mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Rumble in the Jungle @ Markham Park info

Hey I was just wondering if anyone had any new info on the race at Markham in August? All I have seen was the date but no info on how much it costs or how to register. Anyone got any info to share.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Usually they will post signs at the park and some of the bike shops like bike america, and I am pretty sure the entry fee is a $25-35 dollar gift card to lowes or home depot, at least that is what it was last year.

more info will soon come, and I think i saw on their site that the date was going to be on 8/7/2011

X/C trail rider

Good job! 2011 - Rumble in the Jungle - Markham Park

Aug 7, 2011 8:00am

An 8 lap team relay race with up to 4 riders per team. Classes for Expert Sport Intermediate Novice Sub categories for Single Speed Solo Riders & Women teams.

Entry fee $25.00 per rider. 100% of the money goes to Markham Park trails........

No Race Day Registration! Registration forms available at one of the participating bike shops or you can download one below and turn it in with your check payable to the: "Markham Park Trail Building Fund" at one of the participating bike shops.

Participating Bike Shops: Pro-Tech, Downtown Bicycles, Alexs Bicycle, Mega Cycle, Bicycle Generation, Bike America, Zs Bikes, Jims Bicycles, Atlantic Bicycle, Big Wheel

*Broward County mountain bike trails are volunteer designed, built, and maintained by dedicated riders like you. Volunteer today!

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    What do you guys think are the chances of the race taking place this weekend with this hurricane heading to South Florida...?

Can you turn the form in the day before?
    Damian

X/C trail rider
    You can register anytime till Friday. Sometime Friday all the registrations will be collected from the participating bike shops. By Friday, you should know if we are going to have an issue with Emily. The last 3 advisories today have moved the cone of uncertainty to the east further away from FL with each one. So, who knows if that trend will continue?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thank you MHodges. I spoke to the guys at Pro-Tech and they confirmed the below...

. race starts Sun at 8am, arrive at least one hour earlier
    . $25+ per rider, teams up to four. if you are relaying you can one form, one check per team. on the team relay rider 1 goes first then 2, 3, 4, then back to 1 for the second lap
    . turn in your form at any of the participant shops by Fri, the park is picking them Fri afternoon
    . if is your first time attending a race then go Novice, just to get use to the way the event takes place; even though you know the park
    . even if it rains, unless the park is closed by the county, the race will take place. if is postponed by any chance it, it will just be moved to the next weekend or so

Hoping hurricane Emily decides to turn NE....
    Damian

mtbr member
    Thanks for all of the info!
    08 Specialized Stumpjumper Comp

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dasaltek View Post

. even if it rains, unless the park is closed by the county, the race will take place. if is postponed by any chance it, it will just be moved to the next weekend or so

Hoping hurricane Emily decides to turn NE....
    I get the idea of doing this event to raise money for the trails, but the trail will get tore up if you have a bunch of riders there after or during the rain.

Seems counterintuitive ...
    You cannot go against nature, because when you do, its part of nature too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottoreni View Post
    I get the idea of doing this event to raise money for the trails, but the trail will get tore up if you have a bunch of riders there after or during the rain.

Seems counterintuitive ...
    I agree, not only that but it also tends to be a bit more dangerous. I'm hoping it doesn't rain and if it does that they postpone the event.

Have a safe ride.
    Damian

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    It did rain the day before and the trail was very muddy, especially on the first lap. But the mud eventually got splattered off the trail and aside from some corners being slippery it wasn't dangerous. Sadly they had to exclude Route 66 and added a lot of access trail to make up the difference. I feel like I spent half my time riding on double track.

It was good fun though! And it was overcast the entire time so it was nice riding weather. Still, rinsing off in the bike wash afterwards was the best part of the day, lol.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge View Post
    It did rain the day before and the trail was very muddy, especially on the first lap. But the mud eventually got splattered off the trail and aside from some corners being slippery it wasn't dangerous. Sadly they had to exclude Route 66 and added a lot of access trail to make up the difference. I feel like I spent half my time riding on double track.

It was good fun though! And it was overcast the entire time so it was nice riding weather. Still, rinsing off in the bike wash afterwards was the best part of the day, lol.
    Rinsing off yourself or the bike? haha!

I had a great time. My first "race." I was able to complete 4 laps which is 3 times as much as I typically do on a ride day. I'm still recooping and plan too all week.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Oh rinsing off myself definitely . It was a sweaty one!

FYI race results here:
    https://spreadsheets1.google.com/spr...hl=en_US#gid=0

Photos available here:
    Rumble in the Jungle 2011 - Condor Sport Photography

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bclagge View Post
    Oh rinsing off myself definitely . It was a sweaty one!
    Ohh sweet! Looking through photos now. Good looking out! I know there were several photog's out there. Hopefully I'll somehow stumble across their photos as well

mtbr member
    I just purchased one of condor's pics. Downloaded only half of the picture. Ughhh

EDIT - Got it to work. Came home and it downloaded fine.
    Last edited by Stuckinmuck; 08-08-2011 at 10:03 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Another photographer put her pics up:

Welcome to ImageQuix - ImageQuix: Photography. Online.
    Photographer ID: 89NW69W

I can't get the preview to load up though....