Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Snake Creek Gap Time Trials - Who's Going?

Anyone else riding the Snake Creek Time Trials?
    I'll be coming up from Central Florida, planning to do all three.

The trails won't be much different from my normal sandy single track, will they? I have a feeling I'm going to get some serious schooling on rocky trails come Saturday.

DH

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just pre-rode the 2nd half yesterday. It was pretty gnarly compared to all the other trails in area that I've ridden. Knowing the right lines to take through some of the rock gardens will be key to maintaining momentum. I probably won't be able to remember all of it since I've only ridden it once. The last 7-8 miles is the most difficult so don't blow yourself up before then.

mtbr member
    It could be a little extra challenging...

Ellijay weather - Raining now, maybe turning to snow later. Temps drop below freezing a bit after sunset... and don't get above freezing again until Saturday around noon....

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by FloriDave View Post

The trails won't be much different from my normal sandy single track, will they?

DH
    Yep, flat and sandy is exactly what I hear. I'll be there with a few local guys. At least it wont be raining

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    It was a good but brutal ride for me today. Got one of my socks/shoes wet during the creek crossing so my toes were freezing for half the ride. It also froze my drive-train so i was stuck in one gear until i managed to get it working again. Ended up with a 3:52 which isn't too far off where I thought I could finish. My legs are toast.

mtbr member
    That sounds like a pretty darn good time to me, especially with a frozen drivetrain!

I'm bummed I was not able to go. Had everything loaded, bike on car, ready to leave Friday morning, and we woke up with no water in our house. I spent all day Friday and Saturday working on our water well. Sucks because I really wanted to do the 3x34.

Would love to hear some more reports of the conditions up there.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Sub 4 is pretty legit. I came in just under 5. Took it pretty easy never having ridden there and spent more time than usual at the 2 sag stops. Could probably shave 30 off the next one in similar conditions but no where near an hour. Nice ride.

The worst part of doing it SS was the lack of time sitting down. Either out of the saddle mashing, bombing descents, or navigating rocks and pretty blown up by that point. Not really anywhere to sit and let it flow. I was envious of the geared guys by the halfway point just b/c they were sitting on the climbs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah I couldn't imagine riding there on a singlespeed. I was on a hardtail and jealous of the guys on full suspension bikes.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am going to the feb1 ride what are you guys wearing to stay warm but not overheat?

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Started the day in mid-20s, long sleeve base layer, long sleeve jersey and a wind vest. Unzipped/zipped though the ride to regulate heat and almost felt a little over dressed at times but when I hit that ridgeline toward the end and the wind was blowing pretty good that feeling left pretty quick. Lightweight tights and my trusty "came in handy living in the mid-west for 7 years" insulated winter shoes. Worth every penny.

If you don't start the ride feeling cold/a little underdressed then you're overdressed. But who knows, next round it could be in the 60's and we'll all be in shorts and short sleeves.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Was the trail well marked and how did you do the creek crossing? Thanks for any info.
    Kell

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    The trail was well marked. I had never ridden the first half and didn't have any problems. I rode through the creek crossing and got one foot pretty wet. It was freezing until the halfway point and then it seemed to dry out. A couple of friends used trashbags but they got punctured some how and they got wet. I'm not sure what I'm gonna do next time but having wet feet when its 30 degrees outside was not fun.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks Scotty,Probably going to try garbage bags also and change socks if they get wet.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    If the creek is high I think I might just take my shoes and socks off and walk through and bring a small towel to dry them off.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    ^^^^^This is what I did, small paktowel in the camelbak did the trick. Took a minute or two but my feet were happy all day, well, except for the 20 or 30 seconds they were in the creek : )

Course is well marked and had folks along the route keeping everyone herded up. If you get lost blame it on oxygen shortage/lactic acid induced haze. That's about the only way it could happen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Kell12 View Post
    Was the trail well marked and how did you do the creek crossing? Thanks for any info.
    Kell
    If you are asking about the marking because you want to pre-ride it then I wouldn't consider it well-marked. They have folks at the turns during the race. The first time I went out there I was told it was well marked and I got lost half a dozen times. During the race there are volunteers at the turns so it is virtually impossible to get lost.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Yeah the first half might be hard to follow if you were pre-riding. I don't remember how well some of the intersections were marked because it was obvious during the race. The second half has only one spot that is easy to mess up. About halfway through you'll be riding up a dirt road and the trail makes a sharp left turn off it at the high point of the road. I accidentally missed this the first time I pre-rode and rode a mile and a half further down that road and then had to ride back.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    http://www.nwgasorba.org/images/SCG%...20Map%20v1.JPG

This is the most detailed map I've seen of the trail.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Thanks, guys. Good info here i'm getting excited the closer we get.
    good luck in the race!

mtbr member
    heres a pic of the creek at this years 1st race.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Last race tomorrow! Wish me luck!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Couldn't ask for better weather and trail conditions than what we got today. I'm sure most everyone had faster times than the other two. I knocked another 8 mins off previous best and got a 3:32. As good as today was, I think I've had enough of those trails for while after these 3 races and 4 other rides there this year.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Would agree about the conditions...I actually got a little hot. This is my fifth year doing it and I've never said that before. I wore regular shorts and a loose long sleeve top under my bike jersey. I was on pace to best February by a couple of minutes and ran out of gas on Dug Gap. Finished a few minutes slower than Feb, but still happy about the results. If you started around 9:10 we probably would have been back and forth until the middle of Dug.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    No doubt, shaved 15 min off Feb (which was 15 min fast than Jan) and yesterday included stopping to help someone with a broken chain. That first section was really nice and you could definitely tell the work that was done was time well spent. Thanks to the trail crew. And where was that trailer in the creek at round 1? : ) Now I just have to find a belt………….

Bro Mountainbiker
    Yep. I was sweating for a while. I havent felt that since summer/fall!

I was able to pull out 3:02:49 for the 34 mile SS class. Wasnt enough to win, as first place was THREE seconds ahead of me.

Cant believe it. THREE seconds!!!!! ARG, time to get revenge next year.
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast