mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Stuart Florida area???

I'll be visiting my in laws in Stuart Florida in a few weeks.. Any riding opportunities in that area?

PMK
    mtbr member
    Yes, Halpat is right there. Several good choices within easy driving distance.

PK

ChiliPepper1
    There is also the Ft . Pierce MTB trail up in Ft. Pierce as well. Have not been to Halipat (Halpatiokee Regional Park) in a while, so not sure to the condition, but those guys and gals in that Airborne MTB Club do a great job maintaining and keeping it groomed.

Here is some info on Halipat.....

http://www.airbornemtb.org/HP/index.htm

Also have JD (Jonathan Dickinson State Park) around that area. Good luck and happy trails!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Thanks..

Thanks, how long is the Halpat trail?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mosovich
    Thanks, how long is the Halpat trail?
    between five and 10 miles depending on the route. the trail floods easily but you can still wing it if you know the right way. join the forum if you want to hook up with some locals (it's worth it!)

ft pierce is 25 min away and is a much better trail, but shorter..about 4 miles. JD is cool but extremely sandy

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The nearby trail choices in Stuart aren't that great. Halpatiokee is an ok trail, but it's by far the flattest trail I've ever seen and that's saying a lot for South Florida. It's also very green. Not much technical challenge there. Ft. Pierce is supposed to be alright although I haven't seen it. Both trails flood very easily so make sure it hasn't been raining recently.

Jonathan Dickenson State Park is a fun trail, but you really have to know what you're getting into. 13 miles of rolling hills steeped in sugar sand the entire way. If you know sand and you're ok with it you'll have fun with this trail, but otherwise not. Go only after it rains. The technical nature of the trail consists of a handful of log roll overs and a single catwalk. Two saw palmetto root sections are fun for some and irritating torture for others. Towards the end of the trail is Bunker Hill consisting of the only expert downhill sections in the general region. Drops, stairs, table top jumps, etc. If you like that kind of thing, then Bunker Hill alone makes JD worth visiting since it's only 15 minutes from Stuart.

If you really want to see a nice trail while you're visiting, you have two basic options. Santos is two hours north of Stuart just past Orlando. Sixty miles of quality woodland trails make this one of the best trails in all of Florida. Markham park is just north of Miami and is touted by many if not most as the best trail in Florida. It's probably two hours away for you as well, but may be worth it if you want to see the Miami area too. Markham has trails for all skill levels including hills you wouldn't know exist in this part of Florida. Gnarly technical sections as well as flowy single track covered in shady trees make this one of my favorite trails.

If you decide to ride JD or Markham I'd ride with you. Also if you want to ride any of the trails in Palm Beach County (none of which I mentioned) I'll meet you for those as well. Those include Pinehurst, Dyer Park and also Quiet Waters. You can look them up in the trail reviews section if you're interested in them. They're not bad.

Have a good trip!

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge
    The nearby trail choices in Stuart aren't that great. Halpatiokee is an ok trail, but it's by far the flattest trail I've ever seen and that's saying a lot for South Florida. It's also very green. Not much technical challenge there. Ft. Pierce is supposed to be alright although I haven't seen it. Both trails flood very easily so make sure it hasn't been raining recently.
    Have a good trip!
    fort pierce is absolutely worth a visit -- it's a lot of fun -- just short.

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge
    If you really want to see a nice trail while you're visiting, you have two basic options. Santos is two hours north of Stuart just past Orlando........
    Santos is more than 2 hours drive from Stuart and is not just north of Stuart. Santos is between I-75 and 441 in Santos, just south of Ocala, FL. At least a three hour drive from Stuart. Santos is a 2 hour drive non-stop from the Melbourne/Palm Bay area though. Though it is well worth the drive to Santos, Markham, Carter, Alafia, and Oleta are closer, but then you have Ft. Pierce which is in your neck of the woods and is a very fun trail to ride, though not very long, but can be looped. Not sure if they started building the new trails like was mentioned to me by several members of the local bike club there that maintained it in the past.

Anyways, whatever you (OP) choose, have a blast and happy trails to you.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ChiliPepper1
    Santos is more than 2 hours drive from Stuart and is not just north of Stuart. Santos is between I-75 and 441 in Santos, just south of Ocala, FL. At least a three hour drive from Stuart. Santos is a 2 hour drive non-stop from the Melbourne/Palm Bay area though. Though it is well worth the drive to Santos, Markham, Carter, Alafia, and Oleta are closer, but then you have Ft. Pierce which is in your neck of the woods and is a very fun trail to ride, though not very long, but can be looped. Not sure if they started building the new trails like was mentioned to me by several members of the local bike club there that maintained it in the past.

Anyways, whatever you (OP) choose, have a blast and happy trails to you.
    not much has been done lately outside of maintenance. the trail was closed for a while for legal issues but things are looking up now.