Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2009

SORBA road trip-Oak Mt. Sunday March 29

Heard some talk about it and saw the post on SORBA's site. Didn't see anybody reply to their thread on attendance yet so I thought I would light the fire here. Anybody going? Is there a time scheduled yet and a meet up location? I would be interested in going if enough other people decide to. I don't really want to go by myself. If you want to go post up here with your name and some contact information and if you are willing or have the vehicle capacity to shuttle people down there (split gas with driver). Not sure how you guys usually do these trips. I figure somewhere in Madison would be a good meeting location since its close to I-65. Maybe Madison Cycles parking lot? I haven't been to Oak Mountain yet and it sounds like a lot of people like it, I'm up for it. I figure we could watch the weather through the weekend and make a decision sometime Saturday and post it here and email everybody who wants to go.

-Chris Sallis
    csallis821@gmail.com

re member
    I'm in.

Josh, Camshaft, what do you guys think?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    We are meeting at the Books-A-Million parking lot at University and the Parkway at 8:00 a.m. on Sunday. I'm taking my van and trailer which holds 6 bikes and 6 people (and can squeeze in 7 bikes/people) for those who don't have a certain time to be back.

Tim S.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey Tim, how many people that you have talked to have commited to going already?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Right now few committed, 7-8 interested. Weather is supposed to dry up but be cool Sunday so that might drop the numbers a little.

Go make a difference
    I'd really follow the weather as it doesn't look good at all through Saturday night. As a practice, it's not good to ride trails within 24 hours of a rain event. After all the rain we've gotten this week, I'd give it a few days, personally.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    I'd really follow the weather as it doesn't look good at all through Saturday night. As a practice, it's not good to ride trails within 24 hours of a rain event. After all the rain we've gotten this week, I'd give it a few days, personally.
    Are you speaking from experience with Oak Mnt or just in general? My experience with Oak Mnt is that 3 hrs there is better than 3 days on Monte Sano. As a practice its not good to ride muddy trails, 24 hrs or not. I don't think that Oak Mnt will be muddy Sunday except in the hole that is in the gravel road close to where the Boy Scouts camp.

The Voice of Reason
    we hit it last weekend and it was perfect. couldn't ask for a better trail.
    I'm never gonna be a Rock Star

Not Smart Enough to Quit
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Agreed. Even though OM is mostly rocky, there's been a ton of rain up there & it does get nast in spots. The road along the rige line can get really bad & the creek crossings on the fire road will probably be hub deep.

You might want to post up on bump.org & see what they say.
    The standing eight count & three knockdown rules are in effect on this trail.

http://compvelo.com/content/

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by xray_ed
    Agreed. Even though OM is mostly rocky, there's been a ton of rain up there & it does get nast in spots. The road along the rige line can get really bad & the creek crossings on the fire road will probably be hub deep.

You might want to post up on bump.org & see what they say.

Done it and we will see what they say.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Couple of replies on BUMP saying the trail should be OK to ride.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Clay and I plan on going down there unless it just rains all day Saturday. If its too wet when we get there we figured we might go check out Cahaba Cycles cuz we have never been there and then drive back up to Hurricane Creek. HC is obviously more fun in the dry but still no biggie when wet other than the wet bridges. The only time I have been there it was raining the whole time we rode and it drained well, very few puddles. So that's always another option

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Are you planning on meeting us at B-A-M?

re member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike Poor
    Are you planning on meeting us at B-A-M?
    Yes, 8:00 am Sunday at B-A-M parking lot.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by net wurker
    I'm in.

Josh, Camshaft, what do you guys think?
    I would really like to go. I have a lot going on with school at the moment. Let me see what I need to get done tomorrow and I will give you a call. If I do go, what about logistics? Will I need to drive?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Well??? How was it? Did anyone get pictures?
    Whenever I see an adult on a bicycle, I have hope for the human race. ~ H.G. Wells

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    It was great! Not many pics, I think Tim got some of us finishing the 2 mile climb, but other than that we didn't stop much. Wish you could have gone with us, we will have to make another trip back down there when it warms up a little and dries up some

re member
    It was fun.

I almost wish we would have gone for another loop. I drank one of those 5 hour energy things in the truck on the way there.

At the end of the ride, I think I still had 1.3 hours of energy left!

mtbr member
    Ha! Good stuff Clay.

I have been on a kick of drinking a sugar free Red Bull before I ride. It probably doesn't help, but they sure are tasty.

You guys don't ever ride in the afternoons during the week, do you? I rode up Tollgate again yesterday but everything else was obviously too muddy. I am dying to ride some of the unfamiliar trails like High Trail, and Alms House. I didn't realize just how much area there is to ride on that mountain.

mtbr member
    Yes, lot's to ride and run. But way to sloppy right now for wheeled traffic. Damn mud!

All-most Mountain
    Yeah it was great. I had a catastrophic bike failure and had to walk it out, lucky for me it was towards the end.

29 some of the time...
    I am working on pictures. I snapped a couple, Lamont got most of them though. I will post them up on SORBA once he sends them to me
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

29 some of the time...
    Well, SORBA photo album is being a bit lame. You can see what I have on my web album at http://picasaweb.google.com/anon102/20090329OakMtn#

I am posting smaller images here too
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    were these all the pics from the trip?

29 some of the time...
    Yes, and Lamont sent me a few more yesterday that I will add in a bit.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast