Thread: San Felasco

mtbr member

San Felasco

If anybody has any kind of review to share please do. Some friend and myself are headed that way in a week or two. Trying to prepare myself for whats out there. Hear its a lot of fun. Thanks, Mitch

bust a move
    The terrain there is probably the best rolling elevation xc trails in the state. I rode there once in Feb. and again in Mar., check out the map http://www.sanfelasco.net/docs/SanFe...ils10-2011.pdf and ride it all. I think many just go up the power line after cellon creek on their way to the hammock hub but I ride it all. Conquistador trail has great repeating climbs. The trails were in very good shape last month.
    Falling down is part of LIFE…Getting back up is LIVING…

mtbr member
    Cool map! Is the trail marked well?

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch1171 View Post
    Cool map! Is the trail marked well?
    most of it is well marked

mtbr member
    Soundss good. Cant wait to give it a go. Will find out about this race seat that day im sure! LOL Thanks for the info!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    I would say its the best climbing in the Florida peninsula, best climbing in the state goes to the Tallahassee area trails

San Felasco is great though, so much diversity all in one system. Tons of fun.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I typically ride Santos. All blue and a few red (Sinkhole, John Brown)

Anthill and Vortex trails at Santos kick my butt.

Any comparison to Felasco?

I will likely be going to San Felasco this weekendto see what it is all about.

In terms of rolling cross country how would it compare to say Twister or Nayl's ?

I know each trail has a unique personality but just trying to get an idea if it's worth the ride.

Thanks

bust a move
    Quote Originally Posted by drjay9051 View Post
    I typically ride Santos. All blue and a few red (Sinkhole, John Brown)

Anthill and Vortex trails at Santos kick my butt.

Any comparison to Felasco?

I will likely be going to San Felasco this weekendto see what it is all about.

In terms of rolling cross country how would it compare to say Twister or Nayl's ?

I know each trail has a unique personality but just trying to get an idea if it's worth the ride.

Thanks
    I would say it is more like Twister than Nayls. The toughest climbs are on Tung Nut and Conquistador but they don't take your breath like the Vortex or really any of the Santos reds. The drops and climbs at Santos are shorter and mostly steeper than San Felasco. The best way to describe it would be fast, flowy and at times slightly technically challenging and overall a lot of FUN!

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ridealot View Post
    I would say it is more like Twister than Nayls. The toughest climbs are on Tung Nut and Conquistador but they don't take your breath like the Vortex or really any of the Santos reds. The drops and climbs at Santos are shorter and mostly steeper than San Felasco. The best way to describe it would be fast, flowy and at times slightly technically challenging and overall a lot of FUN!
    Perfect. I am there this weekend !!!!!

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Keep in mind San Felasco uses natural rolling terrain vs Santos being a reclaimed mine.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Understood. Are service roads accessible to use as short cuts ?

bust a move
    Yes and maps are posted in a few key places but I print one for my pocket just to have.

Edit: If you like mexican food, my favorite part of riding at SF is eating at La Fiesta after. One exit south of Alachua on i-75 (I think its exit 222). Consistently fresh and good, margaritas aren't too bad either.
    Last edited by 2ridealot; 04-26-2013 at 07:12 AM. Reason: to mention food

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2ridealot View Post
    Yes and maps are posted in a few key places but I print one for my pocket just to have.

Edit: If you like mexican food, my favorite part of riding at SF is eating at La Fiesta after. One exit south of Alachua on i-75 (I think its exit 222). Consistently fresh and good, margaritas aren't too bad either.
    Thanks for the info. On the road in 15 minutes.

RE: food. I'll be hitting Latinos y Mas in Ocala tonight for food and Mojito and/or Margarita.

Maybe next trip.

Thanks again.

Hey, Mitch; I'll fill you in on Felasco after the ride.

mtbr member
    Here's a lot better map. The best trails are Tung Nut, especially the double diamond section, Conquistador (a lung buster), Pine for You, and Hidden rise. The last two are my favorite, but they're way in the back. The entrance to Conquistador is off of Crane/Brake, but there's a short cut off of Hammock Hub. It's on the other end, top left of Conquistador on the map. Soggy Bottom, Creek Side, and Dogwood are flat, twisty single tracks. If you see areas of trail looking like someone ran a rotor tiller, it's from wild pigs. They come out at night, but I've seen them late in the afternoon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails San Felasco-san-felasco-map.jpg  

2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

XXIX
    Looks like we are going to be putting some miles on that new bike Mitch. LOL,

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I rode San Felasco yesterday. Only had a couple of hours so it was a "short" ride. Nonetheless tiring !!

From the trailhead took Meadow View to get to Tung Nut. Personally I was not liking Meadow View. In several spots they have blocked off trail and cut new path , I suppose in an effort to add more twists and turns. My issue was alot of riding on grass. Frankly this may be what is considered to be true cross country. I have been spoiled by the hardpack dirt at Santos. Riding uphill on grass is tiring. Glad I had a geared bike.

Now we come to Tung Nut. A new experience. At Santos short steep climbs followed by short steep descents.

Different on Tung Nut. The climbs are quite a bit longer and are lung busters, at least for this rider. The beauty of the climb is the looong descent that follows. Many of the descents have small drops and roots and i found myself checking my speed continually but I'm pretty new to all this. Those with lots of experience may just bomb the downhills. Beautiful rolling woodlands. Lots of up and downs. Nothing technical like say the reds at Santos but alot more than Twister. Overall a great trail.

