Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Restrictions on South FL trails

2K views 29 replies 8 participants last post by  475856 
#1 ·
Specifically for Markham Park and Quiet Waters. Are there age restrictions and or any other big restrictions other than having fun but doing it safely without any injuries?

#15 ·
I see when there is a blatant failure of the trail crew to willingly ignore an issue on the trail and someone gets hurt, that person has a right to expect some form of compensation. That hasn't happened in Markham as quite a few trailbuilders ride there on a daily bases and check out all the trails and close a trail that is deemed unsafe. Rte 66 was closed for a few days recently and yet some peeps rode it anyway....:mad:

Following the rules doesn't exempt you from getting hurt either, but wearing protective gear can mitigate this. When I started MTBing, I looked like Robocop with all my armor on, but I didn't get hurt as badly as when I started riding without all that gear.

However getting hurt is part and parcel of the sport. Some expert riders have recently broken bones in Markham.
It happens and those guys know the risk of pushing the limit. Sometimes it pays off and sometimes it doesn't.
Some common sense would be the best approach IMHO, but that is asking for a lot in a litigious society that plays the blame game so well...

#10 ·
Markham is still challenging but the flow has improved. There are still tricky spots and one of them looks easier than it is as it is a very fast downhill. That trail is Outback Extension btw.
I always tell people 'when in doubt to walk it out'. Too many peeps don't check their ego at the gate and get in trouble.
Enjoy the trails when you ride them!!:D

#16 ·
Sign a waiver? Kind of silly. Even with signature you can still sue and recover.

Watch a video/ Look I'm all for safety but IMO this is a bit much.

Wonder if they are going to check Camelbacks in the future to make sure you are not drinking sugared drinks.

A sign at the entrance should be sufficient warning of the potential dangers in mountain biking.

Just my opinion.

#17 ·
Sign a waiver? Kind of silly. Even with signature you can still sue and recover.

Watch a video/ Look I'm all for safety but IMO this is a bit much.

Wonder if they are going to check Camelbacks in the future to make sure you are not drinking sugared drinks.

A sign at the entrance should be sufficient warning of the potential dangers in mountain biking.

Just my opinion.
Few people read the signs as is evident with the people just walking/ riding by the Helmets Mandatory sign as well as the NO PEDESTRIANS on the two big signs with the rules on them....
If you don't sign the waiver and watch the video and get your FREE pass, you're trespassing, and suing the county for your stupidity will be more difficult too.. YMMV

#18 ·
Safety measures are needed for people that take measures into there own hands. For every two or three people that are keen on following the rules there is always a few who think the rules don't apply to them. I am ok with the signs and waivers and people overlooking the trails to make everything is in place.

#28 ·
QW requires the same waiver as Markham. If you get the pass at Markham you are covered in QW as well. Just today I had to ask one dumbass to leave and my friend Chris got # 2 this AM too. When you enter the parks you ride by at least 4 signs stating "helmets required", so what part of those words is so hard to understand??
Sorry if I sound cranky but it is in your interest as a rider, as well as the park's interest, to be responsible enough to realize that you are either trespassing or riding legally. Either way an EMS ride out of the park is more costly than a helmet.

#29 ·
I own a helmet and gloves, yes I know gloves were just reccomended but I took a nasty spill on my first ride so I bought a pair. I have the wavier signed as well. So I now see no problem. I'm checking Markham out not this weekend but hopefully next weekend. Been going to quiet waters because its closer but I really want to try Markham now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.