Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Thanks for all that posted the trails. I am itching to ride and plan to hit the trail next wednesday. I did a little more searching and found this place. I think I have set my eyes on this place. It's about an hour or so west of douglasville so would be about the same distance if I chose to hit big creek, but this has a 3.5 mile downhill/flow track. SOLD.

The plans they show for future growth this looks like it will/already is a great place to ride

So I can't post links just yet, but if you go to the neabc . org site and click on coldwater it will bring up all the info.

For a video search youtube for "Coldwater Mountain Bike Trail (9 Mile Intermediate Trail)" long video at 15 mins, great highlight around the 9:30 mark.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Coldwater is awesome.. I've ridden out there a couple times.. If you like flowy freeridy stuff you'll have a great time.. Its worth the drive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by branthopolis View Post
    Coldwater is awesome.. I've ridden out there a couple times.. If you like flowy freeridy stuff you'll have a great time.. Its worth the drive.
    So stoked to ride it. I was looking for some DH/Freeride/flow track type trail in the area of atlanta. Little concerned about the climb as I am on a SS, but I will walk up if I have to get to the 3.5 flow/DH section lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    . I'm not going to to lie... the climb up is no joke.but youll make it.. The first mile or so into the trail before the climb is a ton of fun as well..

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    . I'm not going to to lie... the climb up is no joke.but youll make it.. The first mile or so into the trail before the climb is a ton of fun as well..
    haha, ya I expect it to be rough, with no paved road to shuttle up in order to do 3.5 miles DH you must go up first lol

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Wait'll you see the (paved) road you have to drive up just to get to the parking lot.. Alabama isn't as flat as most people think...

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    ColdWater - My experience

First off the trail is amazing and a big thanks to all who made it come together. Can not wait to see all the future expansions.

The drive up to the TH was an awakening of what was to come. The first part of the trail was fun, it flowed well, and not to crazy (in the back of my head, I was thinking I can do this no problems). Being a SS rider I was not ready for the climbs that were to come and quickly realized how tough the up hill journey was going to be. While I did make it through the trail there was times I had to walk the bike up hill.

We finally reached the summit, took a break, and gathered ourselves before hitting the 3.5m DH aka Bomb Dog. At this marker this is a nice photo and story behind the dog the trail was named after.

Let the descent begin, I let my 17 year old nephew lead the way (less experienced and let him set the pace, also so I can keep in eye on him just in case he went down). I gave him a good 50 ft head start and soon caught up to him (this trail was crazy fast if you don't use any brakes) made me realize how much quicker I am on a bike then he is. While I was on the brakes to slow down, so I did not run him over we did manage to keep up about a 20mph average.

Again just as the first part of the trail it was smooth, flowed really well, great berms (nephew's nemesis lol). Lots of fall leaves on the ground which made it harder to get traction when you needed it but provided for an exciting ride. At the base of the descent (at least I think that's about where we were) there is another climb back up to get to the TH. This is painful on the SS and again a cause for more walking.

Had a great time, the place is only an hour from where I stay at in the Atlanta area so I can see many more trips this upcoming year. The DH section is worth making the climbs, you can really pump through some sections and before you know it you are in the air.

For those that ride this regular, I have a question. Is there any way to walk the bikes to the summit in a more direct path vs following the trail? Maybe an ohv trail, fire road, or something like that? I plan to do more training through the winter so when I return next year I might be able to make more of the climb. I am more interested though in just the DH section so if there was a better way to get there that would be ideal for me and the people I ride with. Also would help keep me off the trail for other riders who are pedaling up so that I am not so much in the way. It looks like there is more plans for the development to add DH trails so I am hoping that this will allow for shuttles or some other form to get bikes to the top.

Bro Mountainbiker
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunzgrafix View Post
    ColdWater - My experience

First off the trail is amazing and a big thanks to all who made it come together. Can not wait to see all the future expansions.

The drive up to the TH was an awakening of what was to come. The first part of the trail was fun, it flowed well, and not to crazy (in the back of my head, I was thinking I can do this no problems). Being a SS rider I was not ready for the climbs that were to come and quickly realized how tough the up hill journey was going to be. While I did make it through the trail there was times I had to walk the bike up hill.

We finally reached the summit, took a break, and gathered ourselves before hitting the 3.5m DH aka Bomb Dog. At this marker this is a nice photo and story behind the dog the trail was named after.

Let the descent begin, I let my 17 year old nephew lead the way (less experienced and let him set the pace, also so I can keep in eye on him just in case he went down). I gave him a good 50 ft head start and soon caught up to him (this trail was crazy fast if you don't use any brakes) made me realize how much quicker I am on a bike then he is. While I was on the brakes to slow down, so I did not run him over we did manage to keep up about a 20mph average.

