Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    37

    SS at Razorback?

    Hello Florida Folks,

    I plan to start heading your way every now and then. I live in the dead zone (south Georgia) in the summer, and in north Georgia in the winter. I am interested in riding your Razorback area. Everyone raves about it here. Maybe even race the 6 hour race in February. Same with the Santos trails. I am a dedicated fixer. How is that area for SS and fixed gear? Possible to clear a whole lap without walking? San Felasco trails were awesome. How does it compare to there?

    Thanks

  2. #2
    yeah, uh............bikes
    Reputation: FloridaFish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,711
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwmojo
    Hello Florida Folks,

    I plan to start heading your way every now and then. I live in the dead zone (south Georgia) in the summer, and in north Georgia in the winter. I am interested in riding your Razorback area. Everyone raves about it here. Maybe even race the 6 hour race in February. Same with the Santos trails. I am a dedicated fixer. How is that area for SS and fixed gear? Possible to clear a whole lap without walking? San Felasco trails were awesome. How does it compare to there?

    Thanks
    I don't think it's even fair to compare San Felasco to Razorback. I ride San Felasco close to every day and love the trails out there, good trails with miles of nice flowy singletrack. Now Razorback is a different animal completely. Someone said that Razorback and San Felasco have the same amount of elevation change but I have a hard time believing that. I guess if you consider that San Felasco is twice the length of Razorback it may be true.

    Ok, back to your question. My opinion would be that Razorback would be absolutely impossible to clear an entire lap without walkin on a singlespeed, let alone a fixed gear. Razorback has lots of steep ups and downs where you gotta really pound the pedals to get through. I think a fixed gear bike would be down right dangerous on the trails, too many rooty, rocky downhill steep sections.

    That being said, if you actually can ride that course on a SS fixed gear bike then you are the best rider I have ever, and probably will ever see.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    11

    SS at Razorback

    JRWMoto, if you been riding SS for awhile, i would say Reddick is doable. Last 12 hours there, i was riding with a guy who did the whole lap on a SS. It's just going to take practice. I would also suggest Hanna park in Jax, Graham Swamp in Palm Coast and Spruce Creek/Martins Diary/Doris Leeper-its official name, in New Smyrna Beach. Also if you are looking for ride partners up in N Georgia go to bodbikegroup.com it's a fun group of people in the Atlanta area that has rides posted all the time. jaydog

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    37
    hmmm,
    so far i have one person who thinks its super tough and another who thinks its doable. i think i'll come down and try it out. probably in mid november. i'd like to put the 6 hour race in february on my race schedule. i guess i can come try the course out and decide if i think its a go. it would be good to know how many racers attempt the endurance race on SS or fixie. anybody know?

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    327

    do-able

    I have ridden razorbck on my single. Not the easiest but definitely doable. I like 34 x 18 on that course. The only tough part is preserving momentum when making 90 degree turns and then going straight up a steep pitch.

  6. #6
    Homey the Clown
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    185
    Quote Originally Posted by jrwmojo
    hmmm,
    so far i have one person who thinks its super tough and another who thinks its doable. i think i'll come down and try it out. probably in mid november. i'd like to put the 6 hour race in february on my race schedule. i guess i can come try the course out and decide if i think its a go. it would be good to know how many racers attempt the endurance race on SS or fixie. anybody know?
    I've ridden Reddick many times ss (ss is all I've ridden for almost 6 years). I can ride up every hill there, and usually ride in a 32:18 equivalent (I ride 29) if I'm doing more than a lap or two. I've actually ridden in fixed gear on a converted hybrid with cross tires. It's a little harder to clean everything that way. I've even ridden down triple dipper on my fixie. That was a little sketchy and I don't think I'd ever do big gulp.

    As for ss'ers at the 12 hour, check out this year and last year's results at http://www.goneriding.com. Last couple of years they had ss class, so finding those finishers shouldn't be too bad.

    I'm also the one who has posted in the past that Reddick and San Felasco have the same amount of elevation change (I have an altimeter). The reason for this is that Reddick has loooong stretches of flat, whereas at SF you are going up or down almost the whole time once you finish the starting trail. Even though the climbs are gradual, they can be pretty long.

    Take the ss to Reddick, even try the fixie, you'll have a blast.

    jimbo

  7. #7
    rey
    rey is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    61
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    I've actually ridden in fixed gear on a converted hybrid with cross tires. It's a little harder to clean everything that way. I've even ridden down triple dipper on my fixie. That was a little sketchy and I don't think I'd ever do big gulp.


    jimbo
    man, hats off to you for doing reddick on a fixie.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •