Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Man up
    Sep 2010

Santos Friday Oct 15

I'm looking to take my first trip to Santos and am wondering if anyone wants to meet up for an morning ride to show me around? No class on that day so I'm thinking of getting down there at 8:30 and go for a nice, long ride. I'd like to hear what all the hub-bub is about down there
    Jesse
    Last edited by orion_134; 10-03-2010 at 06:57 AM.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines
    (Most) always down for a ride in the Gville area

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Good luck! That's the Homecoming weekend at UF.

I would go to Santos with you, but I am going to the Gator Gallop and the Parade that day...

turtles make me hot
    I'd go but I won't be in Florida for a couple of months. Santos is pretty awesome.
    I like turtles

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Yup, I'm getting the heck outta dodge on homecoming day. Anyone know what the "qualifier" obstacle consists of at Santos? Feel free to PM me if you don't want it aired out on the interwebs.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by orion_134
    Yup, I'm getting the heck outta dodge on homecoming day. Anyone know what the "qualifier" obstacle consists of at Santos? Feel free to PM me if you don't want it aired out on the interwebs.
    Jesse

The "qualifiers" at Santos are 24" or maybe 30" wide ladder bridges that are a max of 3' off the ground... There's one at the entrance to the main part of the Vortex and another at the entrance to the Vortex loop trail. Just about anyone could easily ride over without any difficulty. Sadly, you can go right around them too. They really aren't a good indicator of the tech nature of the red trails there... but having said that, If you come to one of them and it seems scary to you, you have no business at all riding the red trails. (not that it stops anyone) So I guess in that sense they serve a purpose but few people actually pay attention to them.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Sounds like fun, and easy, can't wait.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Jackalope Hunter
    Sounds like fun, and easy, can't wait.

Enjoy. If you can make it up during a weekend you'd probably have better luck finiding someone to show you around...
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13
    The "qualifiers" at Santos are 24" or maybe 30" wide ladder bridges that are a max of 3' off the ground... There's one at the entrance to the main part of the Vortex and another at the entrance to the Vortex loop trail. Just about anyone could easily ride over without any difficulty. Sadly, you can go right around them too. They really aren't a good indicator of the tech nature of the red trails there... but having said that, If you come to one of them and it seems scary to you, you have no business at all riding the red trails. (not that it stops anyone) So I guess in that sense they serve a purpose but few people actually pay attention to them.
    haha, I didn't know that was the purpose of those ladders. Yeah, not at all what I would consider "qualification" for riding Vortex.
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Rig
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

mtbr member
    We affectionately call the first 'qualifier' coming out of the Vortex trailhead as the handicap ramp...and sadly, I've observed more than one person crash off of it.

Jackalope Hunter
    Yeah, I've seen a few crashes there too. I've also seen parents tell their little kids to get off and walk their bikes over the bridge. There should be a big sign that says "if you are not capable of RIDING over this, you have no business riding here at all" but I guess no one though of that. Since I was there when both were built, maybe its my fault. Naaa, sometimes a little common sense screws things up
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

XXIX
    Worst wreck Ive ever seen live was at the parking area ramp. A girl on a really nice Gary Fisher coming out of the vortex road her front wheel off the ramp at the very top and went face first into the fence.

Semper Fi Orion.

Its got what plants crave
    I agree on the sign, Jay. Too many people out there that have no idea what they're doing. Oh well, their skin, not mine.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Semper Fi back. I'm actually going to take a little trip down there on Sunday to get a taste for the intermediate trails. Can't wait.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I took a new rider to Santos today for his first 'real' off-road experience.

The weather and trails are nearly perfect this weekend.

Re: The 'qualifier.' I love the big rocks at the Backdoor entrance along with the friendliest

'Hi, This trail might be harder than you can handle. We suggest a full-face helmet. A bit of body armor wouldn't hurt. Either way, we're not kidding. Have fun. Please don't die. Thanks.'

entrance sign I've ever seen.

Rick

EDIT: The quote above is a very rough paraphrase.
    Last edited by rkevans; 10-01-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    Having never been there, I can't tell if that sign is sarcasm or for real. Is there some serious DH at Santos?
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

ChiliPepper1
    Having never been there, I can't tell if that sign is sarcasm or for real. Is there some serious DH at Santos?
    Semper Fi bro!

As per DH, nah bro, just some real short roll downs. There is a lot to get hurt on or off of out there in the Vortex and most red trails. There is 10 ledge drops, one being closed off though, and few wood bridges, lots of boulders to navigate over and around on the red trails. A sweet DJ line as well to throw into the mix. I would have to agree with the friendly welcome sign, but all depending on the riding discipline you plan on doing. Knee/shin armour is always a good thing out there if riding the red trails, but the reat of the trails are just to simple and easy for all that junk. FF is great if you do not want your face or melon all banged up or you are planning on hucking off the ledge drops or maybe even the DJ line. All in all, all that armour is a rider preference thing. Anyways, good luck and have fun bro! Santos is an awesome place to ride!

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I'm not interested in riding in the vortex, just on the single track...not with this bike.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

turtles make me hot
    I rode Santos last May and there's PLENTY of singletrack. You don't have to worry about any big drops if that's not your bag.
    I like turtles

ChiliPepper1
    I'm not interested in riding in the vortex, just on the single track...not with this bike.
    I was just referring to the sign outside the Vortex. LOL!

Yeah, there is soooo much easy to moderate singletrack that you could ride all day and more. Ride from the Santos TH all the way to Nahls on the other side of I-75 Landbridge. well over 50 miles of trail to ride with out all the more technical terrain as the red trails or jump bowel. Here is a link to OMBA maps of Santos all the way to Nahls.....

http://omba.org/index.php/Maps.html

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Jesse- you'll be fine. After seeing you ride a little at Felasco, there is not much at Santos (except the big cliff drops) that you couldn't probably do.

Vortex is more legs than tech in my opinion. I have ridden it on my hardtail several times, and next time I am going to ride it on my rigid single speed.

The trail I have the most difficulty with there is the red one called John Brown? I think that's what it's called. And I never got the stones to do Ant Farm due to the crazy drop in.

My favorite trail out there is still Twister though. So fast and flowy....

Have fun!

ChiliPepper1
    Quote Originally Posted by pointerDixie214
    Jesse- you'll be fine. After seeing you ride a little at Felasco, there is not much at Santos (except the big cliff drops) that you couldn't probably do.

Vortex is more legs than tech in my opinion. I have ridden it on my hardtail several times, and next time I am going to ride it on my rigid single speed.

The trail I have the most difficulty with there is the red one called John Brown? I think that's what it's called. And I never got the stones to do Ant Farm due to the crazy drop in.

My favorite trail out there is still Twister though. So fast and flowy....

Have fun!
    LOL.....

Yeah man, it is called John Brown, and yes, that is an awesome trail and can be difficult for most. The other one is Ant Hill, and it is not as technical as John Brown, but can be challenging as well. I would have to say that John Brown is the most difficult red trail out there, but the red trail around the Vortex is awesome and a good work out as you mentioned (more legs than tech). The only real tech is the boulders, wood bridges, & drop downs.

To the OP.....

As pointer mentioned, you'll do just fine. Ride on, have fun, and On-On!

XXIX
    What time are you going Orion...If my wife has no plans I may take her car drive over.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    I'm somewhat flexible if other people are coming. So far it's just me, and if it were up to me, I like to get going early and be done early so I still have the rest of the day. However, I'm looking at getting there around 8-9 and riding til lunch.
    Jesse
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

XXIX
    Cool thats usually when I ride anyhow. Wife says I can use her car so I will be there around 8:30. Want to meet at the main trail head.

Man up
    Sep 2010
    So, 8:30 it is.
    '08 GF Montare
    '10 Rockhopper SS
    Semper Fidelis
    02-10 SSGT of Marines

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast