Team Sanchez

Question for Florida residents...

I may be moving to the Naples area in the near future for grad school. I own 2 mtn bikes and a road bike. What is the scene like? Do I get rid of my mtn bikes and pimp out my road bike, or is there enough riding in the area to justify keeping the mtn bikes. I've got a Tallboy, and a Mojo HD. Thanks for the info in advance!
    Team Sanchez; "Always hittin the upper lip"

mtbr member
    May 2005
    There's nothing there that I know of. The closest real trail would be Markham Park, about an hour across the alley, in Broward. You might want to keep one of them for road trips. There are some very good trail if you'd be willing to travel a bit. Markham, Oleta, Amelia, and V-Key to the south. Alfia, Santos, Carter's Rd to the north.

mtbr member
    Not much in the Naples area itself but some good places to ride within an hour or two.

Hi There!
    Definitely do not get rid of your mountain bikes, there are some very good trails in Florida; as others said maybe not in your immediate area. There are some within an hour and a half.
    NTFTC

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Caloosahatchee / Alva is probably closest and a really fun XC trail and about as fast as it gets, .....problem is it doesn't do well with rain and has been closed most of the summer. Otherwise you will be driving North or East a couple hours.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I know a couple of guys that make the drive over from Naples every weekend to the east coast. It's not a terrible drive to Markham Park. Maybe 90 minutes with a good radar detector
    Still looking for mountains in Florida

mtbr member
    You moving from Arizona by chance?

I arrived in July from Colorado and I am constantly looking for decent mtn and road rides here in Florida. Markham is straight east of Naples and has some good loops. Alva in north Fort Myers is actually the closest but under lots of water right now. It's OK when it's dry. Alaphia River which is just southeast of Tampa is super high quality with lots a twists. Probably my favorite so far! Ocala which is northeast of Tampa has a neighboring campground, a yearly mtn bike festival, and lots of trail options. Kicked my ass there last week and loved every minute of it!

Road routes can be challenging as well with little to no climbing. Plenty of long roads with dedicated bike lanes in Naples though and plenty of group rides.

As far as keeping or getting rid of bikes? Never sell a bike... ever. Keep them all!

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Or you could always plot a course across the 'glades going over the levees. There are a lot of loops to do also. Bring lots of water and sunscreen, and it's better to go in the cooler/dry months.
    Still looking for mountains in Florida

Hi There!
    For your road bike there is a 15 mile loop right in the Everglades called Shark Valley. You only ride it in the winter or else you'll get eaten alive by mosquitoes, but in the winter the gators come out and sun all over the place. You might see hundreds of gators laying around on the side of the road.
    NTFTC