mtbr member
    May 2013

Santos Trail Conditions

Anyone ridden Santos lately with all the rain happening? Wondering if anyone can give an update on trail conditions there. Any info would be nice.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Trails are nice. Firm damp sand. None of that slip and slide bog you down dry stuff.

A bit of splatter but not WET, just damp.

All in all my favorite conditions.

With the rain the foliage is realy growing quickly.

Gives the trails a whole different look.

BTW: yesterday lots of horse flies. Bite like crazy. Even through clothing. More than annoying. Pretty much ruins the experience !

I strongly suggest DEET !!

Makes the ride alot nicer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hey thanks dude. So you hit Santos up yesterday? We had a bad afternoon storm come through yesterday. Cool. Yeah those big flies can really bite they leave some pretty big welts on me.. Have y'all had any problem with ticks?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Trails are nice. Firm damp sand. None of that slip and slide bog you down dry stuff.

A bit of splatter but not WET, just damp.

All in all my favorite conditions.

With the rain the foliage is realy growing quickly.

Gives the trails a whole different look.

BTW: yesterday lots of horse flies. Bite like crazy. Even through clothing. More than annoying. Pretty much ruins the experience !

I strongly suggest DEET !!

Makes the ride alot nicer.
    Good to hear from ya. You have been quiet for a few days. I sent you a couple PMs and haven't heard back. You doing good. Riding and paddling. Or taking a weather break??

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by nursejk View Post
    Hey thanks dude. So you hit Santos up yesterday? We had a bad afternoon storm come through yesterday. Cool. Yeah those big flies can really bite they leave some pretty big welts on me.. Have y'all had any problem with ticks?
    Ticks always a concern. Personally have had more at San Felasco.

Always check yourself at shower time !!

mtbr member
    May 2013

True, true. The girls seem to find more for some reason, guess they are sweeter. San felasco is bad for ticks. Maybe the rains have washes some away.

We need to meet up for a ride??

mtbr member
    So far, no ticks for me. Last summer, I decided to take a short cut between two trails. Instead of riding, I walked and the next day my left leg was full of chigger bites. OMG, those bites itched for three weeks.

For good Santos updates, join their Facebook page, OMBA.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    On Sunday I rode from the Landbridge trailhead out to the end of Ern n Burn and back and the trails were in great shape minus 2 downed trees.

mtbr member
    May 2013

Hey Dude. You ride today? You riding this weekend? If so let me know. I am free!!! Either PM me or reply here. Take care.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Anyone ride this weekend or today? Has all the rain led us elsewhere. Hope it slacks off soon, I need to hit some trails. Pipe in if you are riding.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Rode from 49th to Ross Prairie trailhead and back yesterday. A little trail litter but nothing bad. I moved the only trees down. Trail is firm. Ern n Burn is a little slick in spots but may have dried up by now.

mtbr member
    I've never been to Santos, but planning a trip for a buddy and I to meet up there, and ride on a Saturday and Sunday towards the end of this month. Its gonna be brutal hot, but we'll try to get out early AM and be done before the heat of the mid day.

Don't think I have the enduarnce to do the 42 mile epic, but we were thinking of doing a 20 or 30 mile distance ride on Saturday, then just hitting the singletrack around vortex, santos area on Sunday.

I had originally planned to do the Santos to Landbridge and back ride, but I've been told that beyond vortex, the doubletrack between there and the landbridge is rather unexciting. Was thinking about instead doing the 49th to Ross Prairie on Saturday while maybe hitting Ern n Burn twice.

Will be sure to have a map and plenty of fuel to get us through some harsh climate. Any tips for a few first timers?

mtbr member
    How do the trails look?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by ZmyDust View Post
    I've never been to Santos, but planning a trip for a buddy and I to meet up there, and ride on a Saturday and Sunday towards the end of this month. Its gonna be brutal hot, but we'll try to get out early AM and be done before the heat of the mid day.

Don't think I have the enduarnce to do the 42 mile epic, but we were thinking of doing a 20 or 30 mile distance ride on Saturday, then just hitting the singletrack around vortex, santos area on Sunday.

I had originally planned to do the Santos to Landbridge and back ride, but I've been told that beyond vortex, the doubletrack between there and the landbridge is rather unexciting. Was thinking about instead doing the 49th to Ross Prairie on Saturday while maybe hitting Ern n Burn twice.

Will be sure to have a map and plenty of fuel to get us through some harsh climate. Any tips for a few first timers?
    First timer at Santos . I have 2 suggestions:
    1. Stay around the 80th Street (main trailhead). Lots of riding. Don'tknow your skill level but try Cowbone, Dr. Ruth and Sinkhole. Good workout.

If you are technically proficient give Anthill and John Brown a try. Maybe Cowbone from trailhead to itsend at Blue Highway. A right on Blue to cross road and shoot across dogbone to Twister. From there a bit of Vortex.

2. Beyond Vortex is not all that "uninspiring".
    Spider Kingdom is some nice singletrackwith lots of twists and blind corners especially with foliage growth now that it has rained. Spider toLandbridge all the way to 49th. Than pick up Nayl's to Ern/Burn.

Or park at Landbridge and go west from there. A map is really a good idea.

