Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2007

San Felasco trail maps?

Me and a couple of buddies are going to come up to San Felasco this coming Saturday (7-26) to pre-ride the trails for an upcoming race. Does anyone know where I can download a trail map?

Is there any place we can set up a little grill for some lunch?

Any other information would be awesome.

If anyone feels like being a guide that would also be awesome.
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

the #1 Stunna'
    what time are you going to be there. also are you going to blast through them, or take it kind of easy? My face it still all bruised from last week, so i may not be able to fly.

anyway i do not have a map, but they are well marked and there is a map at the trail head
    I has Bikes

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I don't ride very fast, so we won't lose you, plus, if you're the guide, I doubt we'll get very far HAHA

We're leaving Tampa at 7, so we should be there by 9 I'm guessing.
    Tampa Florida

yeah, uh............bikes
    There used to be maps in the mailbox by the trailhead........ sometimes.

Its got what plants crave
    The trailhead is fine to grill out, there's even a pavilion and bathrooms.

TallahasseeTrails

San Felasco Maps

From the State Parks site specific to San Felasco:
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/san...ck/default.cfm
    On that page, you'll find PDF file links for bike, horse, and hiking maps. The bike trail map link is:
    http://www.floridastateparks.org/san...keTrailMap.pdf
    Additionally, folks have posted MotionBased tracks. E.g., this Tour de Felasco track:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/4774108
    Keep in mind the Tour de Felasco includes hiking trails that are not open to bikes the rest of the year. The August 31 Gone Riding 8hr at Felasco is on the legal bike trails.
    Posted in another thread, but the Dave Berger posted the race course:
    http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/activity/6138797
    Gone Riding events calendar is:
    http://goneriding.com/EVENTS.htm
    More trail trivia (race photos) here:
    http://sanfelasco.net/
    I posted photos/vid from the 2007 Tour:
    http://tallahasseetrails.smugmug.com.../2345758_wjd5n
    Had 2006 Tour photos as well, but that site's dead - sorry. Might re-post on the new site if I get the motivation.
    jk
    "If I fall you're going down with me" - Trail running advice from my Dixie Chicks
    "Pugsley: It's how I roll" http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html
    http://tallahasseetrails.smugmug.com/

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Sweet, thanks for all of the links!

How would you consider the riding there? I've heard its not very technical and more "flowy" than anything.
    Tampa Florida

TallahasseeTrails

San Felasco 8Hr Course

Quote Originally Posted by Dave In Florida

How would you consider the riding there? I've heard its not very technical and more "flowy" than anything.
    DIF,
    I've only been there 3 times. The 2006 and 2007 Tours de Felasco, and back in Oct 2007.
    All 3 times, I was on my Pugsley. So my interpretation may leave a LOT to be desired. Looking at Dave's GPS track of the course, they're only including Tung Nut and Hammock Hub loops.There are a few semi-technical spots - e.g. along the hillsides of some of Tung Nut Loop. But I'd vote for "fun" rather than anything remotely resembling "scary" technical. My least favorite stuff when they do the Tour are the sections created by mowing paths through open fields. Unless someone's been out there planting big trees, you're going to be out in the open for a coupla miles each lap. No biggie, but gimme the freakin' woods! Maybe that makes it easier to administer.
    Looks as though this would be a fine beginner 8hr. Or a reasonably fast course for the experienced racer girls and boys. 'Course you'll be out there in August, not January.
    Enjoy,
    jk
    "If I fall you're going down with me" - Trail running advice from my Dixie Chicks
    "Pugsley: It's how I roll" http://www.surlybikes.com/pugsley.html
    http://tallahasseetrails.smugmug.com/

UF Engineering Slave
    Ditto on what everyone else has said. I was planning on doing some race practice on Sunday, but I could easily move it up to Saturday. Shoot me a PM, I'd be glad to show you around.

The course covers a variety of terrain, from flowy 'savanah' type riding through mowed fields to rooty semi-steep up/down hills in the woods, and at least one necessary log roll-over (with many more optional). Nothing that is difficult to clear, but some sections are difficult to clear with speed. Most of the trail is very 'flowy' with sweeping corners.

