Pisgah-Pale-Alien

Rolling through Chattanooga

I may be driving through Chattanooga on my way south this weekend and have a half day or so to explore. I've ridden Raccoon Mtn and Stringers Ridge before, whats another good 2 or 3 hour ride I shouldn't miss?
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    May 2007
    White Oak Mtn is pretty fun and its close to Enterprise. It's outside of town on the Northeast side, though.

mtbr member
    5 points for sure and I'd hit White oak if you have the time.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    Yeah I read on another thread about White Oak, Enterprize and Five Points. Thanks but since I won't have time to explore one of those areas entirely, I thought someone might recommend a paticular trail or loop thats a can't miss in one of those.
    Pisgah Forest NC

mtbr member
    You easily can ride all three of the trails at Enterprise South in the time you have alotted.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    If you are headed down I-24 East, Get off in Monteagle Tn. and turn left for Sewanee. There is a really nice trail at the University of The South. Here is a link to a map Perimeter Trail we have better maps at the shop if you stop by. There's a google maps link on our home page.

mtbr member
    + for White Oak Mountain. Can do the entire trail in 2-3 hours. IMO it's the best trails in Chattanooga.

Pisgah-Pale-Alien
    I got the chance to ride Chattanooga on the way back instead of there and only had a couple hrs so I hit up Enterprize South. It was the perfect choice since I was short on time and already beat up from a wknd of riding in Birmingham. Really nice flow trail and great map and signage. The ammo bunkers were cool, even rode around inside the one at the pump track. Thanks for the replies.

-Goose
    Pisgah Forest NC

The perfessor
    - I've got a friend who lives 3 miles from White Oak Mt., and my first trip was great....didn't ride either the single or double diamond trails, am waiting to bring my FSR rig up for that trip........
    Trifecta is Perfecta: 26" FSR Geared / 29er SS Rigid / 29er Ti Hardtail Geared

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    How many miles of riding on the Perimeter sys?
    Thanks Greg

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I'm a Sewanee grad and fell in love with mountain biking on the Perimeter Trail. It's about 20 miles in total, but there are a few sections off limits - sensitive ecology in Shakerag Hollow and cliffs between the Cross and Morgan's Steep. Also can't ride Solomon's Temple Trail or Bridal Veil Trail. The PT on the southern side of Brakefield Rd is a little more challenging than the north. I always thought the north was more fun/flowy. There's a ton more riding if you hit the forest roads in-between sections of the PT, some of which is pretty good. Best access/parking at Brakefield Gate 4 on the map above, then take forest roads N/S to the PT; alternatively at Gate 11 and the terminus at 9/8. Avoid the entire section along Hwy 41-A if mtb'ing - it's all paved.

That being said, it's all owned by the University. I'd recommend small groups (like 1 car) to avoid attention if you're not connected to the University. Campus police don't have much to do in this small town, and you'll often see them patrolling Brakefield. From Sewanee's Website:

"The trail is open for day hikes to all individuals. Camping is for students, alumni, staff and faculty only. Please follow Leave No Trace guidlines. Use by groups not associated with the University is handled on a case by case basis. For maps and more information, please stop by the SOP office in the Bishop's Common. The SOP manages the Perimeter Trail." Sewanee Outing Program | Sewanee: The University of the South

Pretty great road biking too. Check out Roark's Cove Rd (super steep drop to beautiful rural valley with many route options) and Sherwood Rd (long fun descent/climb, usually an out-n-back) to get started.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey don't mean to hijack this thread. I'll be heading to the noog 12-14ish. I'm asking the same question I was planning to bring the ss rigid what do y

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Hey don't mean to hijack this thread. I'll be heading to the noog 12-14ish. I'm asking the same question I was planning to bring the ss rigid what do you guys recomend? Still white oak mtn?

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Sorry about the double post .... stupid iPhone.