Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2012

Soldier's Creek (Orlando, FL area) Bridges Vandalized

Soldier's Creek is a small 1.4 mile trail in central FL. The locals loved the trail and have really made it a great trail for mtb and walkers/joggers etc. Well until last night when someone came through and absolutely destroyed every bridge that is used to cross back and forth across the creek. So upset right now. We will rebuild it better than ever

Soldier's Creek (Orlando, FL area) Bridges Vandalized-59731_10151390598598161_1474749288_n-1-.jpgSoldier's Creek (Orlando, FL area) Bridges Vandalized-537381_10151390597748161_1415585605_n.jpg

mtbr member
    That really sucks! If you have any hunter friends you may see if you can set up a trail cam.

Captain Climber
    That sucks... I used to live in Casselberry and I would drive by this park on my way to Sanford. I didn't realize it was a nice Mountain Bike park or I would have started riding mountain bikes in 98' when I lived there. Can't wait to see what you all do with it to make it better.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Good news/bad news. The Sheriff has a pretty good idea who did it. Proving it in court will be tough. Other good news is that this is a county approved trail and they are sounding like they will help to repair it. We are on standby for repairs till stuff gets sorted out.

There is a Facebook group for the trail and that's where I'm getting most of the info from.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Whoa, I think my sister-in-law rides there once in a while. Bummer...

Jackalope Hunter
    The bridges are already fixed as of this evening!
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Jem7sk View Post
    That sucks... I used to live in Casselberry and I would drive by this park on my way to Sanford. I didn't realize it was a nice Mountain Bike park or I would have started riding mountain bikes in 98' when I lived there. Can't wait to see what you all do with it to make it better.
    Back then the trail was around but much different. There was a a bunch of freeride stuff but it was all bootleg and mostly poor construction.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Yup, all fixed up to be ridable. Ended up losing one bridge completely and repaired the rest it looks like.

mtbr member
    Definitely get some game cams in the area

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    So a few local news channels picked up the story and aired it on last night. That was nice. There is a fundraising site set up here Rebuild Soldier's Creek MTB Park by Andrew Dale - GoFundMe

if interested in helping financially.

Feel Good About Hood
    So after reading this thread I needed to get a quick ride in this AM and was not in the mood for Snowhill. I hadn't ridden Soldiers Creek in AGES, like more than 10 years. Can't believe I was missing out on this. The trails there used to be flow less goat trails with sketchy structures and it was definitely not a sanctioned trail. Now it is fast and flowy with good bridges and even an actual trail head sign. Some sections were really pretty too with all the ferns and the creek. Big thanks to those keeping this trail maintained, I would like to help out too. I will be riding this trail alot more. Even though it is so short I did 10 miles just going faster and faster as I lapped the trail. Good stuff.

What kind of idiot would take the time to bust all those boards? Un-freaking-believable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Thanks pedal/paddle. There are some big things happening in Central FL soon. With Snowhill and Soldier's Creek and a third unmentioned area that is about to get a trail (fingers crossed) we are about to have some more options. A group of us is trying to get a IMBA chapter going. Snowhill will benefit from this with more access to land according to the rumors. Good stuff.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by droanx View Post
    Thanks pedal/paddle. There are some big things happening in Central FL soon. With Snowhill and Soldier's Creek and a third unmentioned area that is about to get a trail (fingers crossed) we are about to have some more options. A group of us is trying to get a IMBA chapter going. Snowhill will benefit from this with more access to land according to the rumors. Good stuff.
    Any details on the third place you mentioned with out revealing the location?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    I am not privy to the details but I know there is a group going through the proper channels for some land west of I-4 but still in the greater Orlando area (sort of). I don't want to name the area and be wrong. Stay tuned to the facebook groups for Soldier's Creek and Little Big Econ (Snowhill) and once we know more we'll post up there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've lived here in Apopka/Longwood for the last 23 years and had never heard of soldiers creek until I saw the story on wftv the other day. Looks like a nice little trail to get your mtb fix on without having to drive too far which has kept me riding the west orange and seminole trail. I did however go riding with a friend this morning at the Wekiva State Park which is another trail I knew nothing about but found it on the internet and read reviews about it being unrideable. We found it to be perfectly fine and enjoyed it alot. I will start a new thread about our ride at Wekiva today and hope to ride soldiers creek soon.

P.S. If any help is needed to rebuild or clean-up Soldiers Creek, let me know. Not sure what I can do but I have power tools, some lumber, lawn eq., etc...
    Last edited by dvdslw; 04-12-2013 at 04:23 AM.

mtbr member
    I am from Orlando and learned to ride on that trail. That just plain sucks. We moved back up north just over a year ago because of crap like this. That sucks.

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by droanx View Post
    I am not privy to the details but I know there is a group going through the proper channels for some land west of I-4 but still in the greater Orlando area (sort of). I don't want to name the area and be wrong. Stay tuned to the facebook groups for Soldier's Creek and Little Big Econ (Snowhill) and once we know more we'll post up there.
    New trail is being planned off Markham Rd. near the Seminole Soccer Complex.

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    While living in Orlando I would ride out to soldiers creek when I was feeling too lazy to ride out to little Econ, any get some dirt under my tires.
    It's a shame that someone destroyed that stuff but maye it's a blessing in disguise with all the coverage and local authorities hip to it.

Maybe more money will be put into the park now?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I finally made it out to Soldiers Creek yesterday with a friend and it was awesome. We did stray off onto what looked like less traveled paths that led us into some deep water and downed trees blocking the paths which I'm sure is thanks to the weather we've been having this week but a fun place to ride for sure. I hear there are more trails across the street? It started pouring yesterday so we left but I would like to know where to enter the other trail? Thanks!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Already tried snow hill now soldiers creek is next on my list, im a real noob but getting a real itch for single track ! Hopefully ill try it either friday after work around 7pm or sunday morning

mtbr member
    May 2013
    With daylight savings is 7pm a good enough time to ride it ? Only time i would be able to make it on a friday after work .

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Soldier's creek is the perfect pre/post work ride! Short but fun

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Made it out yesterday, but after 8PM cause got out of work late ! grrr so only made about 4 laps the long way ! AWESOME ! really love it ! Im a real noob so i take it slowly its a good place to practice and learn to keep pace ! I will be back for more !

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Glad you guys are out riding the trail. I've been sticking to Little Big Econ and Santos for the mileage but I believe a 10 Lap Challenge is on order for me sometime soon.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Santos is closer for you than soldiers creek ?
    I live in the metro west area of orlando and work in lee vista i've gone out to both little econ and soldiers creek. how far is santos ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast