mtbr member

Santos (ocala) questions

Hello guys,

I've been to Sants a few times in the last couple of years, but I am changing some of the normal plans this year.. We are going up this Wed through Sunday and were planning to drive up from Miami to Orlando, rent a motorhome there and drive up and camp out at the trail head. We might just tent camp, but not sure..

Usually we've started our rides at the Trailhead off of 441 or behind the bike shop on 441 (where you ride though the trailer park)... I have also started my rides at another nearby spot, but can't remember the name, it had some hourse trails, parking for hourse trailers etc.. I didn't like that end of it so want to avoid it. Any other pots in Santos to ride from? We've ridden up to the landbridge, the blue trails, vortex, etc..

I was also thinking of driving west to another mtb park, but i think there is enough riding trails available right at santos... Any thoughts on alternatives to drive to and ride that are as good as santos?

I'm also going to rent a Harley for 1/2 day when I'm up there. The nearest harley store with rentals was in Tampa .. anybody know of a harley place close to Ocala?

And lastttttttttt .. We might do the zip line thing in ocala or orlando, can't remember.. anyone done it?

I have to mix some more stuff to do in, b/c I know we wont' be able to ride 10 hrs a day for 5 days, lol

oh, I forgot... we want to do a night ride but I've been lost in the day time within santos, so am a little skeptical about doing it by ourselves... Does anyone up there do night rides in sants?

thanks
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    RE: The Harley. I believe Harley Davidson Crystal River rents. They are about 45 min from Santos. 352 563-9900. Closer to Ocala check Google. I think there are a couple of independent dealers who rent.

Area with horse trailers was probably the Land Bridge trailhead. About 10-15 west. You may want to try 49th Ave. trailhead. Small parking area. No facilities except a porta potty or 2.

49th Ave trailhead connects to the Ross Prairie trailhead which is another 10-15 west. The Ross Prairie trailhead has bathrooms, showers, camping (at least for motorhomes). Couple of nice trails (one beginner, one intermediate).

Ross Prairie State Forest: Florida Forest Service- FDACS

Take Ern and Burn from Ross Prairie and follow it across 484 where it than connects to Nayl's trail. Nayl's actually has 2 routes. One a bit tougher, the other with a nice wooden bridge.
    So you can take one branch of Nayl's to 49th Ave and the branch back to Ern and Burn for return to Ross Prairie. Depending on route about 17-20 miles total between Ross and 49th round trip.

As far as night rides contact Santos Bike Shop they have lots of group stuff. Also give
    Greenway Bicycle a shout. i believe they have a night ride.

Here is a great map:

http://www.OMBA.org/maps/OMBA_Bike_T...p_Jan_2012.gif

All kinds of maps here

Ocala Mountain Bike Association - Home

Cannot help you out on the zip line thing but have heard its"fun".

I ride Santos quite a bit so if you need any info ' give me a PM.

Level of experience ?

Lastly: recently rode Alafia west of Tampa/St. Pete. You may consider saving a day for Alafia and Balm Boyette and go home via Naples
    Last edited by drjay9051; 03-25-2013 at 03:43 AM.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the info... I'll look into it.

I checked mapmyride and saw Withlacoochee State Trail, which seemed nice for riding my road bike one day. Does anyone have any suggestions around Santos to go road cycling?
    Last edited by alexplantman; 03-26-2013 at 12:41 AM.
    Better 2 ask 4 pardon than 2 ask for permission. Recall that nxt time U feel you have 2 ask ur wife if U can buy something

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by alexplantman View Post
    Thanks for the info... I'll look into it.

I checked mapmyride and saw Withlacoochee State Trail, which seemed nice for riding my road bike one day. Does anyone have any suggestions around Santos to go road cycling?
    No particular route but anywhere between Santos trailhead and westbound on 80 th Street to say 475A is pretty nice country.

Also if you want to see some spectacular horse country truck your bikes up to the NW section of Ocala, say west of I 75 and north of route 27.

Mapquest Fellowship, Fl and that whole area just to the north is really beautiful. You can park your RV on the corner of 464 and 27 and have a great ride.

Any more info needed let me know.