mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Relocating to the Atlanta area.....

So I got a job offer and may be relocating to the Atlanta area. I am from Oregon and ride my mountain bike a couple times a week. What is the riding like in that area? I like all types of riding but much prefer the technical stuff.. Anything like that???
    THANKS

rmi
    Still using dork disk.
    Don't know what OR was like (as I have never been west of UT), but the riding around ATL is pretty good. I live in Athens, which is 1.5 hours east of ATL and "share" some of the same riding locations.

Look to the Chattahoochee NF to the north and Chicopee Woods in Gainesville. Last time I rode Tsali in NC, an ATL dweller told me that Blankets Creek is the best riding in ATL. I have also heard that Big Creek is good.

I would use the "trail review" section of this website to search trails by nearest town. Search Atlanta and the neighboring communities and look at the reviews.

Ryan

mtbr member
    http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en...22e08ba9cd3569

you have to go up towards the mountains, for what I consider to be technical riding, but there's plenty of single track around within driving distance... most have a few nuggets of challenge.

mtbr member

Trails

You'd be surprised by the number & quality of trails in Georgia & the southeast. It's really a pretty good area to be a mountain biker! Plus, there's a 12 month a year riding season if you're used to being cold.

Here are some reviews that I've written to get you started. Also, Blankets Creek seems to be THE place in ATL to ride, and I still haven't been there yet.

Big Creek, Roswell
    Suburb of Atlanta, and has stunts, jumps, and other tech/DH features.

Chicopee Woods, Gainesville
    Pretty close to ATL and good network

Fort Yargo, Winder
    Pretty close to ATL

Bull Mountain Trail Network, Dahlonega
    More Technical to Very Technical

Bear Creek, Ellijay

Pinhoti, Ellijay

Stanley Gap, and Flat Creek, Blue Ridge
    More Technical

Hawkes Creek, Athens
    More Technical

Heritage Park, Athens

Stonewall Falls, Clayton
    GregRidesTrails.com--An informational and instructional mountain bike blog.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Very cool thanks!! Its a 12 month riding season here as well, you are just wet and cold for a few months... LOL but i still love it..

Go make a difference
    Why does no one ever mention Sope Creek? You're gonna regret it, Sope is about to be a top 10 urban trail in the US-- something Blankets and Big Creek will never be (mostly cuz they ain't urban).

www.sopecreektrails.com

To the OP, we got nothing good to ride here. Stay away.

If you like technical, call me and let's go ride. That's my favorite kind of riding! When will you be here? I have an event over Halloween weekend that you'd like. Gonna be up at the Ocoee River region in TN. Details HERE.

See you soon!
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Not sure when i will be there for sure or if its even for sure that I will be. Just starting this process of deciding weather or not we want to move our family accross the country. But you know how it is.. The most important thing to check first is the riding situation.. So it sounds like i will have a good time!! Awesome!!

That would be awesome for you to show me around a bit after we settle in. Thanks, I will for sure look you up!!