Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

recommendated ATL trails

can anyone recommend me some beginner/intermediate trails in the ATL area?

thank you.

mtbr member
    Yellow River (near Stone Mountain) is as easy as it gets technically but is a labrynth of mixed use trails so it's pretty easy to get lost.

Blankets Creek (Woodstock) has a little bit of everything for everyone.

Same with Big Creek (Roswell) - along with some pumptracks and DH/FR stuff so you can advance your skills.

Dauset Trails in Jackson are chunky but not too technically difficult.

Allatoona Creek seemed really beginner friendly from what I can remember, it's on the west side of Atlanta near Powder Springs.

I also hear that Rope Mill is really beginner friendly and it's up in the Woodstock/Canton area as well.

Where are you living and how far do you mind driving for trails?

mtbr member
    thanks i will have to look into those trails. i currently live in brookhaven and was at red top mountain this weekend. the trails wasnt too fun. i hope to check out gainsville college trails this weekend.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Start off with Big Creek since it is right up the road from you and then hit Blankets. Chicopee is very good also.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I am in Sandy Springs area and most of the time take exit 22 on 285 to Sope Creek, short and sweet ride. Went to Big Creek once, had a blast on pump-tracks (first timer).

Shoot me PM if you wanna ride on weekends, Big Creek or Sope.

mtbr member
    I hit Chicopee last week was on Tortoise and Coyote Loop trail. Coyote Loop was a little technical but was fun. Today I hit Gainsville State College trail before the SOBRA race and really liked the trails. Anything similar to Gainsville State College trails??
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I will be in douglasville for Thanksgiving. Was going to see if I can sneak away for a few hours saturday morning (super early) to go ride Big Creek up in Roswell. It's about an hour drive from where I am staying. I know it's a holidy and most will be out of town or have people in but if I can get away from mine any one up for a ride for an hour or 2 up there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunzgrafix View Post
    I will be in douglasville for Thanksgiving. Was going to see if I can sneak away for a few hours saturday morning (super early) to go ride Big Creek up in Roswell. It's about an hour drive from where I am staying. I know it's a holidy and most will be out of town or have people in but if I can get away from mine any one up for a ride for an hour or 2 up there?
    Any particular reason on Big Creek? If not, coming from Douglasville I would hit Blankets instead. I am having a procedure done the week before Thanksgiving and will need to take it easy for a while, but if i am given clearance I can show you around either area. PM me or post back to this thread as the date gets closer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Whats blanket like? I was thinking big creek as they have a pump track, have a few here and always fun to ride. Plus there is some downhill section and slalom type course.

I am more of a gravity rider, single speed bike.

edit: just saw some of the trail descriptions, looks like a 1/4 mile downhill run at blankets, and maybe a longer section if you are willing to climb on VMT. So looks like a good alternative now just to see the difference in drive time.

Is there any maps that show elevation change for VMT.

Oh and the other reason I was looking at big creek is I might have my 9 year old nephew, my 16 year old nephew and their dad. The 16 will be on my second bike but dad has no bike so was thinking the little one could hit the pump track if he wanted to go and some of the easier trails with dad near by supervising. While the other one and I hit the more tech/downhill stuff.
    Last edited by tommygunzgrafix; 10-14-2012 at 06:44 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    There is going to be some climbing on van Michael. Definitely doable on a single speed, but I have no experience with a downhill bike. You will have more downhill trails at big creek, but if you want big air then blankets is your place. Big creek's beginner trails are slightly technical with some elevation change whereas the beginner trails at blankets are flat with few roots and rocks. Big creek is also next to the paved greenway. If the beginner trails are too technical for young nephew then he could ride the greenways. You will want to ride the greenways to get to the downhill park anyway.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    There is going to be some climbing on van Michael. Definitely doable on a single speed, but I have no experience with a downhill bike. You will have more downhill trails at big creek, but if you want big air then blankets is your place. Big creek's beginner trails are slightly technical with some elevation change whereas the beginner trails at blankets are flat with few roots and rocks. Big creek is also next to the paved greenway. If the beginner trails are too technical for young nephew then he could ride the greenways. You will want to ride the greenways to get to the downhill park anyway.
    Ok I think Big creek will be the best option for us. The little one can ride the pump track with us and the greenway trails. Now if he doesn't go it will be a toss up. I guess it can be a toss up even if he goes. As he can ride a flat trail with us, while dad waits in car. Then when he hit the DH/Jump line he can watch on side of trail with dad and get photos/video.

I rock a hardtail but ride it on all the downhill trails and try to go up some but will walk from time to time on the SS. Only time I have big problems is on the large rock gardens but I still manage to get through. While I would love the awesome wall ride and big hits of blankets, I don't want to get my older nephew in too much over his head. He rides skateboards so his balls can get big, but not being on a bike much if at all and jumping them, I think he might try things he is not ready for on them as far as jumping and get in over his head.

We'll see. Looks like Big Creek is a shorter drive as well (not by much though 10 miles)

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    One thing I'll add is that Dwelling Loop at Blankets creek is one of the better beginner/intermediate trails I have ever ridden. You can FLY if you want (it's great for a single speed) or you can go slower and enjoy. It's a super fast trail that is great for all levels.

noob
    Apr 2012
    There are also some trails in the Douglasville area. Boundary Waters and Clinton preserve. I ride out at Clinton often. There are both pretty decent. Also about 25 min north there is Mt. Tabor which is a really sweet set of trails, I would be up to ride with you if you would want. Just let me know if you want more info or want to meet up. I am in the Douglasville area.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i did blankets creek several weeks ago and loved it. was in the area camping so i figured i'll give it a try.

isn't there a bike trail in conyers?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by CaTiRo View Post
    i did blankets creek several weeks ago and loved it. was in the area camping so i figured i'll give it a try.

isn't there a bike trail in conyers?
    There's a little trail there they used for a small event in 1996. Google Atlanta Olympic mountain bike trails. Have fun!

\m/{-_-}\m/
    Georgia International Horse Park is in Conyers and was used for the Olympics. Not a ton of trail but it's a lot of fun and the slick rock is great.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    i'll be up in conyers for the spartan race so I'll be sure to bring my bike for the trail.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I am concidering Daucet veterans day weekend. I am in intermediate rider but my wife is a beginner. Looking for single track that is fast. Thoughts? My first time up that way. Coming from middle GA (WR)
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    definitely two trails i would recommend - blanket creek and big creek!
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Ft Yargo and Harbins park has some good beginner/intermediate stuff.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Allatoona Creek is closed for the next two months for hunting season, but its a great trail system thats expanding.

sorbaatlanta[dot]org/trails

Masons Bridge and Turtleback Loop/Spur are two pretty awesome Beginner+/ Intermediate trails.

Rusty Bucket is a nice beginner trail too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    daucet should be good to go on Monday (hunting) right? Planning on going there
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member

Dauset Trails, Jackson, GA

No, no hunting problem at Dauset Trails near Jackson, GA. It's private property. Should be near empty Monday. Go as fast as you want for as long as you want. Huff-n-Puff is toughest little loop. Some climbing back up from down by the river, but you have to make your down and across, just keep some in the tank to get back up to your car. Dauset Trails Nature Center
    ScubaCruz
    www.sorba.org

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    How long is the Huff and puff?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    How long is the Huff and puff?
    Looking at the map - http://www.dausettrails.com/Dauset_May26b.pdf - I'm guessing between 1.5 - 2 miles.
    ScubaCruz
    www.sorba.org

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast