Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Raccoon mountain- Local knowledge needed

Hey gang,

I need to get a little advice about the trails at Raccoon mountain. Ive looked at a few maps on-line but I wanted to get your opinions on which trails to hit and rotation/direction. I'd like to put together a fun 15-20 mile run together. I am a strong intermediate rider and my girlfriend is a beginner. I live in Western N.C. and ride Tanasi weekly and just heard about Raccoon and I'm excited to try it.

Thanks for your advice!
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

Pale Rider
    Hmmm... not sure you can piece a 15-20 mile ride for a strong intermediate and beginner together at Raccoon. A good ride for you would be to start at the East Overlook parking area and ride around the loop in a CCW direction. Start by riding down the paved entrance road to the parking lot, and the trail starts right across from the stop sign. Hit Small Intestine for sure as you do the loop.

Maybe stop by Enterprise South Nature Park for the beginner ride. It's fun for all levels.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    park at the new trail head.. live wire... up live wire left at top to upper chunky , down upper chunky to lower chunky, down lower chunky, over to small intestion on to grindstoe ridge, down mega watt over to luarl point on to electric ave. up to east overlook on to live wire and back down to parking lot....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by bhigdon101 View Post
    park at the new trail head.. live wire... up live wire left at top to upper chunky , down upper chunky to lower chunky, down lower chunky, over to small intestion on to grindstoe ridge, down mega watt over to luarl point on to electric ave. up to east overlook on to live wire and back down to parking lot....
    Not if you want to keep your girlfriend...

Depending on who's happiness is more important you might please her by going from East Overlook using this map:

Electric Avenue1>Electric Ave2>River Gorge>Laurel Point>Elec1>East Overlook>Connector>Small Intestine>Connector>East Overlook

Minor climbs (for a beginner) and mostly flowy stuff with only about 2 miles total of technical trail. That 2 miles is over the course of that loop.

For you: Go back sometime by yourself and ride a loop one direction. If you still feel spry, ride it the other way after that.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Maybe Hig was giving me the "dump your girlfriend" route.. lol

We have a trail system called Hanging Dog which is infamous for that locally. Thank you guys for the information. I printed a map out and will map your suggestions out.

Thanks again.
    I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I just hate vegetables.

mtbr member
    Suggesting MegaWatt for a beginner is pretty cruel.

mtbr member

No doubt....

Quote Originally Posted by Slee_Stack View Post
    Suggesting MegaWatt for a beginner is pretty cruel.
    Avoid megawatt and rivergorge trail with your girlfriend. Make use of everything near east overlook and add electric avenue and you should be golden
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member

While you are in the area...

you should hit 5-points also. There is 15-20 miles of trail that is all doable for a beginner and flows like water. She would appreciate less technical part of it and you would appreciate the flow of the system. Maybe 30 minutes from Raccoon Mountain Trails.
    Too wet to ride!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliams View Post
    Hmmm... not sure you can piece a 15-20 mile ride for a strong intermediate and beginner together at Raccoon. A good ride for you would be to start at the East Overlook parking area and ride around the loop in a CCW direction. Start by riding down the paved entrance road to the parking lot, and the trail starts right across from the stop sign. Hit Small Intestine for sure as you do the loop.

Maybe stop by Enterprise South Nature Park for the beginner ride. It's fun for all levels.
    ESNP is indeed a fun place. Lots of friendly people too, I go every weekend!
    2013 Specialized P 26 AM green/purple. Nuff said

Giant Faith

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jakessnh View Post
    Not if you want to keep your girlfriend...

Depending on who's happiness is more important you might please her by going from East Overlook using this map:

Electric Avenue1>Electric Ave2>River Gorge>Laurel Point>Elec1>East Overlook>Connector>Small Intestine>Connector>East Overlook

Minor climbs (for a beginner) and mostly flowy stuff with only about 2 miles total of technical trail. That 2 miles is over the course of that loop.

For you: Go back sometime by yourself and ride a loop one direction. If you still feel spry, ride it the other way after that.

Good luck.
    Is there a map that uses these trail names? I've got one from Raccoon Mountain's website and I can sort of figure out where these are but if someone could point me in the direction of a new map or do a little translating I would appreciate it. Looking to go there tomorrow morning.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found one that shows what electric avenue is. I figure once we get up there it will be easier to get our bearings .
    Last edited by JaSkynyrd; 07-06-2012 at 11:40 AM.

