mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Rode Unicoi -- my first time actually MOUNTAIN biking!

I am planning to do a race at Unicoi near Helen GA later this summer, so went up there to practice. I had a great time.

The trails are mostly on logging roads with very little singletrack, but very scenic and a great workout! I am not used to that much climbing, hadn't ridden in nearly 2 weeks, and I had just walked to Helen that morning, so I took it easy pushed up probably a half-mile of hills.

There was one short climb that is very steep and looks like it would be a challenge to ride -- I want to try it when I am fresh. The was also one very steep long downhill run that I also walked in interest of safety -- the trail was wet and I was tired.

The roads had more stones and gravel than we are used to here in the Gwinnett & Barrow county areas, but my HT was more than adequate once I got the hang of it, and actually more comfortable than a lot of rooty patches we have around here.

The trail is 8 miles long, but I ended up doing 9 because the trail is poorly marked at one place and I ended taking a shortcut back to the start. I averaged 6.3 mph.

Anyway, if you're up that way and have never ridden Unicoi, check it out. I don't think you will be disappointed.

Be sure to pick up a free map at the office of the lodge. It has an elevation profile which will impress friends when you show it to them

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Great stuff. I will check it out. Im from Gainesville GA.

mtbr member
    last time I rode there I got chased by a dog out in the middle of the woods! Some of the trails are foot travel only!

Great trail and area for Family Fun. Back in the day there were National MTB races held there.

Here are the results from 1994 NORBA Nationals MTB Race in Helen and a couple videos.

Unicoi Trail Helen, Georgia

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Very cool. I've hiked lots of the AT through that area. My oldest brother was an outfitter at Mountain Crossings on the AT and used to shuttle hikers and riders all over that part of GA.

mtbr member

At

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge13 View Post
    I've hiked lots of the AT through that area.
    Yep, just up the road from Unicoi State park YoU can Access the Appalachian trail at Unicoi GaP. The Trail heading north out of Unicoi GAp over Tray Mountain is a BEAST!

Heres some video and GPS from Hikes Heading North and Heading South out of Unicoi Gap along the Appalachian Trail.
    Appalachian Trails