Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snowhill?

mtbr member

Snowhill?

Anyone know if snowhill is still underwater or if it can all be accessed? Looking to do I few laps after lunch!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Last I heard it had dried up some, both from the FB group and from friends of friends. You can stay updated on it here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/LBEbiketrail/

Trailhead Poseur
    I was there yesterday after work (I usually ride there 3-4x per week) and it's pretty much all dried up already. I should point out that I didn't ride the full length of the trail along the river, but at least the section west of the ditch was fine. Everywhere else is good, and the sandpit south of Jones East trailhead was already pretty soft.

mtbr member
    Snowhill?-bike1.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    I was there yesterday after work (I usually ride there 3-4x per week) and it's pretty much all dried up already. I should point out that I didn't ride the full length of the trail along the river, but at least the section west of the ditch was fine. Everywhere else is good, and the sandpit south of Jones East trailhead was already pretty soft.
    I was there too. I was in the little silver Hyundai! Black bike. I think we passed out there!

Trailhead Poseur
    There's a good chance we crossed paths, I ride a blue hardtail Cannondale, and I think I remember the car. I actually live in the neghborhood right next to the South Flagler Trail trailhead, so I pedal in that way from home (that's why I ride there so often). I'll be there this evening, and probably again on the weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I haven't been to Snow Hill in about 10 years but used to have a blast out there with my brother and roommate back in the day! I live in Apopka and have been wanting to ride out there but Wekiva Springs Trail and Soldiers Creek are just a lot closer so we have been going there. My riding buddy and I are off Monday and maybe we'll come out there and tear it up for a while?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjaguar View Post
    There's a good chance we crossed paths, I ride a blue hardtail Cannondale, and I think I remember the car. I actually live in the neghborhood right next to the South Flagler Trail trailhead, so I pedal in that way from home (that's why I ride there so often). I'll be there this evening, and probably again on the weekend.

Yep that was you!

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Yep that was you!
    Cool, I'll say hi next time.

Quote Originally Posted by dvdslw View Post
    I haven't been to Snow Hill in about 10 years but used to have a blast out there with my brother and roommate back in the day! I live in Apopka and have been wanting to ride out there but Wekiva Springs Trail and Soldiers Creek are just a lot closer so we have been going there. My riding buddy and I are off Monday and maybe we'll come out there and tear it up for a while?
    Come on out, conditions are great right now! Was in there last night (Thursday) and rode the full length of the river trail, it was clear the whole way. There was a little bit of sticky mud towards the far eastern end of it (near where it comes out by the overpass on Snowhill Road), but nothing really noteworthy, and even that would probably dry out by Monday. Everywhere else was dry.

mtbr member

from ride today

Snowhill?-dsc00001.jpgSnowhill?-dsc00002.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00001.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	797966Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00002.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	797967
    That's great, one of the last times we were out there I stopped by the water for a drink and noticed a huge gator staring at me from under water! Lets just say my bike was hauling the mail after that!

Trailhead Poseur
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00001.JPG 
Views:	129 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	797966
    I know exactly where this pic was taken! Those two gators were still there today (Saturday).
    Speed solves all problems, except for those things it makes worse.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey guys ! I just picked up a 13 Specialized Hardrock Sport disk 29er.
    I live by metro west just been in Orlando for about a year and a noob to the sport ! Only casualy riden bikes for fun never trails ! I would like to go to that trail but do not know how to get there or what trail to follow ! And looking at those gater picks really dont want to try and run it without experience ! Are there any groups that meet up ? Any tips of what I should carry ? Like a glock for those gators ! Lol I'm gonna buy some tools, spare tubes and pump for emergencies.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=erickxcr;10414755]Hey guys ! I just picked up a 13 Specialized Hardrock Sport disk 29er.
    I live by metro west just been in Orlando for about a year and a noob to the sport ! Only casualy riden bikes for fun never trails ! I would like to go to that trail but do not know how to get there or what trail to follow ! And looking at those gater picks really dont want to try and run it without experience ! Are there any groups that meet up ? Any tips of what I should carry ? Like a glock for those gators ! Lol I'm gonna buy some tools, spare tubes and pump for emergencies.[/

