mtbr member
    Dec 2005

Question from an ignorant Canadian ;-)

Hello there all.
    I am planning on taking a week in late February to come down south in the USA to have some winter riding time that does not involve snow.

I plan on driving, and therefore the further north the better. Therefore, the question I have, is how far south am I going to have to travel before I can expect reasonable daytime temperature (defined as no snow on the ground and something above about 50 degrees).

I was looking at Georgia, there seem to be a lot of interesting trails such as the Olympic course, but I looked into the climate at that time of year and I am unsure.

Other than that there is Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

Thoughts?

paintbucket
    That time of year is hit or miss. Could be nasty cold, could be 70 degrees. The trick will be to be flexible. One place you didn't mention is Arkansas, which has the Womble trail and Syllamo (both IMBA epic ride trails) as well as the Ouachita trail. In Oklahoma (not too far away I don't think) there's a bunch of trail outside of Tulsa, and in Louisiana's Kisatchee National Forest is the Wild Azalea trail. All of those are within half a days drive of each other I think, so if weather sucked in one location you could just move your base of operations to another.

More to the east, there's Pisgah in NC as a possibility, with the N Georgia mountains as a back up, then all the trails around Atlanta (like the International Horsepark/Olympic course you mention), stuff 2-3 hours away in South Carolina or the opposite direction in Alabama, and then Florida further south.

I'd pick either Arkansas or Pisgah/N Georgia as your preferred destination, drive down, and play it by ear from there.
    When the going gets weird its bedtime.

Having a nice day!
    Agreed. It is pretty hit or miss around here (Atlanta) this time of year. Let's see, went out for a ride Tuesday, sunny and 55. Today, rainy and floating around the freezing mark. If you want more guaranteed warm weather, I'd keep going south to Florida, although the trails will lack the topography we have up here. That said, I've seen a lot of pictures where the folks down there do a great job of making the most of what they have and the trails can be pretty technical. One of the guys I ride with is from Tampa and he always is telling me what fun trails they have there.

Also, while I'd love to go riding in Arkansas, I'd stay further east if it were me. Growing up in N. Texas, I can say that the winter here is much milder for the most part than it is there. Yes, it can get warmer in that area, but those arctic fronts just love to dip way down in the middle of the continent before sliding north as they move east.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by J0RD1E
    Hello there all.
    I am planning on taking a week in late February to come down south in the USA to have some winter riding time that does not involve snow.

I plan on driving, and therefore the further north the better. Therefore, the question I have, is how far south am I going to have to travel before I can expect reasonable daytime temperature (defined as no snow on the ground and something above about 50 degrees).

I was looking at Georgia, there seem to be a lot of interesting trails such as the Olympic course, but I looked into the climate at that time of year and I am unsure.

Other than that there is Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas.

Thoughts?
    Here is a good trail resource for Georgia, Alabama and Tenn. http://www.sorbachattanooga.org/trails/trails.php
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks, SSinGA. I help administer that database so if you have a trail that needs to be added and you have the pertinent info please PM me and I'll get you to send us the info.

not so super...
    Quote Originally Posted by Asahi
    Thanks, SSinGA. I help administer that database so if you have a trail that needs to be added and you have the pertinent info please PM me and I'll get you to send us the info.
    I didn't see any info for Bull mountain/ Jake mountain trails.
    Nothing to see here.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    All you have to do is email me (trey@itrca.com) or Jeffrey (schaarschmidt@yahoo.com) with info. I know Jeff wants as much complete info before he puts it in the database.

Trey