Currently in Exile

A request for East TN. MTBR's

If any of you folks ever venture over to the Passion Forum you might know me as the trail building, race promoting, sometimes Sport Racer from ND who rambles on about how he misses riding Appalachian trails. As the snows start to swirl here in ND, I am feeling than pain of separation from my favorite trails even more. So, here is my request.

I would like you all to take pictures of people riding trails in E. TN. Please post them in the Passion Forum, or just post them in this thread here. I will probably link to it anyway. There are two trails in particular that I love and miss over all others in the region. They are:

Panther Creek St. Park close to Morristown, TN. This place has about 10 or 11 miles of trail. My personal favorite sections are Trout Lilly (a rather twisty loop with a pretty technical rock section near the lake), Pioneer loop (the biggest climb in the park with some rolling stuff near the end that will really work you if you ride it clockwise), Deer Run (an absolute roller coaster of a ride that you can hammer but watch for hikers on this trail), and Outer Farm loop (a twisty rollercoaster with some wicked roots that try to buck you off your bike).

Haw Ridge near Knoxville, TN. This place rocks! It's all good. There is just too much nice stuff out there to single any of it out. This place was over an hour from my house, but I would gladly make the drive any chance that I got. Haw Ridge made me a better technical rider. I love it, and I miss it.

I never took any photos of riding at either of these places. What a doofus was I. So please, please, if you don't mind, could you guys and gals go ride these wonderful trails and take some photos of yourselves, your freinds, your neighbors kids, I don't care on them? I promise you that while I am the one asking the favor, if you do this you will be the ones receiving the reward.

Frozenspokes
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

Jabberwocky Jockey
    Dood, how the hell didja end up in ND? I hear summer is the best two weeks of the year up there.

Anyway, You might head over to www.ntmba.org, it's the internet home of the Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association based in Johnson City. We just got back from Haw Ridge and the 12 HOT. It was a blast. There's a writeup in the Rants and Raves section of our site with a few pics.

Good Luck
    Calling out from the Land of the Riding Hillbilly.

www.vassagocycles.com
    www.ntmba.org

My Blog

Currently in Exile

See my Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkwing Duck
    Dood, how the hell didja end up in ND? I hear summer is the best two weeks of the year up there.

Anyway, You might head over to www.ntmba.org, it's the internet home of the Northeast Tennessee Mountain Bike Association based in Johnson City. We just got back from Haw Ridge and the 12 HOT. It was a blast. There's a writeup in the Rants and Raves section of our site with a few pics.

Good Luck
    That is my wing patch. I am in the Air Force, and....."The needs of the Air Force outweigh the needs of the individual." In this case that means that the Air Force's need to have operational bombers outweighs my need to have beautiful singletrack and year round riding.

Thanks for the link to the 12 hrs of HOT. I did that race in 2001 and 2002 with the Spokejunkies team. It was always a great time.
    Last edited by Frozenspokes; 11-03-2005 at 07:53 PM. Reason: punctiation;)
    "There are those who would say there's something pathological about the need to ride, and they're probably on to something. I'd wager though that most of the society-approved compulsions leave deeper scars in the psyche than a need to go and ride a bicycle on a mountain." Cam McRea

mtbr member

SORBA photos

Here is a link to the photo page of the SORBA site. There are some East TN photos in there.

http://www.sorba.org/modules.php?name=gallery

Man, if I had a digi cam, I'd love to indulge you....Haw Ridge is awesome.....I'm a transplant from Michigan, and there's nothing like this time of year in east TN.....absolutely****inggorgeous weather......and it never really gets "bad" like the north.....no more severe winters for me