Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010

SE riders - what wheel and tire combo are you running?

Hey all,

Getting back into the saddle after a 15 yr hiatus. Former ride was Reynolds steel Diamondback Response Comp. It was a high end bike back in '94-'95 with all XT group.

Anyway, I am building a 29er full rigid. The wheels have me going in circles, but I'm not getting anywhere. I was curious as to what others ride. I am 200lbs dry, and my previous style was mash. mash, mash, and I don't think that will different 15yrs later.

I am rather stuck on some combo of Stans Flows or Arches. Tires are a complete mystery to me.

I know there is all sorts of terrain in the SE, and we go from deluge to drought. I am in GA, so I expect to do most of my riding in state.

What combos have worked well. Are many of you swapping wheel sets out frequently for different trails? Do many of you find that wider rims, like the Flows (28mm), are needed or is something the Arches (24mm) wide enough? What about tire pressures?

Thanks-- I'm struggling with this part, and it is holding up my build. I really want to get back into some riding shape before fall when things cool down a bit and a can have some fun

mtbr member
    I like Arches with a Nevegal up front and Karma in the back. Can't go wrong for most places, and fast rolling enough to race on as a non-pro type.

Speedbump
    Racing Ralph - originally in central FL (Alafia, Boyette) but it works very well in central AL (Oak Mountain, etc)

Maxxis Ardent/Crossmark on the SS. Good combo for here.
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

mtbr member
    Front - WTB Exiwolf 2.3
    Rear- WTB Velociraptor 2.1

Best combo ever, except I think I would prefer a HighRoller on front.

mtbr member
    Running WTB Exiwolf 2.3 front/rear on my SS rigid and Bontrager XDX 2.1 front/rear on my geared HT. Both are 29ers.

Exiwolf seems to hook on everything when they are new. Downside is the traction seems to have dramatically suffered with wear in that at some point during wear it starts getting very poor traction (and I still have plenty of tread left).

The XDX seems to be good for just about everything. Even though it is a 2.1 it looks to have larger volume than the 2.3 Exiwolf. They seem to shine at lower pressure and float over the sand that is common down here.
    Signature

mtbr member

Great tire combo!

Nevegal dtc up front and a small block 8 in the back. King iso disk with the large body hub up front and mavic 819 wheels. Do anything wheel setup.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    I am running stans arch wheel and love them. I am running Schwalbe Nobby nic (snakeskin sidewall) up front with 21 psi. I am running the Scwalbe racing ralph 2.1 in the rear (snakeskin sidewall) at 25 psi. Great tire combo but verry expensive. I have a friend that swears by the Geax surgarro f/r and loves them. You can get those for around $35 per tire.
    Ride it like you stole it!

yeah, uh............bikes
    Schwalbe Fat Alberts, front and rear, nice beefy tire that works well just about anywhere.

mtbr member
    I don't think they offer the Fat Albert in a 29 anymore.
    Ride it like you stole it!

banned

Good job! +1 on the XDX

Quote Originally Posted by A1an
    Running WTB Exiwolf 2.3 front/rear on my SS rigid and Bontrager XDX 2.1 front/rear on my geared HT. Both are 29ers.

The XDX seems to be good for just about everything. Even though it is a 2.1 it looks to have larger volume than the 2.3 Exiwolf. They seem to shine at lower pressure and float over the sand that is common down here.
    The XDX is a great rear tire, but I run a Bontrager Jones XR/Front specific2.25 on the front. Specialized also makes several brands of 2bliss 29er tires - on my other bike I run a Purgatory up front and a Fasttrack in the back( Specialized). Hope hubs laced to Flows the Flows are great and you can pump up a tubeless tire with a floor pump. I also have I9 hubs laced to Stan's Crest rims for a lightweight wheelset.Ths XDX's seem to wear out faster but they are the shiznek! and yes the 2.1s seem alot wider.

mtbr member
    all mountain industry 9's wrapped in 2.4'' mountain kings
    ride more. work less.
    2010 ibis mojo sl
    2010 motobecane fantom 29er SS
    2009 kilo tt fixed gear

not so super...
    My favorite all-rounder 29'r tire is the Maxxis Ardent. If you can fit the 2.4 in your frame I highly suggest doing so. The work flawlessly on Stans Flow rims mounted tubeless.

Traction in the Ga hardpack is confidence inspiring even through the pinestraw litter. The only place they are lacking is in the mud but we shouldn't be riding muddy trails anyway.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I have been running 2.4 MK's for over a year now and I am pretty happy with them, BUT they are heavy compared to a 2.25 or 2.1 tire. So I am looking for something lighter. I have a 2.2 MK on my SS and I am not as happy with it as the 2.4's.

