mtbr member

Southeast Mini Road Trip

I posted this in the Destinations forum but that apparently sees little use. So I'm reposting here.

I don't know when I'll find the time, but I'm hoping to put together a short road trip to hit some of the best trails of the Southeast. I live in NE Atlanta and have a good selection of local trails to ride. However, there are quite epic trails in the 2-5 hour driving range that I've never ridden. Here's a rough plan.

Day 1: Drive to Brevard, NC, ride Dupont (I've ridden it and LOVE it). Stay in Asheville area (I have a place I can use)
    Day 2: Pisgah
    Day 3: Drive west, ride Tsali.
    Day 4: Drive to Chattanooga, ride Racoon Mountain.
    Day 5: Drive to Dahlonega, Ride Bull and Jake Mountain. Head home.

That's 5 fairly epic trail networks, only one of which I've ridden. Thoughts?

EDITED: Then, as I pasted this in, I thought to myself, "self, you can hit each of these as a day trip. If you're gonna road trip, head west!
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    I would try and add another day or two in there, if possible, to ride Tanasi and Pinhoti after Chattanooga on your way to Bull.

They are both IMBA Epics or Hall of famers and absolutely warrant a visit in their own right in a tour of the southeast's best trails. There are mutliple campsites to choose from but the most convenient ones are going to be Thunder Rock at Tanasi and Mulberry Gap at Pinhoti. Information can be found online about both of them.

Sounds like a great trip though.

mtbr member
    Thanks! I actually ride Pinhoti quite a bit so I didn't include it on my trip. I'll look into Tanasi as well.
    Yeti ASR-5
    Niner One 9

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Have you ridden Oak Mountain State Park in Birmingham and Coldwater Mountain in Anniston, AL? Those and Raccoon are some of my favorites. Although I haven't had a chance to do Pisgah or Dupont yet, I really want to. Have fun!

DILLIGAF
    Did you say west???

Fly into Grand Junction, CO. Ride there for two days. Then head to Fuita, Co and ride for two days. Then on to Moab for as long as you can stay. Do not miss Holy Cross in Grand Junction, 18 road in Fuita or The Whole Enchilada in Moab. The Whole Enchilada will change you!!!!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by msimmons View Post
    Did you say west???

Fly into Grand Junction, CO. Ride there for two days. Then head to Fuita, Co and ride for two days. Then on to Moab for as long as you can stay. Do not miss Holy Cross in Grand Junction, 18 road in Fuita or The Whole Enchilada in Moab. The Whole Enchilada will change you!!!!
    That sounds like a plan. Spring?

Forget the road trip if you haven't ridden pisgah. Ride there and Dupont for four days. Catch a recovery ride at tsali or BC on the fifth day.