Thread: SC Trails

mtbr member

New question here. SC Trails

Hi, My wife and I are planning a short vacation in mid March to SC, not sure what part, I was hoping to be able to get some input from some locals on where there would be some good trails to ride. Doesn't have to be real technical, just some good basic xc trails would be fine. Thanks. Johnny P

mtbr member

www.sorbacsra.org

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyp060
    Hi, My wife and I are planning a short vacation in mid March to SC, not sure what part, I was hoping to be able to get some input from some locals on where there would be some good trails to ride. Doesn't have to be real technical, just some good basic xc trails would be fine. Thanks. Johnny P

Check out the trails button on the above mentioned website and you will see some of the best trails in SC. If you like to camp you can stay at Hickory Knob or Baker Creek state parks.

SALLGUD

No camping

I dropped by Hickory Knob and Baker Creek Saturday and the campsites at both are closed until 1 April. That is pretty much the standard around here. I also know that Modoc campground is closed. Lick Fork Lake rec area is open with minimal amenities. The only one left open with full hookups is Petersburg Campground across the river. The bonus there is the awesome trail located between the Clarks Hill dam and the campsite!

As far as trails to ride, there's a bunch of'em all over the state. Give us a heads up when you know the general locale.

SCHomer is correct when he tells you to hit the sorbacsra.org website. If you end up near the McCormick/Edgefield/Aiken area, we have a lot of good trails of varying abilities.

Michael

mtbr member

Thanks

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. we'll let you know if and where we are going and then go from there. Thanks again. Johnny P

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Another one

Isaqueena Lake in upstate Clemson, SC. Check maps here- www.gcmbc.com Very little real climbing (in my book) lots of fun, fast singletrack.

Twin Lakes Campground open 3/1/2006. Awesome campground. Great showerhouse Sites 30-36 are primo.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common.../newindex.html

mtbr member
    Sep 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoMark
    Isaqueena Lake in upstate Clemson, SC. Check maps here- www.gcmbc.com Very little real climbing (in my book) lots of fun, fast singletrack.

Twin Lakes Campground open 3/1/2006. Awesome campground. Great showerhouse Sites 30-36 are primo.

http://www.reserveusa.com/jsp/common.../newindex.html
    Well then South Carolina has very little climbing.

Clemson has the most climbing of any trails in this state. Less than Pisgah in NC, but more than any other legal MTB trail in SC.

I would rate Clemson and the McCormick area as heads and shoulders above the rest of the state. These two places simply have more miles of quality trails than other places in the state. There may be a better trail here or there, but these two locations have 40+ miles of singletrack. If not more.

mtbr member
    Clemson (Issaqueena) has little climbing but is a really fun trail system, do the lake trail. Plus you are only an hour from Dupont and Pisgah, NC if you decide to do something a little more challenging.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Seenvic- I didn't mean anything by "not much climbing." There are some decent climbs on the north end of trail system (Grinder/Dalton Rd are decent climbs). Just relative to Pisgah or N. Georgia they are relatively short climbs without a ton of elevation change.

I should have qualified my statement by mentioning a normal ride for me is 2-3K feet of climbing (some with 6K feet of climbing); you could do every single trail of the approx. 40+ miles at Clemson and you might end up with 2K of cumulative climbing. This is not a bad thing. Having ridden just about every trail in Georgia and most of the "must do's" in Western North Carolina, Clemson still remains one of my top 5 places to ride. The trails are just so fun and most flow extremely well. Plus with no huge climbs, significant others can usually have an absolute blast and not be destroyed after a 3 hour ride, like you can at some places.

mtbr member

you didnt say where in S carolina

but in this are (columbia) everyone pretty mush rides Harbison more trails there then any where else in this area from Expert to novice well mainted too