Where is my mind?

New question here. Razorback after rain

Has anyone hit Razorback after the rain? The weather's not looking so hot for this weekend. I know that there's still time for the forecast to change, but still, the thought of diving down Big Gulp while it's still sloshy seems, to me, that it will be scarier than it has to be (even after doing it almost a dozen times). I know the local trails need the rain, but I was wondering how long does the trail take to dry out?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

- Douglas Adams: "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    I hate that trail when its wet. It sucks.

It doesn't take long to dry out but when that limerock dirt gets wet it turns into snot. If you can't tell already I hate it.

Its got what plants crave
    Yeah, it gets downright dangerous out there. However it's been really dry lately and even downpours seem to just soak right in and be gone in a matter of hours. When that limerock gets wet it's just really greasy and difficult to get traction on.

Where is my mind?
    So if light rain to short shower you can ride it that afternoon. If heavier then wait at least a day. When you say limestone section I assume you mean Grannies Revenge and Miller's mile. Where else?
    "'I refuse to prove that I exist,' says god, 'for proof denies faith and without faith I am nothing'"

yeah, uh............bikes
    Most of the climbing and descending is on limestone, limestone "clay", or actual clay. I wouldn't want to ride that trail right after a light rain, it doesn't take much to get that top layer nice and slick.

the #1 Stunna'
    I could see that trail being extreemly hard to ride after a good rain. That woulod be more like NC slime than any other trail i have rode down here. I would not want to ride it. You would slip and slide everywhere!
    I has Bikes

i worship Mr T
    Quote Originally Posted by Acme54321
    I hate that trail when its wet. It sucks.

It doesn't take long to dry out but when that limerock dirt gets wet it turns into snot. If you can't tell already I hate it.
    i'm right there with you. one of the worst trails ever when wet, IMO.

rt
    [SIZE="2"]"where are you not going so fast?" (question asked to cyclist on a trainer)[/SIZE]

[SIZE="2"]*rt*'s fabulous blog[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"][SIZE="2"]mm blogging[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Its got what plants crave
    A light rain isn't too bad because lots of the tech sections are covered by trees and it's been very dry. As long as it had a little time to dry out it should be fine.

gutfiddle

think reddick's bad after rain...

alafia turns to quagmyre, the sand really could use some rain but that clay is sketchy at best after rain. reddick is definitly the place to ride when everything else is a beach but i would let her dry a few days after a rain, and give me a chance to ride it first

Where is my mind?
    So, do riders stay away from Razorback over the summer time cause of the constant rain? Or does it dry well even then?

Edit: Oh, that question goes for Alafia as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    alafia turns to quagmyre, the sand really could use some rain but that clay is sketchy at best after rain. reddick is definitly the place to ride when everything else is a beach but i would let her dry a few days after a rain, and give me a chance to ride it first
    I have to say that Alafia has some of the stickiest mud I've ever seen. I think it's got something to do with that radioactive phosphate stuff in the dirt......not a good thing to get caked all over yourself and bike, may mutate into a man-bike-beast.

mtbr member
    IMO, Santos is a better choice than Razorback if things are wet- tends to dry much faster and have less slick spots.

Where is my mind?
    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaFish
    I think it's got something to do with that radioactive phosphate stuff in the dirt......not a good thing to get caked all over yourself and bike, may mutate into a man-bike-beast.
    Huh!!!???

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    Huh!!!???
    phosphates = slightly radioactive

Where is my mind?
    phosphates = slightly radioactive
    So that's what they've been mining out here. But all the good MTB parks come from phosphate mines (at least all the ones with good techy trails). Does that mean all our rug rats will glow in the dark?

Seriously, is there anyplace to get any more info on that. I'm not going to stop riding the parks, but I am curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclopod
    So that's what they've been mining out here. But all the good MTB parks come from phosphate mines (at least all the ones with good techy trails). Does that mean all our rug rats will glow in the dark?

Seriously, is there anyplace to get any more info on that. I'm not going to stop riding the parks, but I am curious.
    I've seen some people talking about it here on mtbr, and I think somewhere on the SWAMP club site. It's just something that stuck in my head and I think about every time I ride there. Try doing a google on it, I'm sure you'll hit something.

there's really nothing to worry about unless you are comsuming said clay/dirt in mass quantities and when I say mass quantities it's probably on the order of several cubic yards (but that's only a very uninformed guess). T

the greenish blue glow of many watch faces comes from "phosphorescence" of some similar stuff, not harmful, unless you go to extremes.
    Last edited by FloridaFish; 05-02-2006 at 05:04 PM.

Where is my mind?
    there's really nothing to worry about unless you are comsuming said clay/dirt in mass quantities and when I say mass quantities it's probably on the order of several cubic yards (but that's only a very uninformed guess).
    Anyone notice any tumors on their rides?

You'd probably have to consume a lot more than that. I'm going to sound like a geek here, but of the two radio-isotopes of phosphorus, the one with the longest half life is a little over three weeks (stuff is disappearing as we speak). Don't know the proportion of r/a phosphate to non r/a, but if there were a significant amount, the park(s) would have been shut down by now.