Blooper, Where do you normally ride? and you are very happy with the schwalbes? I have been contiplating getting a NN for the front and a RoRo for the back. Isn't the RoRo a little beefier than the RaRa? I THINK going to the NN & RoRo in 2.25 will drop over a pound of rotaional weight.

Thanks ( this isn't highjacking is it?)

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Conti MK Supersonics in 2.4 front and 2.2 rear for races. Maxxis Swamp Things 2.3 front and rear for regular riding. The Swamp Things are slow and heavy but grip to Hell. The MK Supers are light and fast and grip just about everywhere but don't live long.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Conti TK 2.2 front and back on Flows. 20psi front 25 psi rear.

TRANCER
    2.1 Nevegal stickee up front and 2.1 Nevegal DTC in the rear on crank brothers cobalt wheels.
    Ride

aka übermensch
    Schwalbe Nobby Nic 2.1 on CB Cobalt wheels on my full suspension.

Schwalbe Rocket Ron 2.1 on CB Cobalt wheels on my single speed.

Both UST versions
    08 Ibis Mojo SL
    09 Ibis Tranny SingleSpeed

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Flboy
    I have been running 2.4 MK's for over a year now and I am pretty happy with them, BUT they are heavy compared to a 2.25 or 2.1 tire. So I am looking for something lighter. I have a 2.2 MK on my SS and I am not as happy with it as the 2.4's.

Blooper, Where do you normally ride? and you are very happy with the schwalbes? I have been contiplating getting a NN for the front and a RoRo for the back. Isn't the RoRo a little beefier than the RaRa? I THINK going to the NN & RoRo in 2.25 will drop over a pound of rotaional weight.

Thanks ( this isn't highjacking is it?)

Save a bunch of cash and get the Maxxis instead of the Schwalbe.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Well I got a set of Blunts on XT hubs for $220. They should get me rolling for now and be able to take some abuse. I am also most likely picking up some Big Apples for street use. Again, I haven't been on a bike in 15 years - crazy. No sense spending a mint until I know were I'm at.

The Blunts are wide at 28mm, and ideally I wanted something between 24mm in 28mm for testing purposes. But wide it is. That should allow me to run larger volume and lower pressures I guess.

I don't think I can get any wider than 2.3 according to Vassago.

Would any of the 2.2 or 2.1 tires mentioned be too narrow for a 28mm rim?

The Tyranical Teabagger
    Stans ZTR Arch with Lefty/King hub and WTB Wolverine's on front and rear for both my 26 and 29er. If I'm feeling crazy I'll go with Conti Race King's on my 29er. I'm new to the Atlanta area so I'm still kinda testing the waters with my tire selection but have been very happy with the Wolverine's so far.
    I like bikes.
    2012 Transition TransAm 29er
    Salsa Selma with 80m Lefty

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by OdinOrion
    Well I got a set of Blunts on XT hubs for $220. They should get me rolling for now and be able to take some abuse. I am also most likely picking up some Big Apples for street use. Again, I haven't been on a bike in 15 years - crazy. No sense spending a mint until I know were I'm at.

The Blunts are wide at 28mm, and ideally I wanted something between 24mm in 28mm for testing purposes. But wide it is. That should allow me to run larger volume and lower pressures I guess.

I don't think I can get any wider than 2.3 according to Vassago.

Would any of the 2.2 or 2.1 tires mentioned be too narrow for a 28mm rim?
    The Ardent comes in a 2.25 also. I just barely fits my 1st gen Vassago. The Crossmark and Ignitor 2.1 will both fit.
    Nothing to see here.

Bike Addiction
    Titus RX- Small Block 2.1 rear Specialized Captain 2.2 front fairly fast rolling and decent grip

Speci XC- Stickey Nevegals 2.1 both Slow rolling but good grip on just about everything
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

At Work
    Stan's Arch's with 2.35 Nevigal Front and 2.1 Nevigal Rear. Best combo I have tried so far.

Hey Sable, was the SB8 on your X a wire bead or Kevlar?
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

Bike Addiction
    Kevlar. I like the tire but I get alot flats. May try something a little thicker next time.
    Edit: It may be b/c the tire is about worn out. Having most of the flats lately.
    Last edited by 00sable; 08-27-2010 at 11:37 AM.
    Disclaimer: Always get a second opinion cause I'm just guessing

Singletrack Slayer
    2.1 Nevegal dtc front and rear on Mavic Crossmax SLRs on FS Love them

2.24 WTB Motoraptor front, 2.2 WTB Wolverine rear on XT hubs, dt spokes 14g, Sun Rhyno lites 32 H, my handbuilt do all wheelset going 6 yrs strong! on FS SS

2.3 Nevegal dtc front and 2.2 Wolverine rear on HT with Sun equalizer rims and xt hubs
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast