Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Snake Felasco!

the #1 Stunna'

Snake Felasco!

Hey all. I am new to the area (as some of you know). I have been riding up at san Felasco and i have seen about 3 snakes per time i have been there. Is there always that many snakes up there. Or am i just getting *lucky*? I hate snakes! but i guess it does make me ride faster. I was just wondering if this was normal. Thanks for the info.
    I has Bikes

Where is my mind?
    Hey RJ, I'm usually too focused on avoiding the trees and running over rabbits to actually notice any snakes. My sister noticed one once when she went hiking. What routes are you doing at San Felasco? I've never heard of anyone getting bit (not by a snake anyway).
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Snake crossing ...

This one taken right at where you exit Tung Nut (prairie climb back to jeep road). Perfect opportunity to practice your bunny-hopping skills My buddy almost crashed into Bambi when she jolted and crossed the trail in 4-5 feet in front of him on Cellon Creek trail. We always stop to appreciate deer sighting at San Felasco. Once I brought sliced apples and fed a buck. Pure bliss!

-Hans
    Attached Images Attached Images

yeah, uh............bikes
    If you ride out there enough you will see almost every native animal in florida out there. Snakes, rabbits, armadillos, turkeys, alligators, deer, owls, hawks, hogs (although I never saw them) it's all out there. I ran over a few rattlers sunning on the trails, just lift your feet and you'll be fine.

I talked to a guy on the trail once that said he saw 2 alligators out there on sweetgum hill and ravine trail, he said that he had to shoo one of them off of the trail.........I rode the trail about 15 minutes later and didn't see the alligators but I did see some strange animal tracks.

the #1 Stunna'
    hey eric When i was out there last evening, i rode the 1 mile trail for shits and giggles. It is a good warm up ride. And then i rode the 4.5 mile one. I am still finding my way around out there. trails are nice though
    I has Bikes

Where is my mind?
    I was going to hit San Felasco this Friday, but my SO's got a thing that evening. Otherwise I would have been up for a 2-3 hr ride. Went to Razorback last Sunday and am going again this weekend if you're up for it.

Ernie
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

the #1 Stunna'
    ernie, what time are you thinking for sundays ride? I may be down for it. i have not been to razor back yet, where is it? well let me know i may be down.
    I has Bikes

Where is my mind?
    Was thinking Razorback on Saturday actually and doing Felasco on Sunday, but I don't mind switching it. I'd like to head out by 10-11ish.

the #1 Stunna'
    naw, either way is fine with me. I am getting my bike put together. i dont think that it will be done by this weekend, so i will beriding the ole' trek hard tail. it is cool thought, that is what i have been on since i got here. razorback is not a lot of downhill is it.....nevermind, this is Florida!
    I has Bikes

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    razorback is not a lot of downhill is it.....nevermind, this is Florida!
    UH HUH.....
    You may be right

I'm not gonna kid you, I've never ridden in you're old back yard, but.... Well you'll see. You're gonna love Razorback. Having said that I've seen a handful of hard tails out there, and it'll probably be an advantage on those "flat climbs." This is gonna be fun!

Kawasaki, wow, I almost envy you for being on the verge of discovering the rest of San Felasco. Every time I rode a new trail out there I was amazed, be sure to have a camelbak or lots of water bottle though.

also, you should be fine at Razorback on a hardtail. When I was just getting serious about mtbing I went there on my stock 500 dollar hardtail rockhopper. I had a blast, almost died a few times, and finally broke my chain with 3 miles to go but stuck it out and pushed/coasted my bike through the rest of the trail......even went down triple dipper.

the #1 Stunna'
    alright then it is on, I am ready to ride at razor back. I just talked to the people sending my crank set, and they do not think that it will get here till monday, so the jamis will be sitting on the sideline and i will be riding the trek all weekend. I am not oo worried, i rode ole' trusty for 3 years in NC it climbs well atleast. I get beat up on the way down, so i stay in the air as much as pissibe. not the smartest idea, but it makes it fun. i may rather do razorback on sun, but i will let you know. I have a party to go to on fri, so i am not sure if i want to ride a new trail with a hangover. I might be up for it though. It all depends on what the old lady says. If she does not start nagging me, i will prolly tie one one, if she does, i will not.

As far as the water supply, last time i went to snake felasco, (before last time) i used my camel, plus 2 back up water bottles. This state is ****ing HOT
    I has Bikes

Where is my mind?
    I agree, hardtailing Big Gulp and Tripple Dipper are doable. But I skinned both knees big time when I took my hard tail there. Then, that may have had nothing to do with the, AHEM, bike. I agree, about San Felasco, once you get past the first 2-3 miles of Tung Nut, it's a real adventure. You can forget the rest of the world exists.

Where is my mind?
    Wait, did you say you descended Tripple dipper without a chain? How did that feel? I know that it doesn't change the mechanics, but what's it like haveing your feet float around? Tripple dipper is a wierd one. It doesn't look too bad on the way down, but when you look back from the bottom, I swear it looks tripple the size.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Aw shoot I've gone down tripple dipper sitting down one footed attempting to clip in, it isn't that bacd just hold on.

I've never seen a gator at San Felasco but I have seen pretty much everything else out there. The worst was when I was riding late afternoon and came across a big hog back on the ravine loops. Big hogs are alot scarier than gators. The hog won and I went back the other way.

Adam what did you do to your arm? I saw the pics on facebook, looked nasty.

Where is my mind?
    Keep in mind that after Razorback, then there's Alafia (2 hr drive). I have yet to do Carter road or the T.O.E.

Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    Aw shoot I've gone down tripple dipper sitting down one footed attempting to clip in, it isn't that bacd just hold on.

I've never seen a gator at San Felasco but I have seen pretty much everything else out there. The worst was when I was riding late afternoon and came across a big hog back on the ravine loops. Big hogs are alot scarier than gators. The hog won and I went back the other way.

Adam what did you do to your arm? I saw the pics on facebook, looked nasty.
    If you do a search for "graphic elbow" you'll find my story. Basically I finished up a ridiculously boring/easy/flat ride on an old landfill down here (dyer park) and decided I needed some air. There was a jump between two drainage ditches that I overshot and just ate $hit straight onto the concrete, helmet saved my life. I'm still pretty beat up, but I'm hoping to get on my roadbike soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Wait, did you say you descended Tripple dipper without a chain? How did that feel? I know that it doesn't change the mechanics, but what's it like haveing your feet float around? Tripple dipper is a wierd one. It doesn't look too bad on the way down, but when you look back from the bottom, I swear it looks tripple the size.
    It was okay as long as I didn't try to pedal.....made that mistake more than I'd like to admit and ended up with some ugly shins and painful nuts.

I had to take as much speed as possible into some of the last quick g-outs to make it up the other side. I remember grabbing a fistful of roots/grass/dirt at the top of a steep climb trying not to tumble back down with my bike. fun stuff.

the #1 Stunna'
    I am all about seeing what my new state has to offer. I would love to ride all of those trails. The ones that are 2+ hrs away may be a bit more diffuicult, seeing how i work 7 days a week, but i will get there. Once it gets too hot to ride, we can take a trip to my old stoming ground, and i will show you what DH biking is all about. and dont forget leg burning climbs. I am not saying that the trails around here are not hard, but your treails are 10+ miles long Back home ours where 5 or so miles and that was all that the ole' leggs could take at a time. I am totaly ready to be come a full fledge FL rider. That is what i am putting together now, i took my DH bike and am turning it in to a XC. the 7 inch travel of the KONA (front and back) is a bit overkill here. I just got my Jamis frame and am in the process of getting it ready for the FL sun.
    I has Bikes

Quote Originally Posted by kawsakimx6
    I am all about seeing what my new state has to offer. I would love to ride all of those trails. The ones that are 2+ hrs away may be a bit more diffuicult, seeing how i work 7 days a week, but i will get there. Once it gets too hot to ride, we can take a trip to my old stoming ground, and i will show you what DH biking is all about. and dont forget leg burning climbs. I am not saying that the trails around here are not hard, but your treails are 10+ miles long Back home ours where 5 or so miles and that was all that the ole' leggs could take at a time. I am totaly ready to be come a full fledge FL rider. That is what i am putting together now, i took my DH bike and am turning it in to a XC. the 7 inch travel of the KONA (front and back) is a bit overkill here. I just got my Jamis frame and am in the process of getting it ready for the FL sun.
    If you DH/freeride you have got to check out Santos, it's about half and hour south of Razorback. Your Kona would love it.

Its got what plants crave
    I'm down for an MTBR meet. I work in Alachua about a mile from San Felasco. I've ridden there quite a bit.. seen many snakes and animals but only 1 alligator in a pond/swampy area. Once you're 10 miles back in the woods the wildlife really comes out! I ride out there when I want to open up and ride fast or long distance. Otherwise I ride Razorback or Santos but usually on do that on the weekends when I can bum a ride off my buddy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

MTBR Meet @ SBA's Spring Fest ?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I'm down for an MTBR meet. .
    Sounds great Jim!

How about at next weekend's Spring Bicycle festival at White Spring? Here's the sked.

http://www.suwanneebike.org/sbf06sched.pdf

Saturday ride is at SF at 9am. We're heading out there Sunday morning to ride Big Shoals, lunch at Nellie Bly's (could be rally point for MTBRers), stop by SBA HQ, then ride some more.

It's neat to go to big MTB gatherings and share the passion. We went to OMBA's Spring BBQ and that was a blast. Even the kids enjoyed it.

I'd be the big Filipino dude riding a 29er. Holler if you see me.

Cheers from Jax,
    Hans

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by Oragun
    Sounds great Jim!

How about at next weekend's Spring Bicycle festival at White Spring? Here's the sked.

http://www.suwanneebike.org/sbf06sched.pdf

Saturday ride is at SF at 9am. We're heading out there Sunday morning to ride Big Shoals, lunch at Nellie Bly's (could be rally point for MTBRers), stop by SBA HQ, then ride some more.

It's neat to go to big MTB gatherings and share the passion. We went to OMBA's Spring BBQ and that was a blast. Even the kids enjoyed it.

I'd be the big Filipino dude riding a 29er. Holler if you see me.

Cheers from Jax,
    Hans
    UUUUHHHHGGG!!!! The SF ride is scheduled for 8:00 am. Does anyone know what the SF course will be?

the #1 Stunna'
    we should get together and ride the SF trail sat morning. Gainesville representin'! I would be down with meeting some peeps that ride. let me know if anyone else is going to head out there for a sat morning session.
    I has Bikes

Its got what plants crave
    I might make an appearance at the Suwannee festival.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast