mtbr member

Raccoon MTN This Friday 10/1

Hey all. I'll be heading up to ride Raccoon Mountain from Birmingham this upcoming Friday. Is anyone here interested in showing me around? I can be there at whatever time works for somebody else and can pay with tasty beverages or something of the like. I'm not the fastest rider in the world but am advanced technical. Steady climber but not the fastest either. I'd love to have some company on this ride.

If not, how about some route info. Never ridden before but it seems like it's just one big loop with a few interloops like Chunky. What's the best route directioins, CCW or CW? Any info on routes and side loops appreciated. Thanks, Chuckie
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    if the weather is good i will be there friday, im new to biking so i cant go as far as some on here,and a little slower too,but i know the area pretty good,
    i try to put in about a 2hr. ride or so but if you want i can show up a little early and maybe do the whole loop,

how far or how long do you want to ride for?

i try to be there about 11:30 on a normal ride day but if you would like i can be there about 10:30,i work 2nd shift so i got to watch my time close,cant be late......

but if someone else has more time,or can match your time schedule better thats cool, i would be there today but it is raining....

brian higdon.

mtbr member
    Hey Brian. Thanks for the response. I'd love to catch up with you and ride. I've got the whole day off so I'm looking to do the whole loop. By no means will I be doing it in a hurry or without taking plenty of stops. I'm not in incredible shape or anything. Just looking to have a fun ride, not push myself to the limit.. I'm down for riding whenever you want. My schedule is totally open. If you just want to ride some and not the whole loop that works for me too. I can ride with you and then keep going whenever you have to take off for work if not. Don't go out of your way or anything to accomodate me but if it fits in your schedule I'd love to meet up with you. Let me know what you think. Weather looks perfect for Friday. Sunny with a high in the upper 70s.
    If you ever see a turtle on a telephone pole, remember he had help getting there. Is there anything beer can't do?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    sounds good to me, i will be there at 10:30 at the east overlook parking lot...

i drive a red cavalier and ride a baby blue jamis... look for me....

mtbr member
    This is why I love mountain biking, and MTBR.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    sounds good to me, i will be there at 10:30 at the east overlook parking lot...

i drive a red cavalier and ride a baby blue jamis... look for me....

Sounds great Brian. Thanks alot. I'll be there in a black crew cab Chevy truck with MS plates. Ride a black and red Specialized Stumpy. Looking forward to it. Again I really appreciate it.

mtbr member
    Quick question about directions: I'll be coming in on TVA Access Road. Once it it T's, do I go left or right to reach the East Overlook Parking Lot? East would suggest right but who knows. Thanks and looking forward to the ride.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Just before you get to the T (a mere 20 feet before the T) there is a road, on the left side, leading to the East Overlooking Parking lot.

Check out this Google map of TVA Road. You can see the small parking lot off to the left, just before the T.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...01369&t=h&z=17

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by schaarschmidt
    Just before you get to the T (a mere 20 feet before the T) there is a road, on the left side, leading to the East Overlooking Parking lot.

Check out this Google map of TVA Road. You can see the small parking lot off to the left, just before the T.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...01369&t=h&z=17

Perfect. Thanks alot. Probably saved me some riding around being confused.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    hey guys just joined up here today i am also planning on going to raccoon mt on Friday for the 1st time i should be able to meet you there at 10:30 I will be in a GMC ext cap truck riding a black 2010 stumpjumper i have all day to ride hope to see you there.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by stew n AL
    hey guys just joined up here today i am also planning on going to raccoon mt on Friday for the 1st time i should be able to meet you there at 10:30 I will be in a GMC ext cap truck riding a black 2010 stumpjumper i have all day to ride hope to see you there.

Sounds good Stew. The more the merrier. See you there.

PS: I see you are in Al. If you are around Bham, I'll be hitting up Oak Mountain tomorrow around 4-430 depending on when I can get on the road heading that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    see you at 10:30 friday ,stew

i have been to oak mnt. once to run a 10k trail run.. what are most of the trails like there?
    after you ride raccoon, compare the two for me.. i would like to go ride there sometime,when i get a day off of work... it want be this year for sure... maybe in the spring...

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    by the way guys dont forget that raccoon is NOT in central time zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it is eastern time zone,, so my 10:30 is your 9:30...... hope i dont confuze no one...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckie33
    Sounds good Stew. The more the merrier. See you there.

PS: I see you are in Al. If you are around Bham, I'll be hitting up Oak Mountain tomorrow around 4-430 depending on when I can get on the road heading that way.
    im in the huntsville area have not been able to make it to oak mountain yet been told its nice cant make tomorrow though maybe another day see you friday.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101
    by the way guys dont forget that raccoon is NOT in central time zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    it is eastern time zone,, so my 10:30 is your 9:30...... hope i dont confuze no one...
    forgot about that thanks i hate being late.

mtbr member
    Thanks For the heads up about the time. Never crossed my mind. I'll be on time in the morning.

Singletrack Slayer
    Love it, how you guy met up on here! Puts a smile on my face You guys looked like you were having fun. I remember passing you down Electric ave on Fri. I was up there riding the last 5 days and put in 100 miles! Getting ready to race the 8hr Raccoon race next Sat.
    ~~~~~~Singletrack Slayer~~~~~~~

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidNeiles
    Love it, how you guy met up on here! Puts a smile on my face You guys looked like you were having fun. I remember passing you down Electric ave on Fri. I was up there riding the last 5 days and put in 100 miles! Getting ready to race the 8hr Raccoon race next Sat.
    can't speak for everyone but i had a great ride have to thank Brian aging for showing us around it was great meeting him and Charles, i will go back for sure.

mtbr member
    Great ride that day guys. I enjoyed every bit of it. Big thanks to Brian for showing Stew and I around. Awesome trail system in great shape. I hope I can make it back soon and maybe catch up with yall and get in another ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    it was a nice day to be out their, and i enjoyed every minute of it....
    maybe by the next ride i will be in better shape, i have been riding for little over 3 months now and love it.....maybe i will get some time off work soon too, so i can go other places to ride, ...

davidneiles,,,i would like to have stopped and talked to you for a minute i got a few things i want to run by you and get some advice on... but i have to be at work at 2:00 and it was after 1 when we passed, i was pushed for time,

i would like to have taken them down little chunky and the small intestion but i knew i didnt have time to do all the trails or the legs to keep on going either..but we hit everything else in the loop... lower chunky,six flags, and the normal loop trails.....

brian higdon