Sir Crashalot

Rode Nayl's For The First Time Yesterday

Nayl's Trail, off of 49th Ave Trail Head in Ocala, FL.

It was pretty cool. It was a roller coaster ride, with a ton of ups/down, sand, and tight turns. The horse flies were absolutely relentless, though.

One thing I liked was the wagon trail that runs along with the bike trails. If you get tired of the roller coaster, you can jump on the wagon trail and hammer it out.

I also crossed 484 and rode the new-ish, supposedly yellow trail to Ross Prarie. That yellow trail is more blue than yellow, and very similar to Nayl's.

Its got what plants crave
    Glad you liked the new trail. I built it myself.

Well me and a bunch of other guys from OMBA anyway
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

ChiliPepper1
    Nayl's Trail rocks! I got the opportunity to ride this with Jay and two brothers earlier this year, and I loved it. Some descent miles as well.

Sir Crashalot
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311
    Glad you liked the new trail. I built it myself.

Well me and a bunch of other guys from OMBA anyway
    Jim,

Is the new trail yellow or blue? The OMBA map shows a yellow trail in addition to the wagon trail, and a proposed blue. I was just wondering if I was on the proposed blue or indeed on the yellow trail. Either way, it's a good compliment to Nayl's.

I used to boundary survey a long time ago, and really appreciate all that's involved in cutting a trail, specially one of that magnitude with all the crazy twists, ups and downs.

I'm going out there again after work tomorrow. I'll probably run Nayl's to 484 then burn my legs out on the wagon trail to Ross Prairie and back to 49th Ave.

DILLIGAF
    Quote Originally Posted by c_kyle
    Is the new trail yellow or blue? The OMBA map shows a yellow trail in addition to the wagon trail, and a proposed blue. I was just wondering if I was on the proposed blue or indeed on the yellow trail. Either way, it's a good compliment to Nayl's.
    It's yellow and we are glad you like it. It was a fun project and I encourage everyone to ride it.

The new blue trail construction won't start until fall. We just got a $10k bikes belong grant and we are working on a matching RTP grant. That money is earmarked for bridges that are necessary due to the extreme elevation. We are going to be building suspension bridges over 50' ~ 100' ravines. The new blue trail will rock!

We have been granted access to a small portion of a horse trail that will eventually link the new blue trail to the Ross Prairie parking area so that we will have parking on that end of the system.

Sir Crashalot
    That sounds like it's going to be really cool.

Its got what plants crave
    Couldn't have said it better myself. I am looking forward to the blue trail, it's going to be fun to build.
    Ocala Mountain Bike Association - www.omba.org

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Nayls, best trail at Santos hands down. By far my favorite. Went up there to ride on Saturday and had the ride cut short after .5 mile. My brother caught his handlebars on a tree, went over the bars, and separated his shoulder. Maybe next time...

Sir Crashalot
    Rode Nayl's again yesterday evening. About 1/2 or 3/4 way through the trail I was coming down a short hill with a tight turn at the bottom. Last time I slowed down enough to make the turn...this time I decided to use the bank. Well, I went over the bank and fell down the other side and landed in sand and thorns.

No damage, just a little bruised and sore. I took the rest of Nayl's to 484 easy, then got a good workout on the wagon trail back to 49th.

This is also my third ride since going 1x9. For me, 1x9 is the way to go. 2lbs lighter and almost all the gearing I need.

Papa T
    Does anyone know the length of the Nayl's Trail loop and the length of the new yellow that extends to Ross Prairie?
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

Jackalope Hunter
    I think Nayls is around 11 miles. I'm not sure of the length of the new yellow, but its pretty short, much shorter than Nayls. I'm not sure about the blue.
    "That which does not kill you makes you stronger"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I thought Nayls was right at 10. I was told the additional yellow adds about 5 more.

Papa T
    Wow,Nayl's was awesome!
    Keep your head tube up!
    2012 Marin Mt. Vision XM Pro
    2009 Jamis Dragon ONE

XXIX
    Quote Originally Posted by Numb Bum
    Wow,Nayl's was awesome!
    I love that trail. Wide handlebars beware haha.