Again just as the first part of the trail it was smooth, flowed really well, great berms (nephew's nemesis lol). Lots of fall leaves on the ground which made it harder to get traction when you needed it but provided for an exciting ride. At the base of the descent (at least I think that's about where we were) there is another climb back up to get to the TH. This is painful on the SS and again a cause for more walking.

Had a great time, the place is only an hour from where I stay at in the Atlanta area so I can see many more trips this upcoming year. The DH section is worth making the climbs, you can really pump through some sections and before you know it you are in the air.

For those that ride this regular, I have a question. Is there any way to walk the bikes to the summit in a more direct path vs following the trail? Maybe an ohv trail, fire road, or something like that? I plan to do more training through the winter so when I return next year I might be able to make more of the climb. I am more interested though in just the DH section so if there was a better way to get there that would be ideal for me and the people I ride with. Also would help keep me off the trail for other riders who are pedaling up so that I am not so much in the way. It looks like there is more plans for the development to add DH trails so I am hoping that this will allow for shuttles or some other form to get bikes to the top.
    Colwater is the closest thing I have ever ridden in the Southeast to riding out west. Solid climb, then solid descents. None of this punchy up and down stuff the southeast is known for.

I had a blast riding out there for the first time the tuesday before thanksgiving. It was funny, me and my 2 buddies were all on rigid singlespeeds. We passed 2 AM FR DH dudes climbing the hill.

When we got to the top we let them descend first figuring they would be way faster on their 6in travel FS bikes. We were way wrong. We ended up catching and passing them.

Anyway, those downhills are hairy. Some wicked tabletops to jump. Probably 50 or so tabletops on the descent. I was only hitting about 25% of them as there is a high penalty for making a mistake. With leaves down on unfamiliar trail, its best to ride timid first than get hurt!

More ATL people should come out and try it!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

Bro Mountainbiker
    If I lived close to coldwater, I would ride a AM 26er hardtail with flat pedals hands down!
    Raised in a Chicken-Coop by Chickens

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheepo5669 View Post
    If I lived close to coldwater, I would ride a AM 26er hardtail with flat pedals hands down!
    We rode the Wednesday before Thanksgiving. Got passed by a rigid early on. Think if I had more than the 1 gear I would have rode the climb up more vs walking. However the DJ single speed I have was really fast and flowed so well on the DH/flow track even a xc hard tail would be great. It can get sketchy real quick so watch out first ride. I went down, all the leaves did not help. Nephew went down twice but that was due to never riding berms before.

I will be adding 9 gears in the rear and will return early spring to ride this again. Def a trail for the atl riders to check out. Its only going to get better as they add more trails. Would love to see some DH races there also.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Looking to make a trip there sometime in January. I wonder how hot it would be there in the summer months? I have been looking at the New Trek stache 8. Its a trail type 29er HT with 120mm fox fork. I wonder how that would be there vs a 26er FS 120mm. Anyway the place looks great. Is it only one trail currently?
    2014 Niner RIP 9
    Full XT
    Rock Shox Pike 140
    Roval Control Carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    Looking to make a trip there sometime in January. I wonder how hot it would be there in the summer months? I have been looking at the New Trek stache 8. Its a trail type 29er HT with 120mm fox fork. I wonder how that would be there vs a 26er FS 120mm. Anyway the place looks great. Is it only one trail currently?
    Not sure how hot it will be during the summer months, but it is a little higher in elevation so might be slightly cooler. Still think it could get into the 90's though at times.

Not sure how the 29er would do, would imagine it would roll faster and rollover more items then a 26, but I was on a 26 HT with 100mm travel (dirt jump bike trek ticket). There was a few guys riding the trail on FS bikes but the trail is so smooth I think a HT would be great vs the FS. Maybe when they get more built up and have more of the technical DH trails with rock gardens, bigger drops, etc. then a FS would be way to go.

Even one of the guys that caught up to me while I we were on a break said that my DJ bike was the ride to have for the DH section. Unless you are older or bad knees and want something with a little more comfort.

There was 2 trails a green loop and a blue loop. The blue loop was harder and it branched off the green loop then about 10+/- it joins back into the green loop to finish. From what I have read and saw online there are plans for a much larger and more extensive trail system, something like 60 miles all ranging in difficulty. If you go to neabc . org there is more info there.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Has anyone ridden on the silver comet trail? Just started mountain biking and have never been to any trails. Thats the closest one from my house.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sorry for the second post. But does anyone know a reputable bike shop that you would trust taking a bike purchased online for assembly? I have just purchase a motobecane fantom 29er elite from bikesdirect and i'm not sure if i trust myself to the assembly. I have basic mechanical knowledge but wouldn't want to ruin a $900 bike.