First, never ride alone if you absolutely can avoid it. Second snowhill isn't marked very well so you should ride with someone that has been there. I may go this weekend but only if my plans of riding santos or chuck Lennon fall through. Ill send you a pm if I head out to snowhill! Congrats on the bike! I think soldiers creek is marked better but haven't been there for a while. Good luck

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I'm a real noob, plus I'm so new to this I dont have anyone to ride with :-/ i have a friend who lives close but he does not have a bike + the fact he's always busy with his sons baseball games he has his plate full for the time being ! So I'm stuck riding by my self now
    Gonna see how much a set of 29" tubes a tool pump & carry bag set me back

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by erickxcr View Post
    Hey guys ! I just picked up a 13 Specialized Hardrock Sport disk 29er.
    I live by metro west just been in Orlando for about a year and a noob to the sport ! Only casualy riden bikes for fun never trails ! I would like to go to that trail but do not know how to get there or what trail to follow ! And looking at those gater picks really dont want to try and run it without experience ! Are there any groups that meet up ? Any tips of what I should carry ? Like a glock for those gators ! Lol I'm gonna buy some tools, spare tubes and pump for emergencies.
    First, congrats on the new bike!

The Snowhill trails are in the Little Big Econ State Forest. Googling "Little Big Econ" will get you the location and general driving directions from Metro West. There are two places you can park to get to Snowhill. The main trailhead is called Jones East. It costs a couple of dollars to park there, but you start right next to the bike trails. The other place you can park is the South Flagler Trail lot, which is basically across the street from Joan Walker Elementary School. There's no fee to park there, but there's about 1.5 miles of straight, mixed-use doubletrack to get to the bike trails.

If you want a guide, shoot me a PM before you plan on coming out. Like I said earlier in this thread, I live in the neighborhood next to the South Flagler trailhead and lately I've been in there nearly every day. The trails aren't very well marked and are in a sort of spiderweb-like network. It helps to have some local knowledge to get around, it's very easy get disoriented in there. The best trails also vary depending on the weather. Some parts dry out and become deep sugar sand when there hasn't been a lot of rain, while other parts flood in wet weather.

I wouldn't worry about the gators. There's a good 6-8 ft. drop along the entire length of the river, so they don't come up on the trails. I know where that first photo was taken. Those two had been hanging around in the same spot for about two weeks, but the day I finally brought a camera, they were gone. They were across the river from here:

Snowhill?-img_2030.jpg

Another shot from inside Snowhill:

Snowhill?-img_2035.jpg

Soldier's Creek is a short out-and-back loop in Longwood. It's only about 1 1/4 miles around, and it's basically impossible to get lost on it. It's fun, and worth checking out if you're in the area, but IMHO it's not really worth it if you have a significant drive.

Trailhead Poseur
    One other thing regarding equipment. In Snowhill, it helps to have a compass. I've got one of those little 1-inch ball compasses pinned to my Camelbak strap that I picked up in the hunting section of Walmart. Snowhill is confusing, but the overall area isn't really all that big, and it is a rectangle bounded on all sides. As long as you can keep your orientation and keep generally moving in one direction, you'll run into the edge eventually.

mtbr member
    Everything jjaguar said! Let me know when you guys are going out and if my plans don't go through for a Saturday ride ill meet ya there! Am riding our later in the day is best as its a heat box!!! Peace

Feel Good About Hood
    First, never ride alone if you absolutely can avoid it.
    Gotta disagree with this. Riding alone is my therapy, time to clear my head. Besides it's not like we are riding in some remote wilderness around here.

jjaguar gave some good advice. I have a real soft spot for Little-Big Econ but it has lots of flaws. Biggest being a complete lack of signage. It can be very confusing. Also the sand/flooded issue. By all means go ride it, get lost, find your way out, have fun, bring plenty of water. Just so you know what you are in for.

