Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Pre-riding the Snake course

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Duckman 
#1 ·
I'm hoping to ride some or all of the last 8 miles of the 34 mile course. I understand it's pretty technical and I'd like to check it out Friday afternoon prior to Saturday's TT. Any suggestion on how to do this? Not sure where to start. Also wondering if anyone can compare this section to typical Pisgah riding?

Appreciate any help!

Thanks,
Seth

#2 ·
You could drive up dug gap battle rd to the top, about 1.5mi or so from where you park for the race. There's spaces on the side of the road you can park at and then ride up the gravel road towards the trail. You would have to out and back it from there or you could ride the whole second half by parking in the big lot on hwy136. There's another way to get to where the last 8mi starts by going down stover's creek rd but I don't know how to get there very well.

#3 ·
Thanks - that helps a lot. Are the 1st half and second half of the final eight miles pretty similar? If so, probably will just ride backwards for a few miles from Dug Gap. If not, I may ride from Stover's Creek Rd. I think I figured out how to get there, would probably just drop a car and ride the final 8 one way.

#4 ·
I think riding from Stover's to the towers would give you what you need to know. You'd get all of the technical stuff in that way. Everything before Stover's is just up and down to make you tired for the last 8 miles :eek:ut:

At some point I'm going to go up there and ride just that last section so I can see what it's like when my tongue isn't hanging in my spokes.

#6 ·
Nothing like Pisgah, since it more Plateau type terrian. Doesnt' sound like much, but I hope you didn't do this on Fri, and expect to race it on Sat. I know I'd suffer, doing so. Lots of endless rock formations like this...

I raced it on Sat. I've raced it countless times since its very first event in 05. Still very tough terrain.

#7 ·
Ended up avoiding the logistics of a one way pre-ride so I started at Dug Gap and rode to just past the wall, and then flipped it and returned to Dug. Worked out to about 7-1/2 miles on Friday. Raced the 34 on Saturday - all things considered it went pretty well. I definitely struggled more with the technical sections once I had 20+ miles already in my legs on Saturday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.