mtbr member
    Dec 2006

San Felasco : Second trip Observations,questions Long rant

So yesterday I made my second trip to San Felasco just north of Gainesville, Fl. Got there early as we did not want to ride in the mid day heat.
    Left trailhead at 9 A.M. 5 minutes into the ride we run into some horseback riders. One of them was thrown and stepped on (this happened before we got there). So having medical background I check her out. Chest bruises and possible rib fractures. Ranger finally came and drove her to trailhead. We helped the other 2 riders get the horses set to walk them back to parking lot. So there goes an hour!

BTW: I was curious about night riding at San Felasco. Sign says closes at dark but so do signs at Santos in Ocala and lots of people do night rides at Santos. Ranger flat out said "If we find you in the park after dark you WILL be arrested!" I guess that answered my question.

Ride continues. First trip we did only Meadow View and Tung Nut.

Yesterday we picked up Sweetgum to Conquistador. Conquistador is a *****. Not technical like Santos with rock gardens and stuff but steep ups and downs. Don't know which hurt more the legs or lungs. From Conquistador we pick up Canebrake and eventually go all the way out to Hidden Rise. I have no clue how many miles round trip as my GPS lost power. Got to remember to charge it the night before a ride.

I had thought Santos had it all well I guess not. Once we got past the rest area along the creek (I believe it is called Soggy Bottom Creek) we saw quite a few very large deer.

Santos deer are very nervous whereas these deer for the most part just stood their ground and slowly moved off. I'm talking 150 pounds of muscle. Just incredible. One large doe just stood her ground and looked at me. No visible sign of fear or anxiety.

I imagine it is due to the lack of heavy traffic and no hunting that allows for this.

Anyway, as we approached the rest area with picnic table nice bridges over creek etc. i was feeling the heat. i had 100 ounces of fluid but still not feeling great. Not wanting to ruin the trip I pressed on. As we started the Hidden Rise Loop I felt a dull headache and knew I was developing heat exhaustion. Not heat stroke. That is a totally different animal in which your body loses its ability to thermoregulate. think medical emergency with ice packs, i.V fluids etc. That comes after heat exhaustion.

Hidden Rise and Pine For You are beautiful loops. Huge pine trees, tons of deer and absolutely pristine. What a pleasure to not see Gu packs along the trail !!

Now I'm feeling the waves of nausea and getting the chills. Yeah, 87 degrees , I'm sweating like a pig and I've got the chills. Big trouble !!

We get back to the creek, I dip my shirt in the ice cold water and cool off . it helps, but just a bit.

At this point I am pedaling 5-6 strokes at a time and coasting. Going like 1 MPH. Vision blurry.

For the most part the signage at San Felasco is far superior to Santos. There are laminated maps at strategic intersections but we got messed a couple of times. Not sure how. The connector between Sweetgum and Hammock Hub got us turned around and after doing Conquistador on the way out we tried to get to Canebrake but somehow wound up back on Conquistador ??

See I told you it would be a long post. Almost finished.

A couple of weeks ago i downloaded a map I found on the forum. Here it is:

http://www.sanfelasco.net/docs/SanFe...ils10-2011.pdf

It shows all the service roads (which are grassy with worn areas from service vehicles.) Very ridable. i had left this at home and picked up one of the maps provided at the trailhead. I am looking at this map right now (as i did yesterday) and it shows NO service roads.

I could have used the map with service roads on it to get back to the trailhead quicker as i was ready to just give up. I mean this. Imagine the worst nausea in the world coupled with leg cramps and a rip roaring headache! All in hot humid climactic conditions

We come upon a service road and take it in a northerly direction.
    It dead ends at the bottom of a hill. i almost pass out. We walk back up the hill find another service road which takes us to the power line road. Almost there!! Longest mile of my life. And I mean that. i've been in bad situations before but this was the worst ever.

Get to the lot I lie down, my legs cramp to the point I am crying. Get in truck, AC on. I'm dizzy . Emergency room for fluids or home. Home. She drives. at entrance to park i lose it . Just about puked up my intestines. Fall asleep, wake up 10 hours later and here I sit good to go. Don't think i'll ride today.

Couple of observations and questions for those of you who know San Felasco well.

1. we saw what appeared to be 2 bear traps. One out by Pine For You and one at the dead end service road. I have no issues with bears just curious why the traps? These were way too big to be be traps for wild hogs unless they are growing to 700 pounds out there. Any info on this?

2. Why not have maps showing service roads at the trailhead like the one in the above attachment. Sure makes sense if for some reason you need to get back in a hurry.

3. There is a picnic table out by Soggy Bottom Creek rest area. i found it very amusing that it was chained to a tree. Who is going to put a 300 pound table across their back and ride out with it?

