TallahasseeTrails

Pugsley at Tour de Felasco

Some snaps w/captions from the 50M+ ride:
    http://members3.clubphoto.com/john27...13/guest.phtml
    Event/Park CSO site:
    www.sanfelasco.net
    I had a great time pedaling the Pugs at the 4th Tour de Felasco ''Eco-Tour'' yesterday. Some sweet trail sections. Friendly volunteers all over the place.
    No snow for the 26X3.7 tan-sidewalled Endomorph tires. But P-Snoop has proven to be quite singletrack capable. Mudpits, sand, switchbacks, roots, logpiles - Pugs loves 'em all. Do not ride this bike if you don't enjoy answering all manner of questions about it!
    No, I didn't finish before some Juarez guy nicknamed Tinker.
    John

I like Squishy Bikes

ahhh...

I did the 1st Tour de Fiasco
    We Camped out & braved a record cold snap (32° overnight low).
    Since I ride a lot in the Smoky Mtns, I thought we'd plow thru
    all 50 flat Fla miles without getting winded.
    I stopped at 32 miles, dog tired.
    The constant never ending pedaling wore me out.

Great support crew & an all around event I wont soon forget.
    A dirty book is rarely dusty

Shortcutting Hikabiker
    One of the guys I work with said he saw someone out there on a Pugsley with the huge tires...

Sounds like it was a great event again this year.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005

Didn't I see you Sunday at Alafia?

I was riding Alafia Sunday and passed a gent with that set of rubber on. How do they work on the roots? Interesting pick of tires. jaydog/NSB

TallahasseeTrails

Pugsley sighting?

Quote Originally Posted by jaydog
    I was riding Alafia Sunday and passed a gent with that set of rubber on. How do they work on the roots? Interesting pick of tires. jaydog/NSB
    Wasn't me, but I'm sure I'd love to get down to Tampa to give Alifia a try. The Endomorphs present such a large amount of rubber to the trail that they manage to find grip somewhere. Certainly, the knobs on the heavier (like we're counting grams/ounces here) Gazzaloddi 3.0s would be preferable in some instances. I mention the massive Nokian Gazzaloddis, because they were the tire most folks ran (for width) before the Endomorphs were released, completing Surly's Pugsley project.
    I was running ~12psi in the tan sidewall Endomorphs at San Felasco. I initially ran 16psi when I set up the Pugs. That was launching me on anything much rougher than linoleum. I'm currently playing around with 10psi. With my flyweight, I don't "damp the bounce" of 12psi when hitting certain trail obstacles. I'll eventually post (probably in the Surly forum) when I hit the perfect pressure for my weight on rooty singletrack. Felasco isn't really challenging (for the most part) in that regard.
    btw, I use the "Wrench Force Digital Air Machine" floor pump to set the necessary low pressures. It reads out in tenths, making low pressure adjustments a snap.
    Speaking of that set of rubber working on the roots (did I just type that?), my most humorous moment riding the Pugsley occurred here in Tallahassee on Red Bug Trail a couple weeks or so ago.
    http://members3.clubphoto.com/john27...39/guest.phtml
    I was poking around Red Bug on the Pugs, having neglected anything resembling technical singletrack since getting the bike. Ok, a lot of Tallahassee's Blair Witch Trail, Fern Trail, and Miccosukee Greenway's full length. But Red Bug has foiled my miserable skills many times in the past. As I was preparing to re-enter a section known as Log Jam, the Higher Ground Bikes guys crossed in front of me. Average value of their dual-springy bikes was $4k or so. Team this, platform that, weird spokes - you get the idea. (Like my lonesome Stumpy Stan's 1394g [!] wheelset/SLR saddle/blahblah FSR that doesn't get ridden anymore.) HG owner Todd May told me to get the Pugsley in front of him so he could "watch it work on the roots." I fell in, grinning ear to ear as I followed the real bikers. As we climbed a fairly rooty switchback, the guy on the Cannondale Team Scalpel pulls off the trail. I figure he's having a mechanical. Turns out he apparently thought I was needing to pass, so he pulled over. He didn't notice what I was pedaling. When he saw it, it was "What the HELL is that??" Hilarious. And that's with ME pedaling, not someone competent.
    So, the Pugsley and its set of rubber handles rooty singletrack pretty well. Just ignore the weight, it'll grip!
    John
    http://members3.clubphoto.com/john272201 "Tallahassee Trails"