mtbr member

Riding Rigid in FL

I'm thinking of swapping out my Fox F80RL29 to a Niner Carbon fork. I mostly ride Croom, Flatwoods and a couple other places. I'm looking to see what people think that ride in this area if it is a good idea. I'm open to all opinions.

Speedbump
    If I were specing a light 29er SS or 1X9 to ride exclusively at Flatwoods or Croom, that would be my fork of choice.

If Santos, Alafia or Boyette figure into your riding, I'd go another direction (or have two bikes)
    Crunchy. Even in mud.

Ultraglide In Black
    I've ridden Santos (esp. Vortex loop) a bunch rigid. You'll be fine, but I wouldn't suggest hitting the dirt jumps. It's a blast on the pump track.

Addicted to Dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil335
    I'm thinking of swapping out my Fox F80RL29 to a Niner Carbon fork. I mostly ride Croom, Flatwoods and a couple other places. I'm looking to see what people think that ride in this area if it is a good idea. I'm open to all opinions.
    Do it... You'll adjust your technique and in a couple of rides you'll be fine.
    Actually, in this area Flatwoods is that place that I dislike riding rigid the most. My favorites are everything else (Boyette, Alafia, Santos...)

PS: the rigid mantra is "light hands"

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I have a rigid 29er and I really enjoy it at Flatwoods, Boyette, and Alafia.
    Tampa Florida

07 Iron Horse Warrior 1.3
    07 Redline Monocog Flight 29er 1x9 (The Snot Rocket)

Addicted to Dirt
    Yesterday at Croom...

mtbr member
    Cool thread. I'm from the North Georgia mountains and am here in New Smyrna on vacation for a couple of weeks. Brought my rigid Niner down and it rides great here in FL. Even easier than up north! On a side note, the guys at Spruce Creek have a great trail. Really cool change-up from what I'm used to!
    - KERSH -

local jackass
    sorry to thread jack but how is croom is it sandy like the dirt bike pits or is its actually good riding worth the trip up from lutz

PS I really want a Rigid SS 9er
    His
    2010 FSR XC
    2010 ALLEZ
    Hers
    2012 Myka 29'r
    2009 Cannondale Synapse 5
    Down East Cyclists

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Croom is a terrible place to ride. Nothing to see, too sandy, too hot. Better stay home and ride all of the great trails around Lutz.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jonesy66
    Croom is a terrible place to ride. Nothing to see, too sandy, too hot. Better stay home and ride all of the great trails around Lutz.
    Croom isn't terrible. It's actually a great place to ride. It could use a little less sand. It's hot everywhere in FL.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    no detection of sarcasm? really, stay away.

BMW 2002, Dodge A100, etc
    Just put an rigid fork on a 90s Balance Aluminum and enjoy riding it, especially for distance, canals, dirt roads, etc. I have large 2.4" wide tires on it for traction and helps with the sugar sand too. Good for technique / skills but will hurt your wrists if you ride it to hard and don't look for the smooth lines. A single speed rigid is about as simple as it gets too. FL is so flat that you can probably find a gear and go. My rigid bike is an 8sp with gripshift, but it would be lighter as a SS...