Also, sorry if this is off-topic. Does a newly assembled bike require tuning at a shop if I assemble myself?

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by John.K View Post
    Sorry for the second post. But does anyone know a reputable bike shop that you would trust taking a bike purchased online for assembly? I have just purchase a motobecane fantom 29er elite from bikesdirect and i'm not sure if i trust myself to the assembly. I have basic mechanical knowledge but wouldn't want to ruin a $900 bike.

Also, sorry if this is off-topic. Does a newly assembled bike require tuning at a shop if I assemble myself?
    Silver Comet is mostly paved, but would still work just to spin the mountain bike.* I remember there being a little off road trail along the left-hand side (left if going westbound), but I don't recall exactly where.*

Sorry I can't help with someone for the bike down in that neck of the woods, but I would highly recommend Curtis Henry at Cannon Cyclery in Roswell.* After he puts it together you can drive right down the road to Big Creek to ride the mountain bike trails or greenway.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Has anyone ridden on the silver comet trail? Just started mountain biking and have never been to any trails. Thats the closest one from my house.
    Not sure exactly where you are located, but since you say you are near the Silver Comet, check out the trails at Mt Tabor Park in the Dallas area.

MT Tabor Park - Paulding SORBA

Silver Comet is a very flat concrete path.. Not much fun on a mountain bike unless you're just wanting to spin...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by stygz1 View Post
    It'll get smokin hot.... think 95+ and 90% humidity for days... and very dusty/dry....

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by tommygunzgrafix View Post
    Not sure how hot it will be during the summer months, but it is a little higher in elevation so might be slightly cooler. Still think it could get into the 90's though at times.

Not sure how the 29er would do, would imagine it would roll faster and rollover more items then a 26, but I was on a 26 HT with 100mm travel (dirt jump bike trek ticket). There was a few guys riding the trail on FS bikes but the trail is so smooth I think a HT would be great vs the FS. Maybe when they get more built up and have more of the technical DH trails with rock gardens, bigger drops, etc. then a FS would be way to go.

Even one of the guys that caught up to me while I we were on a break said that my DJ bike was the ride to have for the DH section. Unless you are older or bad knees and want something with a little more comfort.

There was 2 trails a green loop and a blue loop. The blue loop was harder and it branched off the green loop then about 10+/- it joins back into the green loop to finish. From what I have read and saw online there are plans for a much larger and more extensive trail system, something like 60 miles all ranging in difficulty. If you go to neabc . org there is more info there.
    The next place you need to check out is Windy Gap and the Pinhoti 1, 2, and 3 up near Ellijay...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by thedood View Post
    Silver Comet is mostly paved, but would still work just to spin the mountain bike.* I remember there being a little off road trail along the left-hand side (left if going westbound), but I don't recall exactly where.*

Sorry I can't help with someone for the bike down in that neck of the woods, but I would highly recommend Curtis Henry at Cannon Cyclery in Roswell.* After he puts it together you can drive right down the road to Big Creek to ride the mountain bike trails or greenway.
    Excellent, I will definitely try Cannon Cyclery for my bike build. I like how they're a "neutral" shop that will service anything. Thanks!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Not sure exactly where you are located, but since you say you are near the Silver Comet, check out the trails at Mt Tabor Park in the Dallas area.

Silver Comet is a very flat concrete path.. Not much fun on a mountain bike unless you're just wanting to spin...
    I live at the far edge of Paulding County where Douglasville and Hiram meets. Mt Tabor sounds excellent, I will definitely check it out. I guess I'm going to skip over silver comet trail. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I live at the far edge of Paulding County where Douglasville and Hiram meets. Mt Tabor sounds excellent, I will definitely check it out. I guess I'm going to skip over silver comet trail. Thanks!
    Ya know.. I forgot all about the singletrack on the side of the Silver Comet.. Supposedly several miles of trail. I haven't ridden it, just now remembered seeing it when out spinning on the roadie... There is a section for it on the Paulding Cty SORBA site that I linked...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Brodino View Post
    Start off with Big Creek since it is right up the road from you and then hit Blankets. Chicopee is very good also.
    Yeah Just bought a bike today, I live in Alpharetta and the guy at the bike shop mentioned these trails. BTW hello to everyone trying to get my 5 posts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2