BTW, does anyone know how they will be connecting tung nut to hammock hub? There is only one section single track that directly connects the two, and I would assume they want to avoid two way traffic... are they going to use the double track and cut out a section of hammock hub?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave In Florida

I'd say it's not very technical and more "flowy" than anything.

That is how I would describe it. That isn't to say you couldn't take a serious tumble, because there are some sections with roots where you will be going fast. But they are definitely intermediate level trails and not advanced.

mtbr member
    i just recently have been riding there alot and love it! theres some fun parts not on the map i think, maybe theres a turkey creek loop and another section way in the back?(is the area with the two little bridges on the map my maps always get soggy)

as for the ride, i dont think youll be disappointed with whats offered, its florida after all i think its a nice park, youll probably see some deer too.actually a saturday ride sounds good i might go out on the ss.

Zero Miles from Myself
    Here is one of the better maps that I have found. I like it better than the "mail box" map because it is in color and thus easier for ME to read.

I got this map off a thread at Florida MTB'ers site

Quote Originally Posted by mrm1
    Here is one of the better maps that I have found. I like it better than the "mail box" map because it is in color and thus easier for ME to read.

I got this map off a thread at Florida MTB'ers site

Good map, but it's pretty old. Doesn't show Odd Buck, trail from sweetgum to tungn nut thru the field, or the "hillside" loop near the powelines trail........can't remember all the names.......it's been tooo long.

edit -- also doesn't show the trails off of the turnaround on Odd Buck.

UF Engineering Slave
    I have yet to see a map with Odd Buck, Bramble Ramble, Cane Break, or the new 'lollypop' trails on it. Hopefully someone with a GPS can update the maps sometime in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by HandyMan
    I have yet to see a map with Odd Buck, Bramble Ramble, Cane Break, or the new 'lollypop' trails on it. Hopefully someone with a GPS can update the maps sometime in the future.
    Cane Break 8 is part of the Ravine and Live Oak Loops. I consider the purple part to be Live Oak Loop, and the brown part would be Ravine and Cane Break.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    If anyone is interested in showing us around this saturday, we'll be there about 9. We'll be bringing a grill, lunch, water, and some beer (after the ride naturally). We'll all be on SS 29'ers, so we won't be breaking any speed records.
    Tampa Florida

UF Engineering Slave
    I'll be there Saturday at 9, on a grey 2005 stumpjumper... I look for your monocog

mtbr member
    We'll be running three deep in a Honda Element on Saturday...one Karate Monkey, one black Redline, and one green Redline.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Bump for anyone wanting to ride tomorrow. We should be there about 9 and we're probably going to ride in the morning, take a lunch break, and ride some more in the afternoon. We'll all be on single speed 29ers.
    Tampa Florida

mtbr member
    doh my ss29er will be in the keys this saturday, maybe next time, i live in g-ville too its a shame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Handyman, sorry we didn't meet up out there. We didn't get there until almost 10 (missed Progress Rd, who would've thought thousands of acres of preserve would be behind an industrial park).

Wow, what a crazy experience those trails are! Tung Nut is half of the most fun riding I've ever had in Florida, and half of the most agonizing climbs I've had the displeasure of riding HAHA.

Next time I think I'll go up a tooth or two on the rear of my SS because I just couldn't pull all of those climbs. Its not that they are especially long or steep, but they are pretty long, pretty steep, and never ending. I'll go back, but it won't be until winter.
    Tampa Florida

UF Engineering Slave
    haha, glad you guys enjoyed it. My least favorite climb is near the end of Hammock Hub when you ride it counter clockwise... its painful.

Don't worry about showing up late, I ended up not making it at all, I had some stuff come up that morning

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Hammock Hub? Dude we barely made it out of Tung Nut alive! After that we were done, which was handy since we ran into a driving rain on the way back to the car
    Tampa Florida

ash
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    what kind of gearing are you guys using on your SS? I want to take a trip up to preride before the race, and it would be nice to have an idea of what others are running.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ash
    what kind of gearing are you guys using on your SS? I want to take a trip up to preride before the race, and it would be nice to have an idea of what others are running.
    I honestly don't know. Its stock gearing for a Redline Monocog 29'er. I think its 32x18.
    Tampa Florida

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast