Go make a difference

Sope Creek (ATL) -- 1 BIG step closer!

Good news! After 2+ yrs and 2000+ hours plus of my personal volunteer time and over 4000 hours total volunteer time, I just received word that the regulation allowing mountain bikes on the new trails at Sope Creek has been sent to DC for approval. This regulation is for the new trails we built last year that are closed to bikes presently, and for the new trails being built starting in a couple weeks.

This is HUGE because once signed, we will have 9 miles of trail to ride that's right on the border of the city of Atlanta -- 20 minutes from downtown!

For more information, you can see the latest news from CRNRA HERE.

Please drop an email to CHAT_Superintendent@nps.gov and let them know you appreciate their efforts and the positive movement on this project.

Thanks for your help and support!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Thanks for the update! Email sent. Make sure you update the SORBA Atlanta site on trail maintenance/building days so we can all attend.

mtbr member
    So you guys did a bunch of work building trails that weren't even legal for you to ride? Sounds like ya'll really went out on a limb there!
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbGreg
    So you guys did a bunch of work building trails that weren't even legal for you to ride? Sounds like ya'll really went out on a limb there!
    Yessir. It's called sweat equity. Those trails will be opened up to bikes once the connectors are built and the regulation is passed. Since we are the reason they got the $70k grant money to build 'em, I know it's going to happen. If it doesn't, well, let's just say the NPS owes the Coca Cola and National Park Foundation some money. I feel confident it'll happen......just a matter of time now and I've been waiting 15 years for more trail to ride at Sope Creek so I think we can wait a few more months.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Charles Myrick

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by k2biker
    Yessir. It's called sweat equity. Those trails will be opened up to bikes once the connectors are built and the regulation is passed. Since we are the reason they got the $70k grant money to build 'em, I know it's going to happen. If it doesn't, well, let's just say the NPS owes the Coca Cola and National Park Foundation some money. I feel confident it'll happen......just a matter of time now and I've been waiting 15 years for more trail to ride at Sope Creek so I think we can wait a few more months.

Thanks for the kind words!
    Well kudos! Have fun riding the trails, and maybe I'll be able to get down there and check them out some time!
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Nice, keep us updated! This is huge for anyone around the Atlanta area...
    '12 Specialized RH 29er
    '00 Specialized RH FSR Comp
    And a few beaters for around town

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wonderful news!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    well, let's just say the NPS owes the Coca Cola and National Park Foundation some money.

And the countless hours of time you spent helping make this happen.
    Last edited by ghawk; 10-28-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Go make a difference
    Thanks everyone. So you know, I've created a Facebook PAGE so you can stay current and get involved.

Also, here's what the final trail plan looks like as of October, 2010. The yellow highlighted trails show what the FUTURE of biking looks like. These trails are NOT currently open (nor do some of the exist) but they are being constructed between now and March, 2011. Even once the trails get built, they will not be open to bikes until the regulation gets passed. Please help us by not riding them just because they're there!

Once we get these trails open, I'm going to push for more, along the southwest corner of the property (not shown on this map). If you know the area, this is the two ridges behind the Wildwood office park where the Beast and Junkyard trails are. We can get a couple miles tucked in there and tie in a trail in the buffer zone alongside the Booty Loop (gravel multi-use trail) that ties those ridges into what's shown on the map below. My vision is that Sope Creek will be a top 5 urban trail in the USA, but I need help!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Sope Creek (ATL) -- 1 BIG step closer!-sope-creek-map-bike-shown.jpg  

Charles Myrick

Bro Mountainbiker
    Last time i was in town and rode sope creek i noticed new trail being built. Later i heard that that would be open to bikes. Is there any validity to that? Ill be back in my home town ATL tomorrow for a week and i would love to ride some new trail at sope creek.

So whats the word? If all of that yellow highlighted trail is open im gonna freak!!!

Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Go make a difference
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669
    Last time i was in town and rode sope creek i noticed new trail being built. Later i heard that that would be open to bikes. Is there any validity to that? Ill be back in my home town ATL tomorrow for a week and i would love to ride some new trail at sope creek.

So whats the word? If all of that yellow highlighted trail is open im gonna freak!!!

Sheepo
    Yellow highlighted stuff is not finished being built and is not yet cleared for bike use. Please stay on the main trail, complete with the re-routes in place. And if you're coming in tomorrow, I'd give it till Saturday to dry out -- we've had some good rain this week.

The regulation is in DC and the NPS has advised that they're confident there won't be any issue getting it passed so the yellow highlighted trails will be the new MTB trail system, but we just don't know WHEN. Trust me...WHEN it does get cleared, you'll know because you'll hear a shout of joy and think Heaven just opened up -- that'll be me! We'll throw a big ol' fashioned MTB festival for grand opening too -- complete with a keg or 5, even if I have to pay for it.

Would love to ride with ya if you're down. Drop me a line. I have a beginner clinic on Saturday that I'm teaching and am paddling the Hooch from Holcomb Bridge to Morgan Falls on Sunday. If you can get a boat, you're welcome to join the paddling. Otherwise, I'm available Monday and Tuesday to ride and headed to Montana on Wednesday.
    Charles Myrick

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yellow highlighted stuff is not finished being built and is not yet cleared for bike use. Please stay on the main trail, complete with the re-routes in place. And if you're coming in tomorrow, I'd give it till Saturday to dry out -- we've had some good rain this week.

The regulation is in DC and the NPS has advised that they're confident there won't be any issue getting it passed so the yellow highlighted trails will be the new MTB trail system, but we just don't know WHEN. Trust me...WHEN it does get cleared, you'll know because you'll hear a shout of joy and think Heaven just opened up -- that'll be me! We'll throw a big ol' fashioned MTB festival for grand opening too -- complete with a keg or 5, even if I have to pay for it.

Would love to ride with ya if you're down. Drop me a line. I have a beginner clinic on Saturday that I'm teaching and am paddling the Hooch from Holcomb Bridge to Morgan Falls on Sunday. If you can get a boat, you're welcome to join the paddling. Otherwise, I'm available Monday and Tuesday to ride and headed to Montana on Wednesday.
    Alright. I was planing on waiting till Saturday anyway. Sope creek just seems to get soggy and stay soggy for days. I dont get it...

As for those trails getting cleared, thats the best news i have heard all day. I rode there almost everyday this summer and just wanted more. Ill definitely have to come make a trip back home when they finally open. Im sure ill catch wind of the kegger. I always do.

As for riding, Im totally down. Though Monday is the only day that will work for me out of the two. I have obligations in the morning till noon but i am free anytime after. Ill PM you over the weekend.

The final 2 pieces are coming in tomorrow for my Jabberwocky build so im excited about getting it on the trails and seein what she will do.

Sheepo
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens