mtbr member
    Apr 2004

Riding Florida, it's not what you might think!

Thought I'd share some photos from some of our local trails here in FL. I know everyone thinks FL is flat and boring, but it's not really what many people think. If you are making a trip to FL, here is some of what you have to look forward to. All images from my gallery at

http://www.pbase.com/max99/mountain_biking

[SIZE=5]Santos:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]The T.O.E:[/SIZE]

[SIZE=5]Alafia River State Park[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    cool pics.

The Silent Rider
    Nov 2004
    nice pics. I am planning on heading back down there for some more riding in the next couple of weeks
    YETI 575
    TREK 4900
    GIANT OCR C2

yeah, uh............bikes
    Nice pics and galleries! Good shots of the wood stuff at Santos too.

Here's my favorite pic from Alafia. The run in for the section of trail in the pic was pretty washed out that last time I was there three weeks ago, I couldn't get decent speed into it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    As of 2 weeks ago the run-in to that section was still rutted out but I'm sure they'll fix it soon as the trail maintenance crew at Alafia is very good at getting things fixed.

I had fun up at Santos last weekend and will probably be there again this Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by BillT
    As of 2 weeks ago the run-in to that section was still rutted out but I'm sure they'll fix it soon as the trail maintenance crew at Alafia is very good at getting things fixed.

I had fun up at Santos last weekend and will probably be there again this Sunday.
    What were you riding last week? I was there on friday and saturday on a green Kona Dawg.

Hopefully I'm gonna be stopping by santos tomorrow and sunday for a quick ride, maybe I'll see ya out there.

mtbr member
    I was on a blue anno Blur...I was mostly hitting the red trails around the first quarry and the freeride trail but stopped a bit to watch people jump and to do the pump track a bit. I live in Orlando and usually split up my riding between Carter Road, TOE, Alafia, Razorback and Santos, but with all the new stuff at Santos, I've mostly been going there.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Yeah, Santos is really a magnet these days. Was hoping to head up there tomorrow, but this weather isn't looking so promising right now

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Floridafish called me today at like noon and told me he had stopped by Santos when he was passing by. He described the limestone mud as "peanut butter", so I decided against trying to go ride there today. Should be better but that stuff is slick as snot when it's in the think mud stage.

More than one, of course!
    Can someone help me out? Where is TOE? I keep hearing about it but directions are elusive.
    "It's NEVER all downhill" DMR

mtbr member
    The TOE is a private trail and you need to be a member of the Ridge Riders to ride there. Go to www.ridgeriders.com for information on how to join.

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    Quote Originally Posted by far raider
    Can someone help me out? Where is TOE? I keep hearing about it but directions are elusive.
    It's in Lakeland.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by far raider
    I've never gone, but I understand that you have to become a member of Ridgeriders before you get in. Check out: http://www.ridgeriders.net/

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Busted my first helmet today at Alafia. Did a full on endo into the swamp on the 90 degree drop on Rock Garden. I did the same turn no problem 2 days ago. Today I was feeling way to uppity. I was thinking my bike fit like a glove and I could do no wrong. I was at the end of the ride. We did Rollercoaster, Moonscape, Gatorback, Bridges, and Rock Garden. Way too much speed into the turn. Flipped, dropped, splash! That swamp is not too deep. In fact on the way down I was thinking, 'thank God this is water', then WHAM! Pieces of my helmet floating in the green goo. I left a helmet piece on the trail as a tribute to the trail gods. I love this sh t.

Quote Originally Posted by tootsjofus
    Busted my first helmet today at Alafia. Did a full on endo into the swamp on the 90 degree drop on Rock Garden. I did the same turn no problem 2 days ago. Today I was feeling way to uppity. I was thinking my bike fit like a glove and I could do no wrong. I was at the end of the ride. We did Rollercoaster, Moonscape, Gatorback, Bridges, and Rock Garden. Way too much speed into the turn. Flipped, dropped, splash! That swamp is not too deep. In fact on the way down I was thinking, 'thank God this is water', then WHAM! Pieces of my helmet floating in the green goo. I left a helmet piece on the trail as a tribute to the trail gods. I love this sh t.
    holy crap, the really steep right hand turn near the water? If I'm thinking of the right spot it's on "Franks loop".

I've always wondered about bailing into the swamp at that turn, sux to hear that it's too shallow for a nice landing. I finally cleared it after it was redone with the log waterbars and paver stones. I busted my rear brake lever bailing half way down that thing once.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Yeah, that right turn got me once too. Cracked a good Cratoni there.
    Actually the Palm tree on the right did.

Glad you guys like that trail.

Frank (of Frank's loop, the original trail)

I think Art or Juliann did the addition part that contains that right hander.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yeah thats the one. Swamp really did a good job fixing it up, but man those stones are hard to get a good grip on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tootsjofus
    Busted my first helmet today at Alafia. Did a full on endo into the swamp on the 90 degree drop on Rock Garden..
    How funny! I've done the same thing...awhile back (maybe 6 months ago), I was at the same area and for some reason decided to take an inside line and promptly nose-wheelied right into the drink. My helmet was spared, but I got 2 decent sized dings in my rims. It took my up until my last trip to Alafia to attempt it (successfully) again.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I did an endo at Carter Road and my bike flipped down into the creek. I am real careful at the Alafia and Carter road near the deep water, I'm afraid I'll lose my bike in it. Never mind the nasty snakes (alligators don't bother me as bad as the snakes).

I'll look for your helmet when I'm out there next weekend.
    2007 Ibex Asta Pro
    2010 Specialized Epic Comp 29er....SWEET
    ------
    Retired: 1998 Specialized Hardrock Sport FS

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by wesd
    I am real careful at the Alafia and Carter road near the deep water, I'm afraid I'll lose my bike in it. Never mind the nasty snakes (alligators don't bother me as bad as the snakes).
    Has anyone lost a bike out there. Is there such a thing as an MTB grave yard?

mtbr member
    I love alafia, but im still workin up the guts to do moonscape and rollercoaster. lol im worried my trusty old hard tail cant take it.... but ill never know until i bite the bullet lol. i also gotta hit up santos to
    BTW does anyone have a new map of Alafia that shows Frank and several others, i keep getting lost
    Last edited by carnage; 04-19-2006 at 07:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005

Don't be fooled by all the bouncy

bikes you see everyone riding. My friends and I ride hardtails and we do all the trails. They are so nice to climb with. You have to be on your toes for the downhills but it is a blast. As far as losing a bike in the water. If my bike disappears into the drink I am going in after it, no question. If I have to get the SCUBA out so be it.