Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006

Snake Creek Gap ?

I'm looking to head up on Sunday. I've never been there and was wondering if the trailhead is easy to find (probably the 34mile leg) that they use for the TT series.

Also, is there anyone who would want to join me ? I'm a fast rider but I'm not looking to race, just put in some long quality miles. This could be the last day in the 70's for the year !!!. Please let me know ASAP

Brian
    716_359_3661

mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zdinki18 View Post
    I got an email with your actual message but on here it just shows three dots ???

Did you get out and do TM today ??? If so were the trails cleared of leaves enough to have a good time ?

Can you ride tomorrow ?
    Last edited by gobriango; 12-14-2012 at 09:35 AM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Did you know the official pre-ride was yesterday?

To answer your question: the trailhead is not terribly hard to find with the info on the official website and an online map source. I would be more worried about getting lost on the route. There are several places to go wrong. Not saying it is impossible to route find with the maps that are out there, but it certainly is not marked at every turn. Heck, people got lost 2 miles into the pre-ride yesterday and I re-directed a couple of guys that had just blown past one of the turns further in. Would highly recommend going out there with someone who knows the route.

Just wanted to make sure you knew this was point to point as well. Bathrooms at mile 15 and roughly 22ish? (port-o-potty on the forest service climb).

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    Did you know the official pre-ride was yesterday?

To answer your question: the trailhead is not terribly hard to find with the info on the official website and an online map source. I would be more worried about getting lost on the route. There are several places to go wrong. Not saying it is impossible to route find with the maps that are out there, but it certainly is not marked at every turn. Heck, people got lost 2 miles into the pre-ride yesterday and I re-directed a couple of guys that had just blown past one of the turns further in. Would highly recommend going out there with someone who knows the route.

Just wanted to make sure you knew this was point to point as well. Bathrooms at mile 15 and roughly 22ish? (port-o-potty on the forest service climb).

I did find the directions to the TH. They seemed pretty easy. I also found a general map of the route but is there a more detailed map with left, right, and distance info ? I'm pretty savvy with route finding but I have never been in that area and don't know how bad it really is.

Bummer I missed the official pre ride. When I went out riding today someone was mentioning that it was next weekend. Oh well. I'll just head up one of the next weekends.

Do you know anyone to put me in contact with who would want to ride? It looks like you absolutely need another person due to the shuttle needed. (Hence why I had to backout riding it today)

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I'm sure they are out there, but I don't know of any turn by turn directions with mileage. I'll take a look at my Garmin files and put something together.

I think I'll be back out there this Saturday, but I'll be with a buddy who is a self proclaimed "finisher". We'll probably have a ride time of 4:30ish and elapsed time of 5ish. It might be a little slow going, but you are welcome to join us.

mtbr member
    You can always ride the 34 miles and then ride the road back to the start. I've done it before and I think the road adds less than 20 miles to the route. There's some rollers on the road but no terrible climbs.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Ok I think this covers everything:

Leave parking lot and take a right on the gravel road
    2.1 take a right and cross a creek and onto forest service
    1.8/3.9 leave forest service and take a right into single track
    2.6/6.5 leave single track and take a left on forest service
    1.1/7.6 leave forest service and take a left into single track (uphill)
    1.6/9.2 cross paved road into more single track
    5.7/14.9 cross paved road into snake creek gap parking lot (trail continues right of bathrooms)
    7.2/22.1 leave forest service at top and take a left into single track (this is the business end of SCG....it continues to get more technical all the way through)
    7.4/29.5 leave single track and take a right on forest service (at cell tower)
    .8/31.3 leave forest service and take a right on paved road
    1.5/32.8 right into convention center parking lot

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    BTW..route finding is not terribly difficult...just keep looking for the white diamond shaped Pinhoti signs. They have a turkey foot on them. There will be folks out there every weekend for a while. Not big crowds, but you'll run into people.

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    Ok I think this covers everything:

Leave parking lot and take a right on the gravel road
    2.1 take a right and cross a creek and onto forest service
    1.8/3.9 leave forest service and take a right into single track
    2.6/6.5 leave single track and take a left on forest service
    1.1/7.6 leave forest service and take a left into single track (uphill)
    1.6/9.2 cross paved road into more single track
    5.7/14.9 cross paved road into snake creek gap parking lot (trail continues right of bathrooms)
    7.2/22.1 leave forest service at top and take a left into single track (this is the business end of SCG....it continues to get more technical all the way through)
    7.4/29.5 leave single track and take a right on forest service (at cell tower)
    .8/31.3 leave forest service and take a right on paved road
    1.5/32.8 right into convention center parking lot

Awesome ..... thanks !!!!

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    BUMP

Keeping this thread active, to see if I can get some riders together to head up for a ride this weekend.

So how about it everyone ?!??!?!?!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    PM sent

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    If you go to the TNGA (Trans North Ga. adventure) site, you can download the gpx file which covers this portion of the route. There is also a cue sheet available.

Fire it up...
    Feb 2004
    i rode the pre-ride last weekend. it's the best trail in GA, IMHO. I don't know if I can make this weekend, but I will ride it again before December is up. If you need maps, or shuttles, I can put you in contact with someone who has a little bit of everything on that trail.
    LIVE for Today, never tomorrow.

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by RedneckRider View Post
    i rode the pre-ride last weekend. it's the best trail in GA, IMHO. I don't know if I can make this weekend, but I will ride it again before December is up. If you need maps, or shuttles, I can put you in contact with someone who has a little bit of everything on that trail.
    Yes, definitely. Thanks !!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'd love to meet someone up there to ride the route. I've got a flexible schedule so I'm happy to meet someone during the week.

Send me a PM if you want company.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    You guys enjoy that last 8 miles

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    My schedule is totally open for Sunday ..... is anyone in for a ride ???

Looks like it is going to be raining, so earlier would be better. Say 8ish !!!

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    How about it .... anyone up for riding in the AM tomorrow ?????

PM me !!!!!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You need to wear blaze orange because it's hunting season. Also, according to this: Hourly Weather Forecast for Dalton - weather.com

be prepared to get a little wet. Wish I could be there but no way this weekend. Maybe some other time if you will p.m.or post another date.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I'm up for meeting some folks up there. I've got a fairly flexible schedule so toss out a date or two and we can probably make it happen.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think it is not that hard to solo. I rode it 3 weeks ago and parked at the halfway point. It is about a 10 mile ride to the East Armuchee Pinhoti trailhead. It is the same distance from there to the halfway point without having to ride to the actual double track start at Dry Creek parking area. When you are finished with the second half, it was a 10 mile ride back to my car. All in all a 53 mile day and about 6 hours pedal time.

Also it gave me a vehicle at the halfway point to refuel.

mtbr member
    so did u do it Solo in the rain?

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    I ended up just shotting over to Bull Mtn and getting in a quick 3hr ride before the heavy rain came. I really want to ride with someone for the shuttle. If I cant get anyone to go this weekend, I'll just do it solo.

That being said, is anyone up for getting out this weekend ?

Mtb Extraordinaire
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cale399 View Post
    so did u do it Solo in the rain?
    I ended up just shotting over to Bull Mtn and getting in a quick 3hr ride before the heavy rain came. I really want to ride with someone for the shuttle. If I cant get anyone to go this weekend, I'll just do it solo.

That being said, is anyone up for getting out this weekend ?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast