mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Riding in South Florida

I am moving down to the South Florida area, and would like to get some info if possible...

Is there any riding in the area at all? If so, is there any decent technical stuff? Any links and names of trails/areas would be appreciated.

As a mountain biker I realize I probably shouldn't move to Florida, but work requires me to do so...I am hoping to get just enough dirt to fill my fix

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Riding in south Florida

Beleive it or not there is quite a bit of riding in south Florida.In Miami there is Oleta (about 12-13 miles of tough singletrack. Not a lot of elevation changes but has a good layout made up of a hardpack clay and shell rock base. The trail is pretty rooty and rocky. It has some real fun sections including a couple areas that include a couple miles that resemble a giant bmx track with bermed corners and man made jumps. Then there is Amelia Airhart park that is another fun trail that consists of about 6-7 miles of singletrack. In Ft. Lauderdale there is Markham park that has about 9-10 miles of singletrack that is very technical and has many sections that requir full concentaration in order for you not to dab or crash.Even Hans Rey reveiwed it on MTBR and said it was tricky! Mostly clay make up. In Pompano Beach there is Quiet Waters park that has a decent trail system of about 6-7 miles of singletrack. There is even a freeride area near the trails end.

Some other trails you will want to check out are farther north like Razorback( best trail in the state) and Bellveiw(Ocala) and Carter Road, The TOE trail, and Alfilia Park (Lakeland area). And Hailes Trails in Gainsville. Full suspension is a must for most of these tails and the norm you will see are 4-5 inch travel bikes.Hope this helps

www.goneriding.com

www.clubmud.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Sweet man, thanks for the help...

I was actually thinking about selling my 5 inch travel bike (Jamis XLT 3.0) and toning it down a bit with a straight XC bike...but I'll wait till I get there and go from there.

I'll drop a line on MTBR when I head out for some rides.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

yeah, uh............bikes
    OK, first question is how far south are you going?

The only place open in south florida is Oleta, but Markham park is opening tomorrow after a lot of work on the trails. If you're looking for technical riding florida will definately feed your appetite, most advanced trails are very rooty with quick steep ups and downs.

Oleta is pretty fun, mostly flat, very twisty, and has a nice dirt jump spot. Very rooty, and rocky. Only been there twice when the hard trails were still closed.

Quiet Waters is out of the picture for a long time. Hurricane Wilma knocked down most of the trees there and it has since been bulldozed. The freeride area is gone, and most of the trail is destroyed.

Farther north is Jonathon Dickenson and Fort Pierce trail. Fort Pierce is in great shape and lots of fun, JD was damn near burned down a month ago but some trail remains.

If you like freeride then you gotta check out the TOE and Santos. Do a search for them and you will like what you see.

links:
    freeridesouth.com
    http://www.rogersunderland.com/mount...n_florida.html (florida trail list)

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    I will probably be living in Fort Lauderdale, so I will head out to this Oleta place first and go from there...hopefully some of the other trails in that area will give me my weekday fix, then on the weekends I can always drive further. I only do a small amount of freeride stuff. Nothing big.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Good job!

Markham Park is in west Ft. Lauderdale (Sunrise to be exact). Oleta is North East Miami so sounds like you should be able to make it to either trail in 25 minutes or less depending exactly where you live. Oleta has more milage, but has flatter terain. Markham is for sure more tech and has more climbs. Markham is also not nearly as rocky/rooty as Oleta. If you dont have tubeless make sure to bring an extra tube/co-2/and tools as it can be easy to flat on both these trails. Good luck.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I am going on thursday to ride at Markham for the first time. Been to the park many times to go shooting First time to go riding though!

http://www.mtbflorida.net/phpbb2/vie...?p=11323#11323

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    hey the trail at fort pierce is pretty fun it is only about five miles long. It is fairly technichal and quite a lot of roots. it is in a drainage basin of a canal from lake O so you are really riding in and out of the dry creek beds , but in the summer it floods real bad. We may be laughed at for bieng Mountain Bikers in state where there are no mountains but who cares if you are having fun. hope ya like it down here, hell you can ride year round !

mtbr member
    People who laugh at Floridians for mountain biking are really just ignorant. Even Tinker says Florida has some of the most challenging trails in the country, check out his website. No where in the country are the single track as tight and technically challenging as in Florida. We may not have long steady climbs but when you are going from a steep 50 foot descent to the WALL on the other side, your legs will cry for that long steady climb.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Thanks fellas, I will probably check out Oleta or Markham next weekend, if anyone is ever up for a ride, post a thread...

As for the MTB thing in Florida, I don't think anyone should make fun of riding down here, especially since MTBing takes on such a broad range of ridng styles these days...on the other hand, challening to me includes climbs, decents, and technical stuff. But I'll make the most of it while I'm here, and as noted before...you can ride year round!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Markham

Yo,

Well I have finally ridden Markham a couple of times now, and I must say I am fairly impressed. After riding on the west coast for the past 4 years, I didn't expect much from FLA. But these trails were a lot of fun...well marked, well maintained, and nice and technical. Not really liking all that sloppy sand so much, but oh well. The little downhill sections on the expert track are perfect, just enough to test your skills, yet not too extreme. For a nice short and technical ride these trails are awesome.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Just wait until we get some regular rain. Any sand that exsists out there will disapear fast. We basically have had about 1 day of rain here in the past 4 months or so. We are approaching drought conditions. Markham gets hardpacked and fast after some rain. If you really want to ride a fast,flowing trail with some good tech stuff, drive about 3+1/2 hours north to Ocala and ride Reddick one day and Bellveiw the next. Both are great trails (I like Reddick better myself). Reddick is only open Sat.+ Sun. until 5 p.m. Check it out when you get time, you will not be dissapointed.