Lastly, an observation. My fluids yesterday were 100 ounces of Crystal Light. Had no electrolytes or carbs ! What was I thinking ? I know some folks use straight up water but for this biker in the future it will be Gatorade or Powerade with carbs, sodium, potassium and magnesium (electrolytes). Great scenery, beautiful day but bad experience. Today I have more fond memories than not. i really cannot wait to go back with a CamelBack full of Gatorade !!

mtbr member
    I'm not sure about bears, but they do have some big and destructive hogs out there. They can tear up the trail so much as to make it unrideable.

The chain is to keep people from moving the table around, or throwing it into the creek.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    God I love San Felasco, only thing that comes close to Tallahassee trails as a whole.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    God I love San Felasco, only thing that comes close to Tallahassee trails as a whole.
    You ever get turned around out there? Pretty much all the trails are loops and as I mentioned we did get a bit confused in spite of the signage. Would not have been an issue if I wasn't "close to death". I really felt that sick !

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your ordeal and glad you made it out alive. Here's a better map showing a few service roads in yellow. Tables are identified with the letter "B". It's not my map. Found it on this site last year. As ImaginaryFrie mentioned above, the traps are for wild hogs, but who knows, maybe bears as well. I've noticed the same with deer. Some trot off, but many stand and watch you ride by.

San Felasco : Second trip Observations,questions Long rant-san-felasco-map.jpg
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    Sorry to hear about your ordeal and glad you made it out alive. Here's a better map showing a few service roads in yellow. Tables are identified with the letter "B". It's not my map. Found it on this site last year. As ImaginaryFrie mentioned above, the traps are for wild hogs, but who knows, maybe bears as well. I've noticed the same with deer. Some trot off, but many stand and watch you ride by.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	San Felasco Map.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	800349
    Thanks. San Felasco will not kick my butt. Going back in 30 minutes. This time 100 oz of Gatorade.

Appreciate the map. Gives better detail of all the twists and turns. The map below shows all service roads and I think should be available at trailhead as opposed to the one they have available.

Im printing this out laminating and keeping in the Camelback.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    Thanks. San Felasco will not kick my butt. Going back in 30 minutes. This time 100 oz of Gatorade.

Appreciate the map. Gives better detail of all the twists and turns. The map below shows all service roads and I think should be available at trailhead as opposed to the one they have available.

Im printing this out laminating and keeping in the Camelback.
    That map rocks wish I had that when I was out there!! Let me know how it was Jay!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    That should be the official map of the park, thank you for taking the time to mark and post it!!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I've always hated that map they use with all the little circles :/

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear about your bad experience.

Felasco is practically my home trail. It an awesome training trail. Especially on the SS. Those 35-40 mile rides are brutal. We've been making a trip back to the trailhead to refill bottles since its getting hotter.

The picnic table is chained up so it won't float off when it floods.
    Ride Bikes
    Drink Beer

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Great map thanks a lot. I love the place. A buddy of mine and I go about every weekend. Early morning rides rock.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	San Felasco Map.jpg 
Views:	489 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	800349
    I made this map using all of my strava gps tracks on top of each other and paint.net. Glad you all find it useful

Cannondale Snob
    I've gone through 6 gallons of Gatorade in a single summers day riding at Santos, and not had to pee 'till I was done. Granted, this was over 6 hours of riding. Loved that I could get back to my car pretty quickly when my Camelbak ran dry.

Could not imagine riding San Felasco how you did it! I've since switched to just water in my Camelbak, but sometimes add electrolyte tabs to it. I also bring Cliff Bar Shot Bloks to eat while riding, and recently purchased a HAWG to which I added a second 100oz bladder with an Unbottled insulation sleeve so I could carry double the liquids on long rides.

That map is by far the best I've seen- I'll be printing and laminating that for certain!
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Meadow view was changed this past summer by removing the last field before Tung Nut and making a short connector trail. I updated my copy of the map and will post Monday or Tuesday.

stuppie, thanks again for the map and yes, it's been very useful.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    sorry to hear about your bummer of a ride.
    Besides Hailes trail SF is by far my favorite place to ride in FL!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I have been out of the mtn bk scene for a while. I hit San felasco last Saturday, Saw an older gentleman and his good looking wife out riding. He is a lucky man to have a riding wife, he better hang on to her, I didn't talk to them me and my buddies saw them at the picnic table. He was on a single speed. I was impressed. Passed them later, he was crusin. Keep it up dude, you are impressive! Just wanted to give you a shout out.

mtbr member

30 & 45 miles of fun Saturday -- Tour de :)

Wife and I enjoyed Tour de San Felsaco Saturday! First time there. Fun, flowing & twisting trails, miles and miles! Thanks "Friends of."
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Felasco : Second trip Observations,questions Long rant-san-felasco-hammock-fl-monument.jpg  

ScubaCruz
    www.sorba.org