mtbr member
    May 2010

singletrack etiquette: riding in the wet

As we all know it rains a lot during the summer (especially down here in so fla). What is the deal with riding in the wet... frowned upon? okay? prohibited?

p.s. im a mountain bike newbie

thanks

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Get muddy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    There's no consensus on this and you're opening up a pandoras box on flame wars.

The state parks do not have a "law" that says it's illegal/prohibited to ride during the rain or right after. Some local organizations might post signs that tell you not to ride in the rain or within 24 hours. Those signs have no legal merit but if they're kind enough to ASK you, why not comply.

Personally if I'm at the trail and I want to ride, I'll ride. During the rain I usually go to the sandy trails which are way more fun to ride in the rain or right after. There are plenty of those around here.

Your choice.

mtbr member
    After seeing the impact on a few trails around here I frown upon riding certain trails in/after heavy rain.

It really depends on the trails though. Up here in Central FL it is hit or miss. Some hold up to rain better than others. Obviously the lower lying trails that easily flood should be avoided until they get some time to dry out. Same goes for trails that easily wash out or ones that are primarily clay (stuff gets super slippery/sloppy after rain).
    Signature

banned
    I really love riding in the mud. Get out and ride, who gives a damn what anyone else thinks. Unless a trail is getting a huge amount of traffic when it's wet, the damage is usually exaggerated by groups that think they hold some sort of "authority".(they don't btw)

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    FTP tends to get some deep mud holes if it is rode when it is very wet and muddy. The deeper they get the longer they take to dry up. BUT there is some mud holes out there most of the time.

JD is so sandy it is no big deal to ride right after a rain. That is actually the only time I woudl ride there.

QW and Markham have some much of a rocky surface most the trails there are probably ok to ride while wet.

Overall it is probably a trail by trail answer. If you are riding through deep mud causing ruts -> not good. if you are just slipping on wet roots and rocks no big deal.

What trail or trails do you regularly ride?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Oleta and Amelia.. im not ready for Markum yet. Im down in Miami btw... not sure which trails you were talking about except markum.

Today I rode at Oleta and it had been raining for a good amount the last few days but not today. They were working on one part that looked like it had been washed out. The rest was pretty dry with big puddles here and there which I avoided as much as possible.

thanks for the insight guys

That's damn yankee to you
    Aug 2008
    Avoiding the puddles can cause more damage by widening the trails. IMHO if you are dodging puddles you shouldn't be riding there after a rain.
    Quote Originally Posted by Impy
    You know....... whatever bike they are riding, assure them its the biggest bike of any guy you have ever ridden with.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    If you're near Miami then you're near the best trails SoFla has to offer. But, if you're ever seeking variety there's a handful of trails in Broward and Palm Beach that are worth checking out.

QW (Quiet Waters)
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...9_4540crx.aspx

JD (Jonathan Dickenson)
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4540crx.aspx

Pinehurst
    http://trails.mtbr.com/cat/united-st...1_4540crx.aspx

All three of these trails are ok to ride when wet. QW is gravelly so it drains really well and the trail doesn't take damage from ruts. JD is only enjoyable when wet because of deep sugar sand. Pinehurst drains easily as well and doesn't develop puddles. The trail is sandy in parts and has a pine needle covering on the rest and doesn't rut when wet. Your tires might slide around a little on the dozen or so log overs scattered around - that's the only issue you'll have.

mtbr member
    driver, msg me ur cellphone. A group of us usually rides Oleta/Markham every weekend... I'll include you in the mass txt if you want.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by WickedGood
    Avoiding the puddles can cause more damage by widening the trails. IMHO if you are dodging puddles you shouldn't be riding there after a rain.
    Sorry.. I should have been more clear. Most of the puddles were in the connecting gravel/dirt roads (not trails). On the actual trails... in 2 hours if riding, I saw maybe 4 puddles... but then again I am kind of slow.