Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Raccoon mtn help

5K views 30 replies 9 participants last post by  Grimgrin 
#1 ·
My wife and I are camping in Chattanooga this weekend. We are gonna ride Raccoon Mtn. I have a ride in mind just wanted to check with you guys that know the area. My route is

Park @ laurel point
Ccw laurel point-> electric ave-> Live wire 1&2-> high voltage-> laurel point.

Just curious if this is the way to ride live wire for good down hill or should I go CW.

Thanks all!

#4 ·
I disagree with these routes a lot. First off I would not park at laurel point you have to drive further into raccoon and go down the one way road. I would park at the east overlook parking lot, it's the first one you get to. From there go down the little hill you drove up and enter the trail in ccw direction ride that trail till you pop out skip the live wire entrance and about 100 yards past it is an easy to miss entrance to lower chunky, ride lower chunky once you get off that go past the first entrance to small intestine and enter the one you would exit this will take you in cw direction, from there go to grindstone ridge, start megawatt and look for an entrance on your left to six flags small climb up but a real fun fast trail, you'll hop back on river gorge for a bit then go down high voltage in my opinion it's a much faster downhill trail and a bit more technical in the beginning then live wire, after you go down high voltage climb back up live wire and ride the trail back to east overlook you initially rode in the very beginning. I'm not sure of your skill,
But to me this is the way that I feel raccoon is the most fun and flows the best. I actually kind of disliked it until it rode with a friend this way.

#6 ·
I ride the **** about three times a month. I usually park at Laurel Point and go ccw. Going down Livewire 1&2 is best. Climbing Highvoltage is a challenge, but it brings you back to Laurel Point. We've had substantial rain this week and Livewire gets very damp and slick even after a few dry days. If wet at all, I'd skip Live wire 2. Take Livewire 1 as an out and back and continue on ccw towards switch yard, grindstone, and megawatt. This also brings you back to Laurel point.

#7 ·
Not sure which way I plan to ride yet, CW or CCW but, I plan to camp over at Raccoon Mountain Campground (unless there are other suggestions). Potential to ride over or should I just drive?

Anything else I should see while in Chattanooga? Passing through on a small SE tour, I've heard some amazing things but won't have much time.

Thanks.

#8 ·
Not sure what you are looking for. You could always stay at the crash pad downtown. They have bunks for 30 bucks and offer a pretty good free breakfast for guests in the morning. I always have friends stay here when they come to town if I don't have room at the house as its close proximity to where I live. It's honestly one of the nicest hostels I have ever seen and everyone that has stayed there has commented the same. If you stay there you have the flying squirrel bar right next door and you could take a half day, ride stringers ridge the downtown trail short, but fun then cruise to lunch at taco mamacita, have some beers at heaven and ale and end at flying squirrel right next to your place. Make sure you ride raccoon though it's only 10 minutes from the crash pad downtown.

#9 ·
Boom, everything I needed in less than an hour. Big thanks mfifer. I've heard awesome outdoor rec stories from Chattanooga, love that the hostel is called the Crash Pad, sadly this is a MTB and beer only trip, no bouldering this go. Stoked to check the place out and ride. Thanks!

#10 ·
What mfifer said. x2

Squirel for amazing weekend brunch
Taco mamacita = awesome tacos with locally sourced ingredients
Clydes = awesome food, brisket, love their jamaican veggie sandwich, and the jungle juice
Urban Stack = fru fru crazy inventive burgers locally sourced
Terminal = brew pub locally sourcing food
Aretha = inch thick crack filled pancakes, tiny place, prepare to wait
Hair of dog has pretty good post ride brunch, less crowded

If it's a nice day, the one way drive around the top of Raccoon toward Laurel Point across the rock fill wall is quite an amazing view. I highly recommend it if it's your first time. Laurel point has a workstand, changing booths, and typically a porta john.

Avoid Raccoon this Saturday 4/11. https://www.bikereg.com/soul-sucker major event, probably closed if you aren't involved.

#11 ·
All great info, making me a bit sad I've only got the one night planned stopping through. I remember a few years back hearing about Chattanooga and the outdoor scene. Was even on the list to move to. Life has been life and I stayed here in New England (don't get me wrong, an outdoor rec mecca of its own).

Anyway this trip is fueled by the fact that I just took a job in Charlotte, so I'm touring the SE to learn my new stomping grounds. I'm sure I'll be back to Chattanooga.

#12 ·
When you do come back, there are some other good trails around as well.

Enterprise South Nature park has a fun 10 mile loop that's a good time either way you ride it. A few fun obstacles too, not to mention some interesting scenery in the form of old storage bunkers.

Someone already mentioned Stringer's Ridge, which is great because of the proximity to the North Shore Area (good food, beer, and shops.) The trail is fast and fun with a good bit of climbing involved. They also have a sweet pump track by the parking lot.

#13 ·
You guys are getting me amped.

I printed maps off Chattanooga-SORBA's website, curious if any LBS sells maps? I ask because:
A) I really love having nice maps.
B) I find stopping by the LBS and giving them some cash is a nice way to support whats going on, and a lot of times maps go back to the advocacy group.

Just a thought. If nothing else Chattanooga will see my tourism dollars in beer and tacos.

#14 ·
Rain in forecast for Friday. Saturday and Sunday look good. Definetly take a map of **** with you. Hard to get truly lost, but any meaningful signage is nonexsistant. Should be lots of folks out this weekend to guide you though. On a sad note, break-ins do happen up there. Keep any valuables with you. IMO only, spend your time at ****, skip Stringers. The North Shore area has lots going for it without a ton of tourists. It's where Taco Mamcitas is.

#15 ·
Thanks for the heads up on car safety. I won't be in town until the end of the month and I'll be riding on a Tuesday so I assume I'll be mostly alone. Is there a place to buy a nice map? Besides the copy I printed.

As far as Raccoon Mountain goes, route suggestions? As I see it I CCW seems to be the popular direction of choice for both the inner and outer loops, not sure if I will have it in the legs to do both. Which would you suggest if I only had one? The Live Wires outer loop or the Grindstone etc. inner loop?

#16 ·
I would park at the east overlook parking lot, it's the first one you get to. From there go down the little hill you drove up and enter the trail in ccw direction, ride that trail till you pop out skip the live wire entrance and about 100 yards past it is an easy to miss entrance to lower chunky underneath some power lines ride lower chunky. Once you get off that go past the first entrance to small intestine and enter the one you would exit this will take you in cw direction on small intestine pop back out original entrance you passed by after coming from lower chunky, from there RIDE grindstone ridge. Come to megawatt entrance and take a right for the descent, look for an entrance a little bit in megawatt after first descent on your left to six flags a small climb up, but a real fun fast trail. Just basically follow signs back to east overlook at this point as the trail is a bit mundane till you reach the car.

#17 ·
and to bigb2000 personally I think riding a quick lap or two at stringers ridge and then having some tacos and brew cruising is fun as hell. I always do this with friends in town and they love it. How many people can ride singletrack from their doorstep downtown and then cruise their bike around drinking beers all without hopping back in the car? Not many.

#18 ·
I think that would be in Marion County which is not safe for cyclists. Last year a guy was attacked and maced by a group of teenagers and when he tried to press charges they charged him!!!! So you can imagine what they would do to you going up there with kids. I wouldn't risk it.

#19 ·
Stringers Ridge is near Chattanooga, Hamilton County.

A single isolated incident over a year ago does not make it unsafe. Charges against cyclist corrected and dropped, teen drivers were charged and sentenced (though arguably, sentenced lightly, they had family ties to the local sheriff).

Still, Marion it is a rural hick area. Chattanooga Police wouldn't have been so lenient on assault against cyclist.

#20 ·
If the media had not become involved I don't think the criminals ever would have been charged. Remember the sheriff's department stuck their nose into it and tried to put the blame on the victim. One of the kids had already confessed and his family called the victim and asked for forgiveness, then after the sheriff met with them they were going to sue the cyclist! When you have the sheriff's office sticking their nose into this kind of stuff then it is not an isolated incident it is a sign of wide spread corruption! Remember this is the same county that vandalized their own high school and tried to make it look like it was done by kids from South Pittsburg, a school with a lot of Black players. Several years ago, my wife and I were up there to look at some mountain property. I knocked on a door to get directions and a guy answered the door holding a machete and I mean holding it up high like he was going to chop me in half with it!!! Turns out the property I was looking for bordered his, I didn't buy it!!! If you get out in the sticks in some of the places around there it is like a cross between "Deliverence" and the "Texas Chain Saw Massacre"!!! By the way, that is where the KKK started and their decendents are still around. I'm staying out of there.

#23 ·
Not saying Stringers is a bad trail. Not worth riding if only a day or two in town. Raccoon is perfectly safe. I've ridden 100's of rides there with zero issues towards conflicts personally. Then again Ive seen others have cars busted into by a smash and grab. As far as which trail, depends on what you like. The upper loop is more techie with big rocks at Megawatt. Livewire 1 is a nice fast downhill singletrack. Livewire 2 has a ton of small rocks to deal with and slower the LW1. Climbing Highvoltage is no joke but better than climbing LW1 and LW2 together. If like bigger stuff include Chuncky and Lower Chunky. it's just a trail that you need to ride a few times to see what you like. Get some YouTube videos and see some trails (Mr.DiamondDave has some really good ones).

#24 ·
Thanks for all the help guys but as of now trip is canceled. Second trip I've canceled due to I9 hubs exploding. This one after approximately 2 miles. Judging by their response time before and obviously the shoddy product I recieved as warranty cannot foresee myself having a working bike any time soon. Still I booked a place at Crash Pad so instead of wasting money I'll come to town to drink and eat tacos. Maybe I'll dig the Organic pad out. At least those guys were cool and my pad has never broke haha.

#25 ·
Cycle Sport Concept downtown rents.

I9 makes some lightweight stuff, but I tend to sacrifice weight for durability. My mtv experience is limited, but on the road shimano hubs are bombproof, and with their rims dont even have to futz with rimtape.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#26 ·
Sweet. I figured someone must rent in the area. I had a six week tour planned so not sure I'll rent for all of it. But since I'm heading to Chattanooga anyway it sounds like a plan.

Not even sure what to do about hubs. Pretty freaking bummed currently. Might just do some hiking and exploring.

#31 ·
Tomorrow (saturday) it is supposed to rain. Today was great though, I just got back from a ride a little bit ago. Sunday is supposed to be nice too. Like 78 and dry.

Oh, and now you are obligated to post cornbread festival results. Sounded delicious, but I am moving this weekend so no time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.