DaFaJa

Bonking ... not feelin' well Poison ivy / oak

How do you guys deal with this...I think I have it again,..I cant catch a break, I still had prednisone left over from last time, So I will be ok...but do you guys do anything that helps from getting it? I cant catch a Break!
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Learn what it looks like and keep an eye out.
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

mtbr member
    Calf or knee high socks and washing them and your legs and arms with soap and water immediately when you get home.

I saw someone on TV say that making a paste of baking soda and water and applying it to the area affected helps cool it, possibly witch hazel might work too.

If you live near an ocean, go to the beach, sit in the water and very gently rub a little sand on the area, just enough to lightly scratch the skin and open any blisters. Then surf or play in the water for a while. Should clear up in a day or so.

mtbr member
    Some of our trails are covered in it. Luckily, I don't seem to be as allergic to it as others.

Wear knee-high socks, and arm coolers to cover the skin. Scrub down (x2) with good quality, dish washing soap... cheaper than Tecnu.

DaFaJa
    Great info, Thanks for the help, Last time I had it, it was out of control, all most 2 mo's legs, eyes & arms...this time it looks to be very small...I might start bring me wash stuff with me to the trails so when I am done I can wash off b4 getting in my truck...I only say this because last time it was on my seat, and I kept infecting my self over and over..b4 I knew where it was coming from..
    Tampa FL USA

Jackalope Hunter
    Its not a preventative, but a product called Zanfel works great for Poison Ivy, Oak or Sumac. Its a scrub, kinda pricey (like $30-40) but its worth it. Takes the itch away immediately and get rid of the blisters in a couple days. Tecnu wash is pretty good if used right away. Once its blistering, the Zanfel works better. You can get either at most drug stores.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Welcome to Florida... errr, anywhere in the South.

XXIX
    +1 For Tecnu, I keep some in the jeep with a jug of water. If I know I get into some I wash down after the ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    My wife is Hyper allergic to it and I've unfortunately brought it home to her before. I have since learned to take a gallon of water with me and Dial or Palmolive dish soap. Simply scrub down exposed areas after your ride using the dish soap and water then wash your clothes as soon as you get home. She hasn't caught it since (neither have I for that matter) and I've thus remained out of the dog house. PLUS its a helluva lot cheaper than using the "special" products such as Tecnu and Zanfel which only seem to spread it like a California wildfire for her anyway......

thats my 2 cents, your mileage may vary but it works for me, East TN is covered in the stuff....

mtbr member
    Is there a lot of this poison ivy, oak and sumac at the Santos Trailhead?

DaFaJa
    All most 20 miles in the woods yesterday, Got home and washed my legs and arms real good, then showered, Looks like everything is good today...
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    May 2008
    In SFL we have Brazillian Pepper, its a shrub that grow into a tree (when it blooms it has red berries all over it), some people are allergic to it. The BP is an invasive species that has taken over in many areas. The rash a ***** to get rid of - often lasting weeks at a time. I use a combination of Technu scrub and Benedryl. The Technu stops the itch while Benedryl helps with allergic reaction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Baby wipes at the trail then a shower as soon as you get home. Just make sure you're not allergic to the baby wipes.

I've bought some of this for the next time I do trail work: Ivy Block

Also, the last time I had contact dermatitis the doc told me to take claritin (or zyrtec) with zantak 150. Seemed to work better than Benedryl and without the drowsiness.

Jackalope Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by iamspartacus View Post
    Is there a lot of this poison ivy, oak and sumac at the Santos Trailhead?
    No. As long as you stay on the trails at Santos you shouldn't have a problem. Just be careful if you step into the bushes to relieve yourself.
    B Team represent

OMBA/IMBA Bike Patrol

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I have bad reactions as well. Worked outside for years, Now retired. When it gets out of control, a visit to the Doc and a steroid shot is the only solution. Knocks it out.

mtbr member
    Last season, a few of the trails between the vortex and land bridge were had a solid ground cover of it on both sides of the trail. Definitely not an area you'd want to bail into. I've noticed a few patches mixed into the Virginia Creeper off to the side of the trails at Boyette and Alafia, but nothing in the trails themselves.

OP, where were you riding when you managed to get into the ivy?

Quote Originally Posted by jayjudy13 View Post
    No. As long as you stay on the trails at Santos you shouldn't have a problem. Just be careful if you step into the bushes to relieve yourself.

mtbr member
    jayjudy13 and Qfactor03, thank you for the feedback. I am just getting started as a noob and am looking forward to my first ride out at Santos on my new bike next week.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    I used to be severly allergic to it, I once got poison ivy so bad my eyes swelled shut
    Wipe down the affected area with bleach it will kill it everytime
    Burns like hell for a few min but it will be gone by the next day

Now i can rub myself with it and wont get it