mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Raccoon Mtn Drainage?

Been raining some here in Chattanooga. Any ideas on how long it takes Raccoon to drain? I feel its been so long since we really got rain, it will dry pretty quick. Trying to ride tomorrow, so...thoughts?

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Raccoon drains fairly well. I usually tell people to wait until the roads have fully dried before heading up the mountain to ride. That seems to be a almost prefect indicator when we get light to moderate rain. In the event of hard or prolonged rain, you should wait 20 to 24 hours.

BTW, I rode the trails today. They are in good shape. The trails were on the dry/dusty side last Wednesday, and the trails could have actually benefited from a little more rain to help mat down and firm up some of sandy corners.

mtbr member
    Isn't there a race going on this weekend?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Rode up there today as well. Trails were in good shape and there were a lot of people out there today. Two of those sandy spots you speak of, almost took me out today. My bike slid out, but I got my foot down in time. Race is on Sunday. I think there is a time trial on this coming Friday as well.

schaarschmidt: Are horses allowed to ride up there? There were some large piles up there today. Maybe they were using one to hang all of the signs and tape.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Horses are not supposed to be riding the trails. If you see a horse on the trail please call the number for TVA security which is listed below. I suspect this the is same person who has been caught riding up there in the past. Apparently the only way he will stop riding is if he is arrested. Sad it has to come to that but he has been repeatedly warned and continues to ride despite being very aware that he is not allowed on the trails.

The horse droppings pose a huge risk of introducing invasive species of plants on RM, where there exists several species of endangered plants that need to be protected. We have taken huge steps to make sure that we avoid any of the endangered or threatened species of plants, including spending thousands of dollars on environmental surveys, but that would all mean nothing if a horse spread kudzu or some other fast growing invasive on the mountain, and sadly the mountain bikers would most likely be blamed for the introduction of any invasive spread by horses.

The TVA security phone number is: (423) 751-3783. If you ride there in the morning, please save it in your phone. The horse rider rides early morning.
    Last edited by schaarschmidt; 07-10-2010 at 11:04 PM.

mtbr member
    I saw horse crap on the road and thought that was strange also. We have a lot or horse traffic here on the Pinhotti and boy they damage the trail and leave crap for us to ride through. Hope you can catch the guy!

Brian
    Ride it like you stole it!