From Tung Nut we picked up Tortise Tumble going north. A short connector but be warned. It is a nice downhill and grassy but many small humps and dips which I did not see until I was on top of them. I almost endoed a couple of times.

From Tortise Tumble took the south part of Cellon Creek back to the truck.

Not a long day but long enough as we started in the mid day heat at about 1 P.M.

Bring lots of water !!

Quite different from Santos as there are no quarry remnants like Santos. Virtually no rock gardens. Seems very natural. Not like the trails were "cut out' of quarry but more like the trails just evolved from lots of riders taking the same path.

I am not bashing Santos. It is my home trail. Just saying that San Felasco is a different experience and was worth the 45 minute ride.

There is clear evidence of wild hogs. On Meadow View lots of rooting along the edge of the trail. Didn't see any wildlife but in the mid day heat they were all taking naps. I would imagine a dusk/night ride would be quite an experience. I also imagine it's pretty easy to get a bit lost out there at night. There are numbered trail markers and maps are provided at the trailhead. There are also reflectors on the trees along the trail but still a night ride would be a challenge to say the least.

There is so much more to ride but that will have to wait. Looks very interesting going way east to the farthest trails. Just did not have time yesterday.

Mitch, you and the Hobgoblin XO are in for a treat.

mtbr member
    Yep, of the trails to ride back to the better trails, Meadow View is the least traveled. Most ride the bottom part of Cellon to power line road, then up the hill. I'm just the opposite, Felasco is my home trail and I ride Santos once or twice a month.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    Yep, of the trails to ride back to the better trails, Meadow View is the least traveled. Most ride the bottom part of Cellon to power line road, then up the hill. I'm just the opposite, Felasco is my home trail and I ride Santos once or twice a month.
    Wish I had taken the bottom of Cellon instead of Meadow View but first trip there.

Are the trails east of Hammock Hub/Conquistador worth the ride out ? Same type of terrain as Tung Nut/ Climbs,flat ?

I really need to get back there and do some exploring.

Just wondering,gdtrfb24, what are your favorites at Santos ? Have you ridden the trails off 49th Ave and 484 (Nayl's and Ern and Burn )?

mtbr member
    All the black diamond trails are worth riding. When I ride Redbug, Pine for You, and Hidden rise, I basically head straight to them by going up the power line hill, across the top of Hammock Hub, then follow the trails on back. Conquistador is the toughest. It's located on a hill with the top section riding along the crest, and the bottom either bombing down or chugging back up. I also enjoy riding the Ravine and Cane/Brake, but there's a lot of hog damage in certain sections.

I've ridden all the yellow and blues from the main trail head, but no reds. Rode Nyal's for the first time two weeks ago and loved it. The plan was to ride Nyal's and Ern/Burn, but my riding partner ended up with a flat, so we headed back after Nyals'. I plan to be back either this coming weekend or next to complete the ride.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    The only three I use are the power line road up the hill, which everyone uses, the one cutting through Tung Nut going east and west, and a little short cut between Tung Nut and Meadow View. You can't see it on the map I posted, but if you rode all of meadow view, then you crossed it.

By the way, that's not my map. Some else posted it on a thread last fall or summer.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by gdtrfb24 View Post
    All the black diamond trails are worth riding. When I ride Redbug, Pine for You, and Hidden rise, I basically head straight to them by going up the power line hill, across the top of Hammock Hub, then follow the trails on back. Conquistador is the toughest. It's located on a hill with the top section riding along the crest, and the bottom either bombing down or chugging back up. I also enjoy riding the Ravine and Cane/Brake, but there's a lot of hog damage in certain sections.

I've ridden all the yellow and blues from the main trail head, but no reds. Rode Nyal's for the first time two weeks ago and loved it. The plan was to ride Nyal's and Ern/Burn, but my riding partner ended up with a flat, so we headed back after Nyals'. I plan to be back either this coming weekend or next to complete the ride.
    You will like Ern and Burn. Lots of tight rocky stuff. Nothing really bad but some nice short steep rollers. If you start at 49th Ave you may want to try the blue trail between 49th and the Landbridge. On the attached map it is just east of 49th and called Canal Diggings. This goes to an odd area called Christmas. It looks like a nuclear test site. Just a rocky road and scrub.
    So anyway thanks for the info on Felasco. i will be returning for sure.

http://omba.org/maps/OMBA_Bike_Trails_Map_Jan_2012.pdf

BTW: ever do a night ride at San Felasco or do they lock the gate at night (if there is a gate).

mtbr member
    OMBA does an outstanding job!! I've ridden from the main trailhead, over the landbridge, and to the 49th street TH. Good ride, but after the land bridge, we rode the lime rock road. Thanks for the info on Christmas and Canal Diggings. Sounds like an interesting ride, so I'll plan to ride both trails in the near future.

According to the Park Rangers, Felasco closes at dust, but I've spoken to riders who ride at night. I've tried it, but only when I stay out to late during the winter months and need lights to find my back.
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    Looks like we are going to be putting some miles on that new bike Mitch. LOL,
    Well as you and myself have learned from this sport, the only way to improve is to jump right in so. As long as I have plenty of water which I have 100oz ill be fine. Now if I have to try and keep up with sho all day thats another story! It should be fun.

XXIX
    Hope its not going to rain. 50 percent now for Saturday.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GatorB View Post
    Hope its not going to rain. 50 percent now for Saturday.
    Driving me crazy!