Woods Ready
    Sadly, I haven't made it to Racoon in a long time. There is a new parking area? Where is that?

I have ridden the entire loop around the top (all the trails listed above) and the last time I was there there was rumor of the next phase beginning a little lower on the mountain. Whatever came of that? The Sorba Chattanooga forum is kind of dead.

Is there another Local forum that you guys use?

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i keep up to date with sorba chattanooga on facebook

phase 1 is complete, goes from the gravel connector trail to a parking lot on the backside of the mountain about half way down (massengale parking lot)

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Making my first trip next week from Indiana. I found a map that had a yellow 7.5 mile trail marked that said flagged and ready for construction is this part complete or just the trails in green? Thanks
    Bob

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bboehman View Post
    Making my first trip next week from Indiana. I found a map that had a yellow 7.5 mile trail marked that said flagged and ready for construction is this part complete or just the trails in green? Thanks
    Bob
    not sure what map you have, if you could post it up i could help you out more...

but only small section of the new trail is done, 1.5 miles or so...

mtbr member
    May 2009
    It was off a google search and came from sorbachattanooga.org/images. You answered my question though as far as the new section. Thanks.
    Bob

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Will the trails be ok to ride on 7/19? Didn't know how much rain you got today?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    still raining some.. got lots of rain in a short period of time... not good

mtbr member
    May 2009
    This was going to be my first trip but not if it will cause damage if someone can post late tonight I will try again tomorrow since today is wet. I am 100 miles away so don't want to waste the trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bboehman View Post
    This was going to be my first trip but not if it will cause damage if someone can post late tonight I will try again tomorrow since today is wet. I am 100 miles away so don't want to waste the trip.

Chattanooga got a lot of rain last night and this morning... it is safe to say the trails are saturated.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Planning a trip to Chattanooga this weekend. Is the Freeride area completely built? and, where's the best place to start, best direction to ride for the more intense sections? riding with 6" of travel, and would rather ride up the easier sections than up the INTENSE downhills.... Tried to follow this thread, but not sure which parking areas you guys are talking about. the map I've got is on the tva.com website

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    i like parking at east overlook and going ccw to upper chunky, the freeride area, its all nature features, you will have to ride around this area and find you a line that you like, there are about 5 different lines in this area, then cross over the gravel road under the powerlines onto lower chunky... no sign there... very small trail leads into the woods... it has some rock drops and flowly single track...comes out on main trail take right toward grindstone ridge, at bottom of grind stone take a right onto small intestion... then head back to car for a good 9 mile ride, or head up grindstone over to megawatt, then to river gorge and laurel point and continue on to electric ave. back to east overlook... nice big loop for a 18 mile loop... forgot.... on megawatt there is a trail that takes a sharp left up a hill called six flags... no sign here either... good climb but a good downhill run...

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    thanks for the info. I can't find ccw or upper chunky on my map, and the site won't let me post links since I haven't been posting here long enough. I've got little chunky on the map and the other trails you mentioned. I'm guessing from your post that you suggest going counter clockwise from the east brow parking lot?

mtbr member
    Its the Freeride area on this map:

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    sorry... ccw is counter clock wise..... this is the best map online.. and thanks for posting it up....

upper chunky is the black trails off of east rim trail

white line between east rim and the connecter trail is a gravel road... off the gravel road is lower chunky and phase one of new trail is done.. live wire...
    this map it shows to be yellow and coming off lower chunky.. wrong... off the gravel road and it is a out and back trail as of now... 1.5 mile long down the mountain and right back up...

if you follow lower chunky all the way out it comes on the gravel road.. past lower chunky.. take a right and look hard to the left...small trail looks like a deer trail.. SMALL and no sign..

take the red connector on around to blue grindstone.. there is a sign here go right onto small intestin on the map it is S. I. ride it clock wise and head out or continue on back to grindstone and over to megawatt ... the black trail.. you will pass the visitors center..

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Perfect, I should've caught CCW as counterclockwise! I've been lurking long enough! Thanks for the info. As long as the rain holds out, I'm going to check it out saturday!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast