mtbr member

Riding in Tallahassee?

Last year at Fools Gold I ran into a Tallahassee resident who told me the area had about 50 miles of good offroad riding. I've checked out some of the vids and I am very interested in riding up there, so next year I'd like to take an overnight trip up there to check it out. I like longer rides with mixed terrain (smooth, gnar, flat, hills, whatever...I want it all). What are some good dirty routes to ride up there?

Also, how does the elevation change compare to somewhere like Santos or Croom or San Felasco?
    Last edited by A1an; 10-17-2012 at 07:12 AM.
    Signature

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Tallahassee has a few ride options with 20+ miles of singletrack available, much more if you are OK with riding multiuse and forest roads.

The three most popular singletrack riding areas are Tom Brown, Munson Hills, and Redbug.

Munson Hills has a bit over 20 miles of singletrack all located on two loops(with connectors, shortcuts, and options) within sandhills and pinewoods. Kind of like a tame version of San Felasco. The Munson Hills loop has been redone within the last few years with a clay base with lots of berms and whooptydoos. Its alot of fun to ride and only as challenging as you make it(by increasing speed). The Twilight Loop is sand, best ridden after a rain cause it can get loose. The terrain in this entire area is fairly consistant. Aside from the clay whooptydos and the occasional sinkhole, expect gentle rolling hills and lots of flats.

None of the trails in Tallahassee are based ontop of strip mines or borrow pits, so stuff like Alafia or Santos isn't really out here. That being said, we have trails with elevation change.

Tom Brown's Magnolia trail and the Cadilac Trail are built along side of a ridge(Cody Scarp) off the side of Piney Z and Lafayette Lakes. There's a good bit of up and downs(for Florida), gnar by version of rootage, and a fair amount of manmade shenanigans. Magnolia has lots of switchbacks and Cadilac takes advantage of the ridgeline elevation better. These trails can be connected with the Fern Trail, which is mostly flat and straight; and also across the lakes to the Alfords Greenways which have a bit of singletrack and lots of multiuse stuff. A there and back from the west side of Fern, or a loop to include it all(including riding Fern twice) will put you in the 25 mile range, with mostly singletrack. There is also a few flow tracks, a BMX track, and a jump track at Tom Brown.

Redbug and the Lake Overstreet Trails(across the street) are in north Tallahassee's clay hills area. I would say this is some of the hilliest natural riding in Florida. Redbug is a 4 mile loop that dips in and out of lush hills, creekbeds, and hardwoods. Its a bit of a jungle. Expect lots of roots, switchbacks, some interesting downhills(for Florida, nothing sustained) and some challenging climbs. I would put Redbug as probably the most challenging loop(as a whole) in Tally. Across the street is Lake Overstreet($2 entry) which has three easy loops through lush hardwood forests with some roots and switchbacks. The Silk Trail is more flowy and takes advantage of elevation moreso than interior three loops. There is also the Cambodia Trail which shoots you down a faily impressive Florida ravine and then makes you climb back up and out of it, one of the more challenging climbs in the area. You'll have to use powerline and multiuse roads to get out of either of these if you don't want to out-n-back on the same trail. I would imagine there's close to 20 miles of singletrack with Redbug and Lake Overstreet trails combined, but increased mileage is possible with the Ravine and Lake multiuse trails and even more available at the Elinor-Phipps park just down the road(more multiuse stuff).

Need more mileage? Its easy to make 80 miles at the St Marks Wildlife Refuge or several hundred miles in Apalachicola National Park - just expect to do it on doubletrack and forest roads.

mtbr member
    Awesome. Thanks for the info.
    Signature

Jackalope Hunter
    Tom Brown (including Cadillac) and Redbug are my two favs... great riding.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    You can combine all three Tom Brown, Munson Hills, and Redbug for a long day..... Tom Brown is pretty groomed and nice, Munson Hills is flat and rolling, good for the big ring and there is a lot of unmarked stuff out that way that go for miles. Redbug is fun, lots of roots, but nice trail and the Lake Overstreet area is good for extra miles. Used to head down the powerlines into overstreet area and then to redbug when I was in school. Tom Brown was the signature trail when I was there and where most races are staged. Fun place to ride, enjoy.

Here's a good link --->
    Tallahassee Mountain Bike Home Page

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Hey guys, slightly OT here but I can't start a thread yet...... Any recommendations for a good chain lube to use in this area (with the sand)? Originally from WV, not sure what would work the best with the sandy conditions. Back on topic, I now live in Crestview (about 2 hours West on I-10) bro is at FSU so I need to get over and check some of these out. Thanks for any input!

mtbr member
    I have used Dumonde Tech for the last five years. Works okay. Sand will still stick to the chain but it isn't terrible. Just brush down the chain if you get into a bunch of sand.
    Signature

linkwvu
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by A1an View Post
    I have used Dumonde Tech for the last five years. Works okay. Sand will still stick to the chain but it isn't terrible. Just brush down the chain if you get into a bunch of sand.
    Thanks A1an, appreciate it

mtbr member

Bumping...

Hi All,

I'm looking to get in a longish ride in Tally and I'm interested in the below route. I'm an FSU Alum and this will be the second year I get up there for a game weekend and a few rides. I meet a buddy there, and last year we put in some milage at Munson Hills and some other off the grid forest roads out west of town. This year we plan to get to the Magnolia / Cadilac areas.

I'm down for a good 25-30 mile ride with a mix of everything just as the OP requested.. Is beginning on the Fern Trail and doing the loop out to Tom Brown / Cadilac and back still a good option? Any tips/tricks to find the route myself unguided without getting too lost? I noticed the Tallahassee Mountain Bike website no longer exists. Can anybody link me to some useful maps that I can work with? Any and all advice about the area appreciated!

Thanks Guys

Tom Brown's Magnolia trail and the Cadilac Trail are built along side of a ridge(Cody Scarp) off the side of Piney Z and Lafayette Lakes. There's a good bit of up and downs(for Florida), gnar by version of rootage, and a fair amount of manmade shenanigans. Magnolia has lots of switchbacks and Cadilac takes advantage of the ridgeline elevation better. These trails can be connected with the Fern Trail, which is mostly flat and straight; and also across the lakes to the Alfords Greenways which have a bit of singletrack and lots of multiuse stuff. A there and back from the west side of Fern, or a loop to include it all(including riding Fern twice) will put you in the 25 mile range, with mostly singletrack. There is also a few flow tracks, a BMX track, and a jump track at Tom Brown.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    TMBA is revamping the website right now, expect it back up shortly.

The route you quoted is still a viable route, short possible of crossing from Cadillac to Alfords Greenway, they are building a crosswalk across the train tracks and its not open yet. You can probably still make your way around. Viewing 20.59 mi mountain bike on 4/25/2013 | MapMyRide however you can ride more of the multiuse trail in the greenway for additional mileage or double up on some of the other trails.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by LinkWVUin FL View Post
    Hey guys, slightly OT here but I can't start a thread yet...... Any recommendations for a good chain lube to use in this area (with the sand)? Originally from WV, not sure what would work the best with the sandy conditions. Back on topic, I now live in Crestview (about 2 hours West on I-10) bro is at FSU so I need to get over and check some of these out. Thanks for any input!
    Dry teflon lube. Tri-flow. I don't even mess with the xc/mud lube, it'll ruin a chain with the saind.
    Suspension and gears are the bastion of the proletariat.

mtbr member
    Well we started Saturday morning from the fern trail off Blair Stone and made it out to Piney Z lake and back.. didn't make the cross over to the JR Greenway as it was still closed. About 18 miles total..What a beautiful ride that was.. forgot how nice it was out there. I still kick myself because I used to live over off Conner Blvd before I started biking.. sure missed out.

Went to the game and wrapped up the weekend with 12.5 miles out at Munson on Sunday. I already want to go back. The weather couldn't have been nicer. Not much for stopping to take pics so didn't get any of the singletrack or any at all at Munson but I snapped a few in the Cadillac area: