mtbr member

Is the rainy weather just killing anyone else?

In middle Tennessee I can't get on a trail right now. Just when the top should be dry enough to get on it, it freezes and we get heave from all the saturated ground below, turning the top into pudding. Or it rains again. I've gotten in three rides since the first of the year, two when it was frozen, one when it was actually almost dry enough I didn't get any mud on my bike. A few suspect areas on the trails were holding some water.

Limiting my riding to paved/gravel trails is killing me, and my favorite road route at the moment is subject to thousands of times it's normal traffic due to a detour around a bridge that's being worked on, so I'm not keen on that. I'm almost ready to buy a trainer.

Anyone else feel my pain?

mtbr member
    Florida is riding great all over from Tampa down to Miami..rain here actually helped a lot.
    2011 Trek 4300....
    2009 Specialized Elite Stumpjumper....

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 11trk4300 View Post
    Florida is riding great all over from Tampa down to Miami..rain here actually helped a lot.
    Thats kind of what I was thinking. Plus I will go to the trail rain or shine anyway.

mtbr member
    The clay soil here just turns into a disaster when it's wet. You guys dealing with sandier soil have it made in the rain I guess, it firms it up and you grip is probly through the roof. Drains fast, so it doesn't matter if it's raining. But if that wasn't the case, you'd never be able to ride in Florida huh? I think every time I've been there it's rained at least part of every day.

Rogue Exterminator
    You are only a few hours from Western NC.
    It will male for a long day but you could plan a day a trip.
    DuPont dries out fast here.

Yesterday was clear as a bell and warm enough for shorts and a t-****.
    Just stick it in granny and start grinding.

mtbr member
    Supposed to be riding after work in the morning at Oak Mtn SP, but it's not happening.
    I've been doing some hiking up there in TN lately, and making another(fourth!) short trip Wed/Thur.
    The Cumberland Plateau is fantastic, and the waterfalls are a-flowing
    I haven't had the opportunity to bring my bike yet, 'cause y'all get the same rain we do...

mtbr member
    Yeah, western NC is on my radar, but for later this year. I don't have the time to drive 250 miles each way to go for a ride - sometimes I don't have time to drive more than the 20 minutes to my closest trail. My brother and I are looking at scheduling our vacations at the same time and renting a place near Pisgah.

Owen, I actually did get a shot at a trail yesterday. There was only one place it was still wet, otherwise it was pretty nice. I can go in for hiking, but it still isn't cycling.

go vegan!
    Sep 2010
    It's been raining here a bunch too and I'm about sick of riding on this trainer every morning!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by xgjokax View Post
    It's been raining here a bunch too and I'm about sick of riding on this trainer every morning!
    I saw this, and something went through my head that I never thought I'd think, which is a sign of how bad things really are I suppose. What I thought was "At least you have a trainer..." Man, we gotta ride some trails...

mtbr member
    The rain has been great for the trails here in Central Florida, Alafia and Carter Rd park.

Now, if only we could keep all the hillbilly rednecks from destroying the dirtroads out at Carter Rd when it rains...

Nice and dirty from the rains
    Is the rainy weather just killing anyone else?-camerazoom-20130226164938041.jpgIs the rainy weather just killing anyone else?-camerazoom-20130226164902326.jpg
    Last edited by Krunk_Kracker; 02-27-2013 at 08:58 AM.