Here is a killer map from OMBA website. Print it and laminate it. It is your best friend aside from DEET.

http://omba.org/maps/OMBA_Bike_Trails_Map_Jan_2012.gif

Here is another of the trails at the main trailhead

http://omba.org/maps/santos4b.pdf

Spring! Spring! Spring!
    I rode one set of trails this AM from Ross Prairie as far as Spider Kingdom today. I ran out of time and friendly weather so I had to bail and take the road back from there, little bummed as it's going to be quite a while before I return with a bike to FL I should think (live in PA, visiting in-laws, leaving for NC in the morning) ... but at least next time I can start from the other side with a clear conscience.

It was a great change of pace for me. My usual trail is a very NE US stuff - very rocky / rooty so rolling basically 20 miles of buff trail that was fun to hit was great (and yes I hit Earn & Burn, at any intersection that I was given a choice I chose the more difficult line - my bike won't let me do otherwise).

I only saw three other cyclists all day, one guy started a few minutes before I did from Ross Prairie, and somewhere beyond the half way point I blew by a couple guys heading up where I was heading down, we had mutually shouted "hiya's" - hope they had a great day out.

The trail network really makes me think of Rocky Hill Ranch near Smithville TX, or Bluff Creek Ranch at Warda TX, both have tons of the sand-based pine-tree enhanced singletrack.

The stuff I rode today was in primo condition. I had figured the storms that blew through last night was had "tamped" it all down and that bore out. Hardly any soft sand anywhere.

Huge props to OMBA - there's a "ridonkulous" amount of work represented in the trails that I saw, it's just huge. Great job!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I rode one set of trails this AM from Ross Prairie as far as Spider Kingdom today. I ran out of time and friendly weather so I had to bail and take the road back from there, little bummed as it's going to be quite a while before I return with a bike to FL I should think (live in PA, visiting in-laws, leaving for NC in the morning) ... but at least next time I can start from the other side with a clear conscience.

It was a great change of pace for me. My usual trail is a very NE US stuff - very rocky / rooty so rolling basically 20 miles of buff trail that was fun to hit was great (and yes I hit Earn & Burn, at any intersection that I was given a choice I chose the more difficult line - my bike won't let me do otherwise).

I only saw three other cyclists all day, one guy started a few minutes before I did from Ross Prairie, and somewhere beyond the half way point I blew by a couple guys heading up where I was heading down, we had mutually shouted "hiya's" - hope they had a great day out.

The trail network really makes me think of Rocky Hill Ranch near Smithville TX, or Bluff Creek Ranch at Warda TX, both have tons of the sand-based pine-tree enhanced singletrack.

The stuff I rode today was in primo condition. I had figured the storms that blew through last night was had "tamped" it all down and that bore out. Hardly any soft sand anywhere.

Huge props to OMBA - there's a "ridonkulous" amount of work represented in the trails that I saw, it's just huge. Great job!

Glad you enjoyed. Come back soon.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My first time to Santos was almost (2) weeks ago and thinking about driving back up (from Jupiter) this weekend. After setting up tent, I rode just over an hour mostly blues & some reds at the Santos TH. Then had a heavy 1-hour rain delay, before putting in another hour and 1/2 on blues...reds were way to wet, but the blues were awesome. I don't think I have ridden a better "wet trail". The next morning I got in 15 miles at the 49th Ave TH and that was the best XC I have ridden. I didn't think I would need bug spray, while moving at a good pace, I was wrong. The flies have XC training as well.

mtbr member
    1. Stay around the 80th Street (main trailhead). Lots of riding. Don'tknow your skill level but try Cowbone, Dr. Ruth and Sinkhole. Good workout.

If you are technically proficient give Anthill and John Brown a try. Maybe Cowbone from trailhead to itsend at Blue Highway. A right on Blue to cross road and shoot across dogbone to Twister. From there a bit of Vortex.

Spider Kingdom is some nice singletrackwith lots of twists and blind corners especially with foliage growth now that it has rained. Spider toLandbridge all the way to 49th. Than pick up Nayl's to Ern/Burn.

Here is a killer map from OMBA website. Print it and laminate it. It is your best friend aside from DEET.

We parked at Santos Trailhead at 9am on Sat morning and headed out to the landbridge and back. Had some user error issues with the GPS but we did about 28 miles of yellow and blue trails and it says 1200' elevation gain (sound right?).

Track was great condition, fast rolling, packed down by recent rains but very little standing water. Dr- you were right, the singletrack down in Spider Kingdom to the LB and back was fun, a very pleasant ride with easy ups and downs. Sorry, thats what I get for believing something I read on the internet.

Got turned around on a few of the Santos area yellows while wrapping up the ride and looking for the TH, but that was no problem because it added a few miles to a fun ride.

We thought we were going to have to take a storm about half way in, but the nasty stuff went around us and we just had a few light rains. Being on the verge of rain all day made for great riding weather in the low 80s which is a bit of luck for late June.

Didn't get a ride in Sunday.. storms rolled in at 1130 anyway. Next time we'll time we'll park at the LB TH and head west from there.

mtbr member
    May 2005

With this monsoon weather, how many days does it take for the reds to dry ? I'm planning to ride Sunday afternoon and Monday morning....gonna take a cabin @ Silver River for a change.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    As long as it hasn't rained it a day or two it should be fine. Most of the trails dry really fast due to the sandier soils. Some of the quarry trails take a tad longer.
    "Listen here you beautiful *****, I'm about to **** you up with some truth"