mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Question/concern for the Balm Boyette locals

I have recently taken up the sport of mountain biking, and it has become an addiction. I am planning on attending the fat tire festival in November and joining swamp club. I live in Ellenton, which is about 30 minutes from Balm and Alafia. My first trip was to Balm Boyette, and it was sooooo much fun. I loved it, but I have not returned. I do Alafia about 3 times a week, and purchased the annual pass.

I am a local police officer, and the only thing I could think of when I left my car for the 2 mile trek into the trail system, is my car getting burglarized, to the point where it was hard to enjoy myself. I think about just emptying out my car and leaving it unlocked so I dont return to a broken window the next time I return, were someone to go snooping.

My question, Are there a lot of vehicle burglaries at Balm? I hope not, but it seems like prime hunting ground for people looking.

mtbr member
    I've never had any problems while parking there, nor have I heard of any. Doesn't mean that it can't happen though.
    '14 Scott Genius 730 650b
    '14 Niner ROS9 HT 1x10

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    There have been a few breakins that I've heard about, but not in quite awhile. I think on the weekends that place is so busy that it is pretty safe. But during the week when you are the only one there is when I'd be wary. A few years ago I got back to the parking area and a guy had his car stolen. He used one of those hide-a-key deals and the thief found the key. That would suck!
    AKA: Slowfatguy

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks guys. Thats my problem, I usually go on weekdays, because I am off, and its less crowded. But the thought of my car being the only one there, seems like a recipe for a break in. Plus I drive an xterra, so I really cant lock stuff in my trunk. May be better ogg stashing my belongings in the bushes along the trail and just leaving th truck open.

XXIX
    I drive a jeep so I know the feeling. I use a Tuffy under the seat lock box to keep my valuables in. Im sure you can find one that will work in your Xterra.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I also drive a Wrangler and haven't had a problem. My glove box and center console lock, but I don't bother. I take my wallet and keys with me in my camelbak. The only "valuables" I leave are a Garmin and iPod.

I work for an insurance company so I think we have the same idea about just leaving the car unlocked. It seems like most times the most expensive thing lost is the window itself.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    WOW, leaving an Ipod and a GPS is a burglars dream. That box is a good idea. I actually have a similar type aluminum safe that is used to store drugs in a K9 truck for training purposes. I have an extra one that I am considering putting in the truck. Thanks everyone. Hope to see ya out there on the trails. ( Ill be the guy sucking wind, standing on the side as you pass by)

I hate that name.
    There have been a lot of problems with vehicle break-ins up at Flatwoods, and I also seem to remember hearing about a few at Boyette from my HCSO Deputy friend.

I have a locking metal box too, its just a lot bigger.
    Worked at Trek/Fisher dealer 2008-2013. Only a little biased.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by floridalawdog
    Thanks guys. Thats my problem, I usually go on weekdays, because I am off, and its less crowded. But the thought of my car being the only one there, seems like a recipe for a break in. Plus I drive an xterra, so I really cant lock stuff in my trunk. May be better ogg stashing my belongings in the bushes along the trail and just leaving th truck open.
    Take the COP car if your aloud off the clock.

Only an idiot would break into one.