Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Trail Rider
    Jun 2009

South Alabama riders and site conditions

Figured I'd make a thread for the South Alabama riders out there. I know there's an Alabama thread, but its pretty much dead, and for the most part occupied by central and north Alabama riders. I expect this thread to get even less participation, but this is where I hope to update reports on the few sites we have available.

Feel free to speak up if your in the area, update if you want, and maybe we can organize a ride one of these days?

In the area we have:
    *Chickasawbogue - lots of singletrack trail with switchbacks and some technical stuff, some elevation changes, some of its flowy, some easy, some not...
    *USA trails - great flowy singletrack and a claypit full of dj type shinanigans, not much elevation change
    *Blakely - double and single track, some elevation changes, fairly easy in most areas, a bit technical in others
    *Gasline - gasline and powerline type roads that have been rutted up with 4wd action, some fast downhills with jumps, and grinding technical climbs, all of its pretty damned hard
    *BackCountry Trails(believe it or not, theres a bit of single track there) - hardpack sand, no elevation changes to speak of, switchbacks

Just over the AL/FL line in the western panhandle are the UWF trails and I believe there are some trails along the Black Water River stretch of park, just east of that; both are within a relatively short drive of So AL and possibly closer to some of us than some of the rides within our own borders.
    Last edited by SuPrBuGmAn; 07-24-2010 at 07:07 PM.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Chickasawbogue on 7/7/10 and some of the lower trails were wet, but most anything with elevation was perfectly fine. Rode Woodsey's Wallow, Black Forrest, Bluff Trail, did the Half Pipe and was completely whipped... Crossed two trees along the way that were newly felled that needed to be walked around. Overall, the conditions were great, not even too many bugs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    where are the backcountry trails?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Backcountry Trails are in Orange Beach. There are several paved bike paths from Hw 161 that run to Gulf State Park and some of the dune lakes within. On the Gulf State Park side, north of the paved trail and east of the golf course, there are several overgrown, unpaved service roads, with single track branching off. I don't know who built them and they don't seem to be ridden often.... but its something to ride.

The Voice of Reason
    if you want to throw pensacola in the mix, the uwf trails are getting a lot of attention right now.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Megashnauzer
    if you want to throw pensacola in the mix, the uwf trails are getting a lot of attention right now.
    Good idea, and done

Please update this thread periodically with trail conditions there. I've yet to ride UWF or Blackwater as its just a bit further for me to get to... but hopefully I can make some time before too long.

The Voice of Reason
    uwf is definitely worth the drive from mobile. if you catch it after a light rain the trail rips. blackwater is coming along but it's not worth driving from mobile.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Blakely on 7/9/2010 and trails were decent. One new tree down, that required a carryover(for me atleast), on Hallett's. Zipped down some of the trails on the other side of the road, Jackson Springs, Green, etc and everything was normal there, some trees down(been there for awhile). Nothing muddy. Bugs were prevelant, but not god-awefull. Damn near ran over a cottonmouth.

uwf is definitely worth the drive from mobile. if you catch it after a light rain the trail rips. blackwater is coming along but it's not worth driving from mobile.
    Thanks for the heads up.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Hit up Chickasawbogue on 7/14/2010 all the trails were dry. I ended up stopping quite a bit, screaming like a girl on most occassions. The banana spiders are out, several met my face

Might start doing USA for awhile, I think they get more traffic and hopefully that keeps the webs clear??? Ugh.

The Voice of Reason
    now is not a good time to hit chickasawbogue.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    now is not a good time to hit chickasawbogue.
    on grounds of banana spiders alone or for other reasons as well?

Probably wouldn't have been so bad had I not been solo, could have split leading and only taken half those spiders-in-the-face.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Gasline for the first time on 7/21/10 with a group that rides it regularly. Its not flowy at all, nor all that scenic, but it does have a cool creek crossing or three. There's alot of fast downhill with some jumps, just gotta watch out for sand, washouts, and ruts(from FWD and 4wheelers). It was incredibly challenging for me, felt bad for holding up the group I was riding with but they were all good sports about it.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Went back to Gasline on 7/22 but didn't get very far before taking a spill that ended my day with a bent derailier hanger.

Hit up the Backcountry Trails in Orange Beach today 7/24/10, the single track on the northside of the paved stuff, spun around alot of new-to-me stuff there... There's a ton of trail, but its not marked very well, and apparently not riden much. No elevation, just switchbacks, couple logs to hop over, mostly hardpack sand trail, but its something to ride. I also rode a few trails down Fort Morgan Rd... They were hiking trails and I'm not sure if biking is actually allowed(although it wasn't listed as prohibited). There was a ranger onsite who didn't know either, FWIW. It made for a nice 6 mile trail through the woods, beach scrub, dune lakes, marsh, and a bit along little lagoon as well.

Bugs aren't bad right now and temps were kept tolerable by overcast skies thanks to Bonnie.

The Voice of Reason
    you ought to also post these rides in the review section. some of the reviews are pretty old. there was also supposed to be a trail near the styx river near the al/fl state line. any news on that?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    No idea about a trail near styx, would be interested in it... I'll ask around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Last I heard about the styx river trails was that it was on private property and the owner wasn't letting people ride. If that has changed thats awesome. I was excited about some new trails. . . This Gasoline trail you speak of is it in the daphne area?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Northside of Highway 90, in between 181 and Hwy98, across from CR13 and extending east/west to Lowes and the Eastern Shore Medical Center.

Its not pretty, but its damned challenging.

Sucks about the Styx River stuff.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Yup, other than all the sand its real fun back there if you can get past where you actually are. Found out my bike floats in that little creek too after the front tire dropped in some hole.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    7/27/10 road at Gasline in the afternoon. Some of the local guys have done a little trail maintenance, clearing the jungle back a bit, moving some trees and stuff. Good ride yesterday, I wasn't any faster than last week, but I felt less like I'd go into cardiac arrest this time around

The Voice of Reason
    there's supposed to be another trail north of atmore near claude b kelly park. last i heard it was maybe 2-3 miles long but that was quite a while ago. that may be outside your 1 hour radius though. keep up the posts. it's good to hear about other tails in our area.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Nice, I'll have to look into that.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode the USA trails on 7/29/10 afternoon, there was quite a bit of traffic out there, but not enough to hamper riding. Mostly just people trying to figure out how to get out - LOL. Trails were dry and in great condition, and as I was hoping, the traffic has kept the spider webbing down

The Voice of Reason
    usa is my favorite trail in mobile. i need to throw a gps in my backpack next time i go so i can see where the hell i just rode.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Since you guys brought up UWF, come on out and check out the trails. There's about 20 miles of ridable trails out there.

With the recent heat, there are some sandy spots right now, but PORC has been doing a good job of maintaining the trails.

If you want to hook up with some locals to ride, come to the Pate Rd. trailhead on Wed. evenings about 5:15 to 5:30, or get out there between 7:30 to 8:00 on a weekend morning.

Check out porc.org for more info about the UWF trails.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Rode Gasline this afternoon 8/3/10, hoping the showers we had earlier in the day would pack some of the sand down. It might have helped a bit... Turned my wheel into a liar and made it about 1/3rd of the way through when I snapped a few links off my chain. D'Oh. The bike was skipping under the load the entire time, which certainly led to other problems... like popping a chain. Anyway, not my best ride.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast