mtbr member
    Sep 2005

South Florida Issues!!! Hurricane

Anyone know the status of the South Florida Trials? I know Quiet Waters is a mess!

I'd like to volunteer to help clean the trails, who can I speak to?
    [SIZE=3]If It's Too Loud Your Too Old!![/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by fallenself
    Anyone know the status of the South Florida Trials? I know Quiet Waters is a mess!

THEY ARE TRASHED............PERIOD. BRING BIG CHAINSAWS AND A HUNDRED PEOPLE. THE ONLY ORGANIZED TRAIL REPAIR GOING ON ARE AT OLETA STATE PARK IN NORTH MIAMI ON SUNDAYS AT 9:00 A.M. THE RANGER STATION AND ALL THE STRUCTURES ARE PRETTY MUCH DESTROYED. THERE ARE PHOTOS POSTED OF QUIETWATERS ON THE ONLINE FORUM AT CLUBMUD.COM. IT LOOKS LIKE THERE WILL BE NO TRAIL RIDING IN SOUTH FLORIDA FOR SOME TIME. BUMMER, FOR SURE. LOTS OF HARD WORK AHEAD. MOUNTAINBIKE TRAILS ARE REALLY LOW ON THE LIST FOR REPAIRS BY THE STATE AND RESPECTIVE COUNTIES WHEN POEPLE STILL DON'T HAVE ELECTRICITY IN AREAS, AND STREET LIGHTS DON'T WORK AND THINGS LIKE THAT. ON A BRIGHTER NOTE, NEXT WEEKEND IS FAT TIRE FESTIVAL AT ALAFIA STATE PARK NEXT WEEKEND. CHECK WITH SWAMPCLUB.ORG FIR REGISTRATION AVAILABILITY

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mtb777
    THEY ARE TRASHED............PERIOD. BRING BIG CHAINSAWS AND A HUNDRED PEOPLE. THE ONLY ORGANIZED TRAIL REPAIR GOING ON ARE AT OLETA STATE PARK IN NORTH MIAMI ON SUNDAYS AT 9:00 A.M. THE RANGER STATION AND ALL THE STRUCTURES ARE PRETTY MUCH DESTROYED. THERE ARE PHOTOS POSTED OF QUIETWATERS ON THE ONLINE FORUM AT CLUBMUD.COM. IT LOOKS LIKE THERE WILL BE NO TRAIL RIDING IN SOUTH FLORIDA FOR SOME TIME. BUMMER, FOR SURE. LOTS OF HARD WORK AHEAD. MOUNTAINBIKE TRAILS ARE REALLY LOW ON THE LIST FOR REPAIRS BY THE STATE AND RESPECTIVE COUNTIES WHEN POEPLE STILL DON'T HAVE ELECTRICITY IN AREAS, AND STREET LIGHTS DON'T WORK AND THINGS LIKE THAT. ON A BRIGHTER NOTE, NEXT WEEKEND IS FAT TIRE FESTIVAL AT ALAFIA STATE PARK NEXT WEEKEND. CHECK WITH SWAMPCLUB.ORG FIR REGISTRATION AVAILABILITY
    LETS SEE IF I CAN GET THESE ON HERE THAT IS A TRAIL MARKER STANDING UP THERE IN THE PHOTO.....THESE TREES USED TON BE POINTING IN THE SAME DIRECTION.......UP!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mtb777; 11-05-2005 at 11:54 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I'm going this morning to Markhim Park, I'll let you know what I see.

mtbr member

Good job! Recon Anyone!!

I'm going this morning to Markhim Park, I'll let you know what I see.
    COOL, I'M TO HEAD BY QUIET WATERS AFTER CHURCH AT CALVARY CHAPEL AND THEN TO OLETA........THEN TO MY PARENTS FOR SOME MORE PRUNING!!!! I'LL POST WHAT I'VE SEEN AS WELL.. : LATER, KEVIN

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I went by JIM's Bicycle Shop and signed up for help clear the trails when they open up.

mtbr member
    I went by JIM's Bicycle Shop and signed up for help clear the trails when they open up.
    yeah, i did the same!! it's pretty dismal as for as.......
    1.) i walked or tried to walk into several sections of trails and could hardly recognise any piece longer than 20 or 30 feet in any direction. it looks like the trails will need to be cleared with a bulldozer or some heavy equipment and then completely new trails will need to be laid out on the new leftover terrain. there are places where 3 or 4 trees have been up rooted together, leaving big holes. i tried to walk straight north from s.w. 10th street and couldn't get more than 20 feet into the riding areas. there are a few "not-so bad areas" west of the two-lane highway where minor clearing and cutting would clean up these areas, but looking overhead there are broken off tree trunks all over the place that would have to be removed for safety's sake. some of those would necessitate cutting several other trees just to make that happen. fallen tree rootballs are all over the place and create new obstacles everywhere. MOUNTAINBIKING IN SOUTH FLORIDA WILL NEVER BE THE SAME!
    2.)it seems the recent change of insurance that clubmud had is no longer in effect and we do not have the same type of coverage as well. this is why we cannot go in like we had been able to and fix things like we used to......right away. now, as i understand, we will have to go in and sign waver/ access/volunteer forms and go through a screening process and wait up to six weeks for clearance. this is a broward county issue and would effect both quietwaters and markham parks. this means our trails will sit and rot untill the county feels that our trails are more of a priority to them. untill then, we will have to wait. oleta is a state park and by that, are allowing citizens and volunteers to do trail repairs and maintenence right away. i heard there were a hundred people down ther today kicking butt. i went down there after stopping by quietwaters and jim's bicycles and was told they were done for the day and they had cleared a couple of sections of trails and that the park (not necessarily the trails ) would maybe open tomorrow. this is the direction that broward county needs to take, so that the trails that WE use every week are repaired, reworked, and reopened. we want to ride and we are willing to do the work, but are not able or allowed to do so right now. i don't have any idea how amelia earhart is doing, i know the IN THE HOUSE CREW has been working at oleta, so steve might be in the same boat as us as far as dade county parks.
    next weekend is swampclub's FAT TIRE FESTIVAL AT ALAFIA on the west coast south of tampa. their trails are in great shape and any hurricane damage has been repaired. it's a great event and i've been signed up for several months. so, thats where i'll be next weekend. i feel guilty, in that i should be here doing what i can locally, but am also excited in that i've never ridden the trails there before and have heard so many good things about alafia's trails. swampclub really does a great job on their events and puts alot of work into them.........and it shows. catch their croom 35/50 ride early next year for a great ride of 35 or 50 miles of sweet single track! it's a great ride.
    gotta run, kevin

Glue Sniffer
    2.)it seems the recent change of insurance that clubmud had is no longer in effect and we do not have the same type of coverage as well. this is why we cannot go in like we had been able to and fix things like we used to......right away. now, as i understand, we will have to go in and sign waver/ access/volunteer forms and go through a screening process and wait up to six weeks for clearance.
    Just wanted to clarify some things:

ClubMud is still in effect, we just don't have a Special Use Permit for Trail Maintenance at Broward County parks due to insurance legalities. This is how it was for the first year or two of ClubMud. We still promote, volunteers for, and fund the trails.

The insurance deal isn't the reason for the trail cleanup stalling. The reason we can't go in is because the parks along with the trails are still royally screwed up. Oleta seems to have been affected much less by the hurricane than both Markham and Quiet Waters. Some riders along with Risk Management will be inspecting Markham in the next few days just to access the initial damage. Quiet Waters has suffered severe damage, and no one besides park employees are being allowed in. All camping reservations have been cancelled by the park through January. Additionally, it is being used as a FEMA site, which is another hold up. Jim from Jim's Bicycles is keeping in constant contact with park management and will let everyone know immediately when we can get in and go to work.

And yup, to work on the trails a Broward County Volunteer packet needs to be filled out. They are available at Jim's and should be available at the ClubMud website soonish.
    Cats just don't feel safe on a moving bicycle, no matter how much duct tape you use. www.adventuresinprocreating.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    THIS IS THE NEW RACE SCHEDULE FROM GONERIDING.COM-

IT APPEARS THAT THE STATE AND DADE COUNTY HAVE APPARENTLY MADE THE MOVES TO ALLOW REPAIRS TO TRAILS NOW. AS WITNESSED BY THE TURNOUT AND PROGRESS AT OLETA. I SPOKE TO ONE OF THE RANGERS AT OLETA SUNDAY AFTERNOON AND SHE SAID THAT THE PARK MIGHT OPEN UP MONDAY(YESTERDAY) BUT NOT NECESSARILY WITH THE TRAILS BEING OPEN. BUT SHE DID SAY THAT THE TRAILS WILL BE OPENING SOON( WHETHER FULLY OR PARTIALLY I'M NOT SURE OF RIGHT NOW). AND THAT THE INDAHOUSE CREW IS SET UP TO MOVE BACK OVER TO AMELIA AS SOON AS OLETA IS DONE AS REFLECTED IN THE RACE SCHEDULE. BROWARD COUNTY........WILL BE A WAIT AND SEE AT BEST. IT LOOKS LIKE THE ONLY RIDING WE'LL BE DOING IS DOWN SOUTH IN THE NEAR FUTURE I'M GAME FOR HELPING OUT WHERE EVER WE CAN GET OPENED UP THE SOONEST. AND IF IT'S DOWN SOUTH, IT'S DOWN SOUTH. IF BROWARD IS GOING TO SIT ON THEIR HANDS, THEN SO BE IT. LATER, KEVIN

Due to Hurricane Wilma, the 2005 Built Ford Tough South Florida Mountain bike series has been re-arranged as far as dates and locations.

Below is the new remaining schedule…

Round #2 11-20-05 - North Miami, Fl - Oleta River State Park

Round #3 12-4-05 - North Miami, Fl - Oleta River State Park

Round #4 12-18-05 – Hialeah, Fl – Amelia Earheart Park

Note: If you had previously pre-entered the Deerfield Beach race your entry has been automatically moved to the North Miami 11-20 race.

Thanks,

David Berger

Gone Riding, Inc.

www.goneriding.com

mtbr member

Smile Oleta Is Now Open!!!!

TRAIL MAINTAINENCE AT OLETA WILL STILL BE ONGOING UNTILL THE WHOLE PARK'S TRAIL SYSTEM HAS BEEN RESTORED...............BUT!!!.....APPROXIMATELY 8 MILES OR OLETA'S TRAILS ARE NOW OFFICIALLY OPEN!! WOOOO HOO!

THE TRAILS THAT ARE NOT YET OPENED ARE.........KITCHEN SINK, DRAGON'S TAIL, FRENCH CONNECTION, AND THE GILLIGAN'S SYSTEM( BOTH TRAILS).

THANK GOD FOR ALL THE VOLUNTEERS THAT BUSTED HUMP TO TO GET THE TRAILS OPEN SO THAT WE NOW HAVE SOME TRAILS TO RIDE IN SOUTH FLORIDA!! THERE WERE AS I UNDERSTAND IT.........OVER 60 THERE THIS WEEKEND AND 100+ LAST WEEK.
    TRAIL MAINTAINENCE WIIL CONTINUE AT 9:00 ON SUDAY MORNINGS UNTILL ALL TRAILS ARE OPEN.

NO WORD ON BROWARD COUNTY TRAILS YET.

ON ANOTHER NOTE:
    ALAFIA FAT TIRE FESTIVAL WAS THIS WEEKEND PAST AND SWAMPCLUB DID A FANTASTIC JOB THE WHOLE WEEKEND ORGANIZING THE DIFFERENT LEVEL GROUP RIDES AT ALAFIA AND AT BOYETTE JUST DOWN THE ROAD. THE WEATHER WAS NICE AND COOL AT NITE AND MODERATE DURING THE DAY, THE FOOD PROVIDED FOR BREAKFAST, LUNCH, AND DINNER WAS TASTY, THE BANDS JAMMED WITH SOME SERIOUS SKILLZ. AND THE TRAILS WERE WELL PREPARED! THESE GUYS AND GALS NOW HOW TO PUT ON AN EVENT! WAY TO GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    mtb777 is your cap locks broken!!!!! Reading any of your posts suck cause most are in caps Please take it off!! Thank You!!

Oh by the way thanks for the update!!
    Trying to enjoy the Ride!!!

mtbr member

... and if we just ...

Quote Originally Posted by 80z28s6
    mtb777 is your cap locks broken!!!!! Reading any of your posts suck cause most are in caps Please take it off!! Thank You!!

Oh by the way thanks for the update!!
    Jeez! It's all I can do to spell correctly and punctuate and gramify...........now I have to get my caps and lowercases. too? Man oh man.............don't you know that i drove Friday for 5 hours in rush hour traffic and missed the night ride by twenty minutes. Ate like a pig all weekend camping at the Alafia Fat Tire Festival............rode 30 miles on Saturday, ate more, partied at the band and back at the campsite with the gang from CLUBMUD. Was one of the last 2 to go to bed BOTH NIGHTS and had to listen to the stereo snoring from Ed and Ralph (even the birds swarmed their tents in the middle of the night because they woke the birds up too!) Rode some more on sunday before packing up everything and NOT being able to find my keys. Then driving back to Fort Lauderdale to unload the truck, cook some dinner, and 2 loads of stinky riding gear and sheets and blankees. Only to relax at the keyboard, check the progress of the trails while I was off having a blast riding and eating and socializing and whatnot. Then taking the time to let you know what i've found out while my sheets and blankets are going through the SECOND FULL ROUND OF DRYER CYCLES! Well anyway to answer your question..................NO, MY CAPS LOCK BUTTON IS NOT BROKEN. I'M TIRED, LAZY,AND REALLY GETTING CRANKY HAVING TO TYPE AND RETYPE THIS SO I GET MY CAPS JUST RIGHT JUST TO MAKE YOU HAPPY...........OKAY.?

NOW GO TO BED BEFORE YOUR MOM GETS MAD AT YOU........................NOW

I TOLD YOU NOW, DAMMIT.....YOU JUST WAIT TILL YOUR FATHER .....GETS.............

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm sorry I hit such a bad note with you. Damn just chill life really is not that bad and no I won't go to bed, thats why I don't live with my parents!!!

mtbr member

oh yeah!

Hey, just funnin' ya...........do you live and ride around here? I 'm just so glad we have at least one place to ride down here now.........although I do need to start riding laps on the Hollywood Beach broadwalk and Dania Beach more and catching a little urban at the same time. Riding the Beach Trails in John Lloyd Park used to be fun when it rained alot and packed the sand. Riding is riding, but single track is definitely the BEST! and Oleta definitely fits that bill. Even riding the levy's out from Markham park is a great workout, even if it is a little boring (but the wildlife can be nice to watch while you're riding) that's around 40 miles or so, so it's great cardio and endurance training. Anyway, take care and ride hard. See you on the trails as they open up ....or maybe even at trail maintainence. Later....Kevin

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Hey, just funnin' ya...........do you live and ride around here? I 'm just so glad we have at least one place to ride down here now.........although I do need to start riding laps on the Hollywood Beach broadwalk and Dania Beach more and catching a little urban at the same time. Riding the Beach Trails in John Lloyd Park used to be fun when it rained alot and packed the sand. Riding is riding, but single track is definitely the BEST! and Oleta definitely fits that bill. Even riding the levy's out from Markham park is a great workout, even if it is a little boring (but the wildlife can be nice to watch while you're riding) that's around 40 miles or so, so it's great cardio and endurance training. Anyway, take care and ride hard. See you on the trails as they open up ....or maybe even at trail maintainence. Later....Kevin
    Hey no problem!!! Yea I ride Oleta and Markham that is when it was open!!! Right now on Sun I'm catching a 40 mile roed ride that starts out of country walk. I'm gonna tr to hit one of the trail maintance days either at oleta or Markham.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 80z28s6
    Hey no problem!!! Yea I ride Oleta and Markham that is when it was open!!! Right now on Sun I'm catching a 40 mile roed ride that starts out of country walk. I'm gonna tr to hit one of the trail maintance days either at oleta or Markham.
    Hey there! A guy who works with me often does that Sunday Publix ride. He didn't ride it last week, but he was told that someone on that ride died. A new guy riding without a helmet, hit by a car, something like that. Do you know anything about what happened?
    Semper Vigilans

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus
    Hey there! A guy who works with me often does that Sunday Publix ride. He didn't ride it last week, but he was told that someone on that ride died. A new guy riding without a helmet, hit by a car, something like that. Do you know anything about what happened?
    That happened about three weeks ago. It happened as people were getting there and warming up. Apparently he was warming up and was hit by a drunk driver. It was an unfortunate event, hopefully some of those guys woke up after that and is more carefull when warming up arund 152!!! That was also my first ride with that gang.

mtbr member

the State of our union SOUTH FLORIDA:

Just an update as of today Sunday, Dec. 4

OLETA RIVER STATE PARK
    Oleta had it's second race and there are no new trails opened up yet but it appears that work has been done in DRAGON'S TAIL, but it's not yet complete.

MARKHAM PARK.
    Yesterday, Saturday, approx. 30 Volunteers were allowed to work at Markham Park and we cleared approx. 4 trails. THE PARK AND TRAILS WILL NOT OPEN UNTILL ALL TRAILS ARE DONE. YOU NEED TO FILL OUT THE REGISTRATION FORMS AND TURN THEM INTO THE PARK OFFICE AND BE INTERVIEWED. WORK DAYS ARE ON EACH SATURDAY MORNING AT 8:00 A.M. YOU NEED TO CHECK IN AT THE OFFICE AND GET A WRIST BAND FIRST OR YOU WILL NOT ALLOWED TO WORK.
    GET THE FORM, FILL IT OUT RIGHT THERE AND YOU CAN WORK THE NEXT WEEKEND, MAYBE SOONER. BUT DO IT SOON.

QUIETWATERS PARK
    Quiet Waters has the same deal going as Markham Park. Go get the forms and fil them out as soon as you can. Forms for Markham Park will not be recipricated to QW, so you have to fill them out again. QW will not be open for Trail Maintenence for some time, but who knows, get your forms in now to let them know we're SERIOUS!

AMELIA EARHART PARK
    I saw Steveo from INDAHOUSE today at the race at OLETA and he said that the Park is essentially cleared and cut (yeah!!) but this coming weekend, on Saturday and Sunday there are TRAIL MAINTENENCE days scheduled to do all the Trail Clearance and Clean-up. This is mostly light work but ALL trails need it. If we can SHOW UP IN NUMBERS next weekend, we will have 2 PARKS TO RIDE IN the following weekend. There is a race scheduled for 2 weeks from now and lets get this next phase of TRAILS OPEN AND RIDEABLE!!!!

Markham can be worked on as we go......but there is ALOT of HEAVY WORK TO DO. So if you want to ride Markham, FILL OUT THE FORMS, Get off your A$$ and CLEAR YOUR TRAILS.
    THE SOONER YOU GET OUT THERE AND DO THE WORK, THE SOONER YOU CAN RIDE. IF YOU ONLY WANT TO RIDE OLETA, THEN THATS THE ONLY PLACE THAT WILL BE OPEN TO RIDE.
    THESE ARE YOUR TRAILS. IT'S REALLY ACTUALLY FUN TO GET OUT AND BUST IT! ALSO.......Markham,......is going to be FAST. bring sunscreen!!

mtbr member

Regarding Park Being Closed

I haven't been in the area for awhile, so hope no one minds me asking as to when park/all trails will be open. I'm interested in camping at Markham when I register to help, Is tent/primitive camping still open? First come, first served basis?

Thanks,

mtbr member

Markham

Quote Originally Posted by XCProphet
    I haven't been in the area for awhile, so hope no one minds me asking as to when park/all trails will be open. I'm interested in camping at Markham when I register to help, Is tent/primitive camping still open? First come, first served basis?

Thanks,
    Sorry I didn't see your post earlier, but last week at trail maintenence, the ranger told me that the campground was trashed. It sits on the west face of the park and therefore took the full unimpeded brunt of the hurrricane winds. I didn't discuss when the campgrounds would be up and running, but i'm sure that they will be on it soon as the prime camping season is coming up with the cooler weather and our "WINTER". You can call the park office and see what they're up to and if there is a time schedule set up for the campground.
    In the meantme........stop by the park office get a registration pack, fiil it out right there....it'll take about 5 minutes to fill out, see if they'll walk you though any interview
    issues then and there, and come by and DO SOME TRAIL MAINTENENCE. We need all the help we can get, even if it's for a couple of hours.

THE TRAILS WILL BE OPEN WHEN ENOUGH VOLUNTEERS PUT IN ENOUGH TIME TO FINISH THE TRAILS.
    THE TRAILS, AS I UNDERSTAND IT, MUST BE ALL DONE FOR THE TRAILS TO BE OPENED UP FOR RIDING. THE ONLY EXCEPTION FOR THAT, AS I UNDERSTAND IS FOR GUNRANGE,WHICH WAS SEVERELY DAMAGED AND THE PARK HAS SOME LIABILITY ISSUES WITH ACCESS AND DOWNED TREES AND FENCING ALONG THE GUN RANGE.
    I WILL POST MORE INFO WHEN IT BECOMES AVAILABLE. I WAS NOT AT THE TRAIL MAINTENENCE AT MARKHAM TODAY, BUT I WAS DOWN AT AMELIA WHERE THE TURNOUT WAS ABOUT 20 OR SO VOLUNTEERS. EVERYBODY SEEMS TO BE RIDING OLETA NOW AND WHEN THEY GET SICK OF RIDING THE SAME TRAILS WEEK AFTER WEEK, THEN MAYBE, SOME RIDERS WILL GET OFF THEIR COLLECTIVE A$$ES AND PUT SOME EFFORT INTO THEIR TRAILS. SO THEY CAN RIDE!!!!!!!!
    IF YOU CAN READ THIS, YOU'RE NOT RIDING (or building)!

mtbr member

Thanks For The Info

OK, I'm going to contact them as my departure date gets close.