mtbr member

Rock Trail Expansion (in Gainesville, FL)

Hello all. I'm the one who pioneered the Rock trail. From what I understand there is a group out there who want to help expand the trail. For those interested, please let me know. If we can get a solid commitment from a few guys then we'll do it. There is about 4 miles of singletract there now. We can add at least another mile. I spent 3+ hours every Saturday for 5 months a year ago, so I won't be helping out too much with the new expansion. But I will mark off where new trail will be built and give instruction to the team.

I'm humored by reading other posts about the Rock trail and the fact it is sposored by a church. Those that understand the purpose of the trail will appreciate it. It's not meant to replace San Felasco. It's a place to ride to from town and get in a few laps. It's a great place to ride in the evenings and, as some of you know, to have practice XC races in the summer. It's also fun for endurance rides to ride out to San Felasco, do a few hours out there, and then ride to The Rock trail for a few laps.

Also, for those that may be curious, there will be a chuch on the property in the future, but it will not touch the trail.

For those that wonder why a church would sponsor a mtb trail, it's because we have a really great pastor who loves doing things for the community. The Rock church is all about helping people, and we all know that mountain biking helps people.

Anywho, let me know if you want to help with expansion.

mtbr member

Email

You guys that want to help can email me at farmertan7@hotmail.com

Thanks!

Where is my mind?

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! We need volunteers!!

I've heard a lot of people asking what's the story with The Rock Trail . Anyone who has ridden it knows that this a fun trail with serious potential . The owners are open for suggestions on how to make this a worthy trail . We've lost too many trails in Gainesville, Its about time we bring MTB'ers back. Remember its a free trail, but volunteers are needed.

yeah, uh............bikes
    Last time I rode out there was quite a while ago, just wondering if that second "phase" of the trail was ever finished. The section that was going to go across the property to the other side of the house and then snake back through the woods.

I'm not sure if that's a good explanation but I remember seeing markers in the woods off of the dirt/grass road that went across the property along the treeline. The "hill" that the house was on also looked like a good way to get a good speed section.....any trail get built on it?

mtbr member

Count me in

Moving to Gville soon ... at the end of May. Count me in when I get there!

As for the comments about it being church-sponsored, I'll just say that I think in this day and age, its amazing and wonderful that The Rock church is allowing public access to the land! Good for them and much thanks for their generosity. Must be a great group of people there to be so open-minded.

Farmer, just curious ... does this trail fall under stewardship of a Gville mountain bike club? Is there a Gville mountain bike club? I couldn't find one on the net . Also, thanks in advance for a trail that I'm sure I'll put some miles on since I'm moving pretty close to there (about 4 1/2 miles away I think).

Its got what plants crave
    There is a Gainesville cycling club, but it's mostly road riders. They have a few weekend morning rides at San Felasco on Saturday or Sunday, but they ride at like 8 AM, which is totally not happening for me. I prefer to spend my time riding Santos and Razorback anyway. Either way, now that I know that trail isn't private property that people are poaching, I might be inclined to come help if you arrange a trail day. I have some friends I might be able to drag into coming as well.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My friend and I, being the starved mountain bikers we are here in Gainesville, could probably help out during the summer. Send me an email with some info. if you like: ameripino@gmail.com

Thanks for the consideration!

yeah, uh............bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by ameripino
    My friend and I, being the starved mountain bikers we are here in Gainesville, could probably help out during the summer. Send me an email with some info. if you like: ameripino@gmail.com

Thanks for the consideration!
    Starved mountain bikers in gainesville!!!?!?!?!?!?

You don't know what you've got 'til it's gone...........try living in southeast florida

enlightened.
    Dec 2005
    hey guys...don't put your emails on these threads! You'll get slammed with spam! At least remove the ampersand (this thing---@).