Soldiers creek is really fun. Fast and flowy, but yes short. You could hit it after LBE fairly easily.

From Metro west I would go to Mount Dora. Well marked and maintained with actual elevation change (nothing crazy but more than anything else around). It's also on higher ground so no flooding issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedal/Paddle View Post
    Gotta disagree with this. Riding alone is my therapy, time to clear my head. Besides it's not like we are riding in some remote wilderness around here.

jjaguar gave some good advice. I have a real soft spot for Little-Big Econ but it has lots of flaws. Biggest being a complete lack of signage. It can be very confusing. Also the sand/flooded issue. By all means go ride it, get lost, find your way out, have fun, bring plenty of water. Just so you know what you are in for.

Soldiers creek is really fun. Fast and flowy, but yes short. You could hit it after LBE fairly easily.

From Metro west I would go to Mount Dora. Well marked and maintained with actual elevation change (nothing crazy but more than anything else around). It's also on higher ground so no flooding issues.
    I agree with the riding alone after your experienced! It is also my therapy!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Thanks, well its a little far out from me and I get off work at 6pm so it would have to be on a sunday or monday that im off.
    and the bike fits in my trunk if i take the front wheel off.
    if anything let me know ima look up the address so I can map out my route to get there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I'm sure one of those guys would meet up with you out at SnowHill. I haven't ridden there yet but plan to some time soon. It is a bit of a drive for you but not hard to find.

Another option for you is to try and ride Wekiva Springs. It's closer. Just head North on Hiawasee, and it will take you right to the park entrance. I ride it at least 4x's a week as it is close to me.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was reading up on it, (wekiva) read its mostly sugar sand and not to fun or enjoyable ?
    I'd meet you up 1 day dont think its to far from me.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I've read those same comments. Like any trail in Florida, it can get sandy when it doesn't rain for awhile. Even then, there are loops and trails you can choose to minimize the sandy sections. We have gotten a lot of rain this week and the trails have been great. I ride with a guy that has always traveled to Snowhill to ride until he came and rode with me at Wekiva. He loves it too.

You should still check out Snowhill, as I will too, but I wanted to give you an alternative a little closer for you after work. I usually ride early morning, 6:30-7:00 but can go anytime. If you are off Mondays, I can meet you there sometime to show you around.
    You'd dig it!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Sounds good, I'm off on mondays ill look up the address on the web I'm itching to hit a trail !

Trailhead Poseur
    Quote Originally Posted by erickxcr View Post
    I was reading up on it, (wekiva) read its mostly sugar sand and not to fun or enjoyable ?
    I've heard the same comments about Snowhill, but you just have to know where to go. Another tip if you (or anyone else reading this) decide to try Snowhill on your own, is to stay off of the service roads.

If you stick to the singletrack, then the only really bad sand is the palm scrub just south of the Jones East trailhead, and even that firms up pretty well in wet weather. The other trails have pockets of sand here and there, but nothing too bad. The service roads though are basically nothing but beach sand. That can be avoided if you keep off anything wide enough to drive a pickup truck down.

(First timers, if you park at Jones East I recommend heading north out of the parking lot. If you go out the south exit you'll hit a half mile of sugar sand straight away and sour yourself to the whole trail system. I don't know if this area has an official name, but I call it the sand pit. Heading west around the metal gate is a service road that you'll want to avoid.

If you're coming up the South Flagler Trail, the bike trail entrance is about 1.5 miles in. There's a bit of a clearing and a bench on your left, to the right a fence with a small bike sign on the post. When you go through the fence, hang an immediate right, and that gets you on the trail called "two bridges". The path going straight leads to a service road and sugar sand. Or you can keep going north on the South Flagler trail, past this entrance, another 3/4 of a mile to the river, where you'll find a couple of other entrances that will take you along the river.

There's also a loop of trail on the west side of the South Flagler trail, along the river, which is probably the most technical riding in the entire Snowhill network. Lots of roots and logovers, and never very busy because I don't think a lot of people even know it's there.)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast