mtbr member

Rode San Felasco trail in Alachua, FL first time today

I've been riding mtn bikes in Florida since '99. Been on about 8-9 different trails systems now. Had heard about San Felasco for years but just never got up this way. I live in Ocala, so I ride Santos all the time.

What a nice find. Reminds me a little of Santos back when I first started riding there in '99. Grassy parking lot. Laid back people. Very little traffic on the trails. Lots of wildlife on the trails. And great trails. I think I only rode about half of the trails. Surprisingly they take you out into open fields fairly often. On a nice day like today, no big deal. In the heat of summer in Florida that would be brutal. A good variety of trails. Looking forward to getting back there again and checking out the rest of it.
    One side note: saw a doe and fawn together on the trail. The mama took off. And the fawn stayed, making a squeak noise... probably 15' in front of me on the trail. Pretty cool! I think it was calling for it's mama.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Nice. Did you ride Tung Nut? Nice long climb followed by nice long descent.

I rode there first time about 3 weeks ago. Santos is my go to trail as its closer to home.

mtbr member
    I did ride Tung nut. I wasn't sure, while I was riding, if I was getting all of tung nut, because there were several places where you could get off. But after looking that the gps map that Strava made it looks like I did the whole thing. Speaking of long descents... there's that open area, it probably has a name, that is quite long, for Florida, maybe a 1/3 of a mile. Going down that was fun. The gps said 26.5, that's definitely the fastest I've been on a mtn bike, in Florida!

mtbr member
    That would be the power line road. Good climb going up and yes, fun going down!!
    2013 SC Tallboy C
    2011 Niner EMD9