paintbucket

Race to the River, Columbia, SC 4/23

Got a race coming up here locally if anyone is interested.

http://cyclecenter.com/merchant/194/...r2006Color.pdf
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Got a race coming up here locally if anyone is interested.

http://cyclecenter.com/merchant/194/...r2006Color.pdf
    I wonder what kind of a layout they're going to use? One lap at 17 miles long seems pretty beefy. Do you think it's the Outer Loop plus Spider Woman?

mtbr member
    What's the difficulty level of that for the 9 mile beginner's lap?

mtbr member
    May 2005

Beginers lap

I did the beginers twice last year. It's not 9 miles, they extened it to a little over 10 by adding in the crooked pine trail. It wasn't difficult, it's mostly parts of stewardship and midlands mt. Except for the Road bike riders who did it in about 45 minutes everyone rode it in about an hour.

paintbucket
    I don't know the exact route, but you can always call Rebecca to find out. I do know that last year the Sports and up rode Spiderwoman 2, coming down the rockgarden (which is really beginning to get dumbed down anyhow). The beginner loop will probably be hard if you're a beginner rider as opposed to a beginner racer, but don't let that stop you. The whole point is to have fun.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I noticed they've been "smoothing" out some sections on the rock garden. Whats that all about? And don't get me started on the re-routes...

mtbr member
    cyclecenter??? I'll pass on this one those guys are asses but I might go a watch spider womens too hard of a trail for me at this stage plus being on a SS

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SS-Rider
    cyclecenter??? I'll pass on this one those guys are asses but I might go a watch spider womens too hard of a trail for me at this stage plus being on a SS
    Cycle Center... asses? Well, they are ONE of the sponsers, since Outspokin', Harrell's and Bike to Nature are also chipping in. Maybe your hatred of Cycle Center could be balanced out by neutrality towards the other three bike shops. This might be your only chance at a race in town this season....

mtbr member
    NORBA license required. Where do I get one of those? I tried Google and found lots of sites that mention NORBA, but not the NORBA site itself.

mtbr member
    Any bike shop that doesnt stand behind what they sell suck! When I bought my bike they told me I get free lifetimes worth of Maintaince & they lied

mtbr member
    Any bike shop that doesnt stand behind what they sell suck! When I bought my bike they told me I get free lifetimes worth of Maintaince & they lied
    You bought your Redline there?

mtbr member

yeah...

And when I went in they said well we're going to have to see if you got the GOLD membership I told them not to bother & I bit my tounge & walked out They closed the one one Broad river RD I guess those guys were too nice, I've heard from other people that they have been treated the same by the remaining stores.

Don't touch me!
    And when I went in they said well we're going to have to see if you got the GOLD membership I told them not to bother & I bit my tounge & walked out They closed the one one Broad river RD I guess those guys were too nice, I've heard from other people that they have been treated the same by the remaining stores.

I need to try this race out this year.

I apologize in advance for the thread-jack...
    Regarding CC: about all of the guys I've met there are cool. But I will say I had a non-pleasant experience with the owner. Here goes...

Called ahead to get my disc tabs faced, was qouted $25 for both ends. Get there and he tells me the price is per end, going on about how expensive the facing tool costs (I know can get the Hope or Park for <$125, by the way!). The mech told him that he was going to charge me what was qouted and that was that... Until he rung me up later that day. Kept on about what a great "deal" I was getting. Haven't set foot in his shop since. It's a shame, because I got hit by a car a month or two before this incident, and one of the shop guys did a excellent job re-building my rear wheel.
    Last edited by beeristasty; 04-01-2006 at 02:03 PM.
    [SIZE=3]No offense to KB, but if I see another "Strong, light, cheap. Pick two" line on this site...

[/SIZE][SIZE=1]MCM# eleventy billion

[SIZE=2]No offense to thieves, but if I see another "Ride it like you stole it" line on this site...[/SIZE]
    [/SIZE]

mtbr member
    The guys who were at the broad river store were great, but they closed 2 shops here in columbia & combined them I dont know what went wrong after that . Theres a bike shop out on two notch that I like alled Summit cycles that it only going to charge me $30.00 to put stiffer springs in my forks & that prices includes the parts.they adjusted my brakes for free which I got the feeling CC would of charged me for I told them what CC said about the goldcard membershir deal they had a good laugh on that

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by Ceezer
    NORBA license required. Where do I get one of those? I tried Google and found lots of sites that mention NORBA, but not the NORBA site itself.
    You should be able to get a 1 day license at the event. I think.

mtbr member
    I went to outsopken & looked at a few bikes & the guy I talked to said hes heard the same thing about CC go figure

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I see on cycle center's web site they have the course maps posted. What sort of times would one expect in the various age groups for the begenner course.

mtbr member

lost helmet

I left a grey GIRO transfer helmet at the race yesterday. Did anyone stay late enough to know if Cycle Center has it or where it might be? I sent CC an email. Just trying to track it down.

paintbucket
    Quote Originally Posted by extrmtao
    I left a grey GIRO transfer helmet at the race yesterday. Did anyone stay late enough to know if Cycle Center has it or where it might be? I sent CC an email. Just trying to track it down.
    They're not too good with email. I suggest you call the shop.