mtbr member

San Felasco 8/7 or 8/8?

Hello friends. I was wondering if anyone happens to be planning to ride San Felasco this weekend. I have yet to ride there and I would love to ride with people instead of exploring it by myself and eventually getting lost. Anyone going to be around?

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    when u leave trailhead, take the very first left maybe 30 yds in. this trail will go about 3/4 of a mile and dump out in an open area at base of powerlines. Ride straight up powerlines to the top. enter trail to hammock hub on left. take all rights on those loops and that will keep in the fun shaded areas. get the map at san felasco.net and take your time at each intersection. it can be confusing the first time. take plenty of water. it is easy to get back there farther than u realize. If my memory is correct, the tung nut loop is out in the open alot and would be brutal this time of year. i would not do it.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the tips! I would probably try a late afternoon/evening ride to avoid the heat as much as possible (as long as the afternoon rain cooperates).

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    While Tung Nut does have a lot of open fields that you ride through, it also has some of the most fun sections. If you really don't want to deal with the heat, either get there early in the morning, or at least start riding Tung Nut at section 10 on the map, which you can get to from the jeep road. There are some other fun sections on Tung Nut before that point, but sections 10-16 are the most fun sections. And you're gonna get hot on the jeep road, too, because it's out in the open and quite long as well (just not as long as taking Tung). There's no way to stay under the shade the whole time.

Then go do Hammock Hub, Conquistador, Sweetgum, etc. I find the trails furthest out (past Odd Buck) are not as interesting, though I haven't ridden Hidden Rise yet. I remember Pine For You being boring.

Definitely do Conquistador. It'll give you a good work out and it has some nice descents.

Map: http://www.sanfelasco.net/docs/SanFe...ils06-2010.pdf
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Rig
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I'll be there this weekend too. My first time there as well. So you won't be alone if you get lost - I may be lost too. Nit sure if I'm riding Sat or Sun - I'll see how my schedule plays out.

Its got what plants crave
    Send me a PM. Scott and some of the guys from the Wednesday Goodbike ride have been riding there every Monday shortly after 6 PM. I'm riding tonight with the Goodbike crew.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Thanks everyone for the tips.

Tflounder: I'll check my schedule and PM you.

Jim: I wish I knew you were riding there Monday nights. I can definitely do next Monday. I'll be at the Goodbike ride tonight, too.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    So I decided to drive to San Felasco today... Started the ride, everything was going great. That new difficult trail was AWESOME, up down up down up down... man I was huffing and puffing on it, Conquistador I think it's called? LOVED IT!!!

So I keep riding, tons of downed trees and braches everywhere. I get to the Hidden Rise or maybe it's the Pine for You, I'm not sure. BAM! I get a stick in my derailleur! Man, this was the FARTHEST I could be from the parking lot. Bend the derailleur hanger back and it seems to snap back like it's ment to "snap" back. Bent the rear derailleur some, rode it out. It's clicking, bent it some more and the 5th gear was giving me no issues at all.

So glad I made it back riding, would have taken me a few hours to walk that. Checked the derailleur at the car and there's a huge crack going through it and the skewer seemed to be holding it together.

Worst part is I just broke the derailleur/hanger on this bike about 100 miles ago. So another $100 into the ordeal and having to wait until next week.

Rant over-------
    Watch out for sticks there

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Sorry to hear that. I bent/twisted my derailleur hanger when I was there on Tuesday, and even though I couldn't bend it back, I was lucky enough that the derailleur still shifted alright.

And yes, Conquistador is awesome!
    2011 Trek Gary Fisher Collection Rig
    2007 Gary Fisher HKEK

Its got what plants crave
    I broke an XO derailleur out there riding through the last field that runs along the fenceline to the bathrooms. I was pissed off, but at least I didn't have to walk far. I have broken so many derailleurs at this point that I refuse to buy the high end ones anymore, because it ends up wadded up just like the cheap ones do.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    I broke an XO derailleur out there riding through the last field that runs along the fenceline to the bathrooms. I was pissed off, but at least I didn't have to walk far. I have broken so many derailleurs at this point that I refuse to buy the high end ones anymore, because it ends up wadded up just like the cheap ones do.

I've been waiting for the Shimano Alfine 11 speed to come out. At first I just wanted to try it but now it's more of an investment. $200 gone and that would have already paid for 1/2 of it. The only thing that's stopping me is the weight penalty, oh and the